new rig specs good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
and also would i be bale to overclock g skill ram to 1066mhz without cooling juts heatspreaders it comes with

No, Never pay more for something less in quality. The TT toughpower may be on the reccomended list but Silverstone is Better.

So stick with the Silverstone.

I high reccomend the corsair 620HX though.
And its more than enough for SLI.

baron5 said:
and also would i be bale to overclock g skill ram to 1066mhz without cooling juts heatspreaders it comes with

Heatspreaders don't do that much actually, if you have good case air flow, properly moniter the RAM voltages and timming Im sure you could reach that Speed. You could also stick a fan on the RAM for added cooling.

Do NOT get a Thermaltake PSU over a Silverstone...Silverstone are one of the top makers.

baron, the 680i is NOT the best overclocking C2D mobo. The Biostar 965PT which is 104 bucks has the record of 5ghz on an E6600 with one core disabled. The 680 is only rated as "so good" becuase it can fully support SLI. There are many better overclocking mobos out there for literally half the Price. SLI is NOT worth it as all it does is produce more heat, and take more watts. I never recommend it unless you go two of the best cards right away for bleeding edge it just gives off way too much heat and the amount of watts and amps it requires is too much for the performance. If you must go SLI then the 680i mobo is a good choice however do not think for a minute that it is the "best C2D mobo" becuase it's not. Especially right now with it's bugs a and being so expensive, as well as there are many other boards who overclock just as well.

Dominator ram is UNNEEDED. Pure OVERKILL. With an E6600 to even get a 4ghz overclock (which is usually very hard anyway) you need
DDR2-888 ram...you can get ram for half the price of dominator that will clock higher than that. G.Skill NQ's will do that for 164 bucks for 2GB.

EDIT: DDR2-1066 runs at 533mhz really. DDR2-800 would run at 400mhz. You need to achieve a 1 : 1 ratio on your FSB to MHZ.

So if your ram never went past DDR2-800 (400mhz) then that means the max your E6600 could overclock would get to 400x9=3.6ghz

However I have cheap G.Skill that overclock to DDR2-1130 without a problem. I suggest if your serious about overclocking go to a forum such as overclock.net or Hardforums or the overclockers club to understand more about how it works exactly, or I guess you could ask me.

While you dream of eventually 8800GTX in SLI...out will come some crazy card that will destroy your SLI running on like 500w's with less heat laughing....People think SLI is a cheaper choice becuase you can buy another card later on and equal performance of the new single card right? Wrong, you see what steps you have to take to get SLI. You have to pay 130 bucks more for a good SLI mobo that overclocks well, about 90 bucks more on a PSU than what you need. 50 bucks or so more on a case that can handle the heat of two cards running in the 80's of temps.

In the end you're still costing more per month from your electric bill as well as just heating up your case.

I don't recommend SLI EVER except for people who SLI two of the top cards for bleeding edge....it's almost never worth it otherwise.

RAM speed does not directly affect your CPU speed, as the mhz itself. if you have ram that can run at 600mhz and your only running your CPU at 350mhz, this forces your RAM to run at 350mhz as well. You can then lower the Cas to 4 something but in the end on Core 2 Duos the difference between Cas5 and 4 is hardly noticeable at all, and is double the price.

ok the only thing is the gskill ram isnt on their website under supported memory so wats th chance it work work plus its not sli ready

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom