New Rigz n Shizz Yo

hikaricloud

Golden Master
So I'm reevaluating my big new computer purchase I'm hoping to pull off after the holidays, and I'm trying to be really honest with myself about what I need in a machine instead of just getting what I want, lol. So far it's been going okay, this is what I've come up with:

Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo)
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-Z77MX-D3H LGA 1155 Intel Z77
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG 840 Series MZ-7TD120BW 2.5" 120GB SATA III SSD
Newegg.com - OCZ ZT Series 750W Fully-Modular Power Supply
Newegg.com - CORSAIR Hydro Series H60 (CW-9060007-WW) Water Cooler

Now I'm stuck on a case...I can't really justify getting a behemoth case that costs over 300 bucks (no matter how cool it is damnit!), and I've been wanting a smaller case anyway. I'm torn on these three right now:

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!

The 200R is especially interesting, because it still looks to have room for everything I need while being tastefully compact. USB 3.0 in front, has enough space to house 4 SSDs and 4 HDDs (may never need that many SSDs, but good to know I have options), dust filters, black interior...lot of good features for 50 bucks for sure. And a 5 year warranty?!

The CM 690II has the X-Dock of course, which isn't a necessity I suppose but still awesome. And I really like the front panel being on top. I also have a weakness for mesh, especially in the front. Downside is it's USB 2.0 in the front, but I also don't have 3.0 devices...yet.

Storm Scout 2 has USB 3.0 in the front plus extra current smartphone/tablet charging? Not sure if that's just a thing with USB 3.0 or not. And...well, it just looks cool. Front panel on top, mesh everywhere, removable top mesh panel to clean fans...I feel like it kills the CM 690 II in looks for sure. Also 3 pounds lighter, and I was looking for a light case.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Re: Potentially the longest thread in history...

I'd go with the Storm Scout 2. I have the Storm Scout and like it. I didn't know there was a 2. The USB 3.0 would be nice to have in front. And it's got handles so you can move it around easily (if you need that). I think it looks better then the other 2 also.

So I'm reevaluating my big new computer purchase I'm hoping to pull off after the holidays, and I'm trying to be really honest with myself about what I need in a machine instead of just getting what I want, lol. So far it's been going okay, this is what I've come up with:

Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo)
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-Z77MX-D3H LGA 1155 Intel Z77
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG 840 Series MZ-7TD120BW 2.5" 120GB SATA III SSD
Newegg.com - OCZ ZT Series 750W Fully-Modular Power Supply
Newegg.com - CORSAIR Hydro Series H60 (CW-9060007-WW) Water Cooler

Now I'm stuck on a case...I can't really justify getting a behemoth case that costs over 300 bucks (no matter how cool it is damnit!), and I've been wanting a smaller case anyway. I'm torn on these three right now:

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!

The 200R is especially interesting, because it still looks to have room for everything I need while being tastefully compact. USB 3.0 in front, has enough space to house 4 SSDs and 4 HDDs (may never need that many SSDs, but good to know I have options), dust filters, black interior...lot of good features for 50 bucks for sure. And a 5 year warranty?!

The CM 690II has the X-Dock of course, which isn't a necessity I suppose but still awesome. And I really like the front panel being on top. I also have a weakness for mesh, especially in the front. Downside is it's USB 2.0 in the front, but I also don't have 3.0 devices...yet.

Storm Scout 2 has USB 3.0 in the front plus extra current smartphone/tablet charging? Not sure if that's just a thing with USB 3.0 or not. And...well, it just looks cool. Front panel on top, mesh everywhere, removable top mesh panel to clean fans...I feel like it kills the CM 690 II in looks for sure. Also 3 pounds lighter, and I was looking for a light case.

Thoughts?
Is the 3770k really justifiable even when you're doing other work besides gaming? The 3570k will still be 2-3x faster than your current CPU.

Wouldn't get the Gigabyte board.

If you go with the Samsung SSD then get the 830 or 840pro. Look at both the Sequential and IOPS difference. You could always scrap that and get an Intel 520.

If you're buying a new PSU I wouldn't get the OCZ. Especially 750w which is pretty overkill.

As for the case, the 200r gets my liking for the same reasoning you explained. The ONLY complaint I have about it is no rubber grommets for the management holes.
Should have made a thread for this :)

Is the 3770k really justifiable even when you're doing other work besides gaming? The 3570k will still be 2-3x faster than your current CPU.

For that, I'm more going for future-proofing. I considered the i5 and it's still something I'm looking into.

Wouldn't get the Gigabyte board.

Really? Everything I've read about it seems to be good and I was looking for micro ATX.

If you go with the Samsung SSD then get the 830 or 840pro. Look at both the Sequential and IOPS difference. You could always scrap that and get an Intel 520.

I had the 830 in my cart before, but it was 10 bucks more just for 8gb, and the 840 had better speed. Wasn't sure if the 840 Pro was a necessity.

If you're buying a new PSU I wouldn't get the OCZ. Especially 750w which is pretty overkill.

Picked that one over the 650w I had since it's a $10 difference, after doing some calculating (including some overclocking estimations) I estimated a need for about 525-550w, so figured I would overshoot for the 10 bucks.

Also, what's wrong with the OCZ? I've had one in my machine for years now. Not to mention there's not a lot of fully modular PSUs that I like.

As for the case, the 200r gets my liking for the same reasoning you explained. The ONLY complaint I have about it is no rubber grommets for the management holes.

Yeah, it's really nice. Andi said she wanted me to get that one too. I think I'm torn between that one and the Scout 2...I can't help but like the mesh and ability to see some of my LED lighting lol.

Should have made a thread for this :)

Probably, didn't really think about it last night.

For that, I'm more going for future-proofing. I considered the i5 and it's still something I'm looking into.

Really? Everything I've read about it seems to be good and I was looking for micro ATX.

I had the 830 in my cart before, but it was 10 bucks more just for 8gb, and the 840 had better speed. Wasn't sure if the 840 Pro was a necessity.

Picked that one over the 650w I had since it's a $10 difference, after doing some calculating (including some overclocking estimations) I estimated a need for about 525-550w, so figured I would overshoot for the 10 bucks.

Also, what's wrong with the OCZ? I've had one in my machine for years now. Not to mention there's not a lot of fully modular PSUs that I like.

Yeah, it's really nice. Andi said she wanted me to get that one too. I think I'm torn between that one and the Scout 2...I can't help but like the mesh and ability to see some of my LED lighting lol.

Probably, didn't really think about it last night.

Performance will be the same. Virtual threads are still virtual. As it stands, I have HT off and will probably keep it off. Believe it or not, it hampers gaming performance sometimes.

The 840 you have linked has a sequential write of 130MB where as most 830s are 400-500MB. The 840pro raises that bar again with slightly higher IOPS than the 830.

Gigabyte have been making some junk lately, and their RMA is hit and miss. Before I was saying total crap BUT some people here have had "good luck" with them. My personal experience is twice I sent out something for RMA and didn't get it back until 6 weeks later on both boards, different years. Their excuse for both was "they lost it". I **** you not. These days, I point everybody in the direction of ASRock and their Extreme 3 boards mainly.

OCZ PSUs have been going pop. It seems you and Trotter have been lucky. As it has it that Verizon guys PSU was a Fatal1ty 550w he had in his server. It literally did nothing, and died on him taking out his motherboard and CPU, possibly his RAM too. With the quality of their products lately (not so good) + the fact they are being investigated probably due to a crooked pencil I would not put any trust in them. Your choice.
2 alternatives:
Newegg.com - CORSAIR Professional Series HX650 650W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
Newegg.com - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Semi Modular High Performance Power Supply

Both modular. No point in "full" modular as you are going to be using at least 3 of those cables as it is. 24 pin, 8 pin, and at least 1 6 pin. If you are talking power wise combining the 5770s and 3770 that is roughly 643w max load. That is taxing both 5770s with Furmark and the 3770 with prime. 650w Gold Certified PSU can handle that as you wont cap that unless doing a maximum stress test. Again though, your call.

As for the case, I don't like CM cases so personal preference there.

Edit: I'm ****ing stupid. Didn't you get a 670 recently?
Peak power usage for your card (IIRC Asus DC2 right?) will be 182w for gaming. That's roughly 259w max with both GPU and CPU pulling full load.

Last edited:
Oh hey, I wondered where this went. Thanks for the title, Chris, rofl.

So for the i5 vs i7, I see what you mean. I hadn't really read any benchmarks recently comparing the two and you're right, performance is very similar especially for my needs. I think part of me had a bit of a hard time not getting an i7 branded chip for my Intel foray so to speak, haha.

The 840, newegg was missing some info on the write speeds when comparing, so I guess I missed that. Back to the comparing chart.

Since all of the cases support reg ATX, I'll do another look at mobos. I originally happened across that one based on the recommendation of a couple review sites, namely guru3d.com in their "buyer's guide for the winter" article thing. I had compared the features to a number of other mobos but didn't find much of a better deal. I would prefer to stick with ASUS myself, so I'll take another look without limiting myself to Micro ATX.

I have a 660 now, I included that in the calculations...also included a sustained overclock to overestimate (I'm definitely overclocking, just don't know how much...assuming 1ghz just for pessimism's sake). I just did a re-calc of my full system (I allow for capacitor aging) and it was lower than before when I had the i7, originally had it around 538w i think, now it's saying 497w. I guess 650 would be alright then, I figured for the extra 10 bucks between those OCZ's I'd be okay. My main point of contention with those two (while awesome PSUs) would be the cost, but it's similar at least. I'll look into it more.

Not a bad deal...after taxes here, would be around 180 bucks plus a 2-2.5 hour round trip though. I'll calculate mileage and all that jazz haha.

Make it a weekend with the old ball and chain, or at least a day 's outing.

Back
Top Bottom