New Rig Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foozle

Baseband Member
Hi,

I'd like to build a new computer and would like some advice. I would use the computer for mainly gaming (Wow, SC2, etc.), but might also use to convert old analog videos to digital and then some video editing.

My budget is flexible, so that isn't the main concern (maybe would start balking at around $2,500). But I don't like to overpay for the latest technology, so I'd like to build something that uses the best technology available that has hit somewhat of a plateau on pricing. For example, if there is a big jump in price for a cpu with only a few extra GHz, then I'd opt for the slightly less performance. Maybe the gradations in price are more gradual and it isn't that easy to do this, but I figured I'd at least pose the question.

I'd need all the components, including keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc. Regarding monitor, is there a maximum recommended size for desktop gaming? Again, I wouldn't want to pay $1000 extra for a larger monitor, but would like to get the largest useable for that purpose at what I'd call a "value" price.

Thanks!

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced RC-932-KKN5-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Compucase Case with USB 3.0 and Black Interior
Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600K
Newegg.com - ASUS P8P67 PRO (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Newegg.com - OCZ Vertex 3 VTX3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Newegg.com - ASUS ENGTX580 DCII/2DIS/1536MD5 GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Newegg.com - LITE-ON Black 4X BD-ROM 8X DVD-ROM 32X CD-ROM SATA Internal 4X Blu-ray Reader Model iHOS104-06 - Blu-Ray Drives
Newegg.com - CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8
Newegg.com - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Peripherals (these are my personal choice...you may not like them):
Newegg.com - RAZER Mamba Black 7 Buttons USB Laser Gaming Mouse - Dual Mode Wired/Wireless Functionality
Newegg.com - RAZER RZ03-00181400-R3U1 Black USB Wired Lycosa Mirror Special Edition Gaming Keyboard
Newegg.com - Bose® Companion® 2 Multimedia Speaker System
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG S27A550H Rose Black 27" 2ms Full HD HDMI LED BackLight LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 DCR 1,000,000:1 (1,000:1)
and it looks like that monitor doesn't come with an HDMI cable..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812816002

I didn't put this into the cart to add the prices because I've already got stuff saved in there.
This build has great graphics, good processing power. If you want to overclock, you'll have to add a third-party cooler which someone else can give you advice on (I think the corsair H70 water cooler is top notch based on what others have said). Good motherboard, plenty of RAM (could get another set if you need to, but 8gb should be enough). That is the best large monitor that I could find that still retained a low price and had good response time, color ratio, etc. Another option is to get two smaller monitors which will maximize your space better...probably two 23" or 24" monitors. The case is a very popular one. If you don't want a full tower, you could get the cooler master haf 922 which is similarly designed, but in a mid-tower version. I added one of the best SATAIII SSD which will cut the speeds significantly. The psu should give you plenty of upgrade room if you ever wanted to SLI another 580 (although I think one is more than enough). The speakers, keyboard, and mouse are ones that I like, but you can find things that suit your style more...if you don't like them. :)

Thanks for the quick response. A few questions.

If I wanted 2 TB instead of 1 TB for storage, would you recommend same type, just larger, as in:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136792?

On the monitor, is 27" generally as large as I'd want for gaming, or does the price point rise quickly beyond 27"?

On the CPU, I've read a lot of comments on Newegg that people were having trouble keeping the 2600k cool. Would I need to plan for a better heatsink and if so what would be sufficient?

On keyboard/mouse, I'm curious to hear what people like best (i.e. Logitech versus Razer). I can probably do a search for that topic on the forum, so no need to repeat here if already covered elsewhere.

On compatibility of all the components above, I'm assuming you wouldn't suggest a non-compatible configuration, but just wanted to see whether that was a safe assumption or whether I'd need to research compatibility on my own.

Thanks again!

I don't recommend getting any drive over 1tb. If it fails...that's a lot of data lost. If you wanted 2tb, I'd just get two 1tb drives...that case has plenty of room. It's your decision if you want to take that risk. I personally have never had a drive fail, but a friend of mine has and he wasn't able to recover anything from it...luckily he had most of it backed up.

For the monitors, generally yes.. :)

The stock cooler should be fine if you're not overclocking...especially in the HAF case since it has such good cooling. I do recommend overclocking the 2600k...some have got it to 5ghz...I recommend these two coolers:
Newegg.com - Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler
Newegg.com - CORSAIR Hydro H70 CWCH70 120mm High Performance CPU Cooler (water cooling)

These parts are all compatible (I just double checked). :)

Razer generally has faster response times and cooler designs...that's all I know :) I have only used the Mamba as a demo in store and it was just like any other mouse except it is quite bigger that I'm used to...but I like the wireless and wired feature of it.

Oh, I don't know if you'd need one of these or not: http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BR1500G&total_watts=800

Well, I took the plunge tonight on Newegg with basically the same config as noted above. Total was around $2800 (including the cooling unit and Windows 7 full version). I was waffling on whether to spend that much, but I think the few drinks I had were the deciding factor. I hope I can put everything together successfully and everything fits! Thanks again. I'll let you know how it turns out. Hopefully will ship in 2 days in time for the long weekend. :))

I was able to change the order before it shipped to get the writeable blue ray. I'm just noticing now also that unless there is an integrated network card hiding somewhere above, I'll likely need to get one of those also. Maybe I can just pickup from Best Buy since it is too late to tack on to the order. Any suggestions on network cards or are they fairly generic these days? Probably wired rather than wireless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom