New rig - help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

The4th1

Beta member
Hi, I've been looking into parts for my rig. I've done a bit of research into the parts and have come out with this list:

Processor: Intel i7 Extreme 920
Memory: 4GB RAM DDR3 1066MHz - Kingston (x6)
Disk Drive: Hitachi 3.5 Inch 2TB HDD (x4)
GPU: GTX 295 nVidia (x2)
Motherboard: ASUS P6T7 WS SuperComputer Motherboard
Case: Auzentech GMC R-4 Bulldozer Case
Soundcard: Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium 7.1
PSU: Antex TruePower Quattro 1200watt PSU
Monitor: Phillips 24” Monitor
Cooling System: Asuetek Water Cooling System
Optical Drive: N/A
Acessories: nVidia 3D Vision Kit
Alternate MotherBoard: ASRock X-58 Deluxe Motherboard
Alternate GPU: ATi Radeon 5870 (x2)

Now this comes round to about £3,000, give or take a few tens.
Obviously I'm not going to purchase two motherboards and two seperate brands of graphics cards. I need to dertemine which is better, I can't do this myself; having no knowledge of PC parts and being completely new. Currently I'm in favour of the 5870 but my experience with nVidia is that I pretty much get what I want out of the card(not of late, however), I feel the RAW POWER AND WIN from a 295GTX will do this, coupled with 3D Vision capability.

Which out of the two GPUs would have most efficient gameplay (i'm not interested in benchmarks since you can have too much power and little fuel. I am interested in a beautiful visual experience where I can immerse myself into the game and continue to do so for several years, without too much maintenance.)

Is the RAM specified good enough? I don't understand the difference between 1066MHz, 1333MHz and whatever, I really do want to get the most for my money.

Which Motherboard would be more ideal to use? I realise the ASRock is better suited for my current listed computer case.

First off, you wont need 24GB of RAM. A triple channel kit of 3x2GB will be fine unless you plan to host virtual machines etc.

For motherboard, get the EVGA E758 or EVGA Classified E760.

I need to dertemine which is better
I would recommend the two 5870s, they're more than enough to play anything that's currently out. They will technically have less raw power than the 295s, however they are more efficient and put out a lot less heat than 295s.

Is the RAM specified good enough? I don't understand the difference between 1066MHz, 1333MHz and whatever, I really do want to get the most for my money.
It's quite slow RAM. The higher the xxxxMHz, the faster the RAM is. Try going for at least 1600MHz.

Sound card is probably unnecessary, integrated nowadays is usually fine except for audiophiles (so if you are, get one).

Acessories: nVidia 3D Vision Kit
Really wouldn't recommend the 3D vision kit, not worth the money IMO, but it's really up to you. I would take the money you'd spend on that and get a 120GB solid state drive instead, that will speed up your build more than anything else you could add.

Memory: 4GB RAM DDR3 1066MHz - Kingston (x6)
Since you listed an LGA1366-socket i7 CPU, you'll need to get memory in multiples of 3, i.e. 6GB or 12GB. You'll never be able to use more than 12GB, so aim for 6GB or 12GB of DDR3-1600MHz.

I realise the ASRock is better suited for my current listed computer case.
That case will not affect the choice of either motherboard, AFAIK.

What are you going to be using this computer for? Do you plan on overclocking? What store or stores are you shopping at?

You have about $1200+ worth of ram listed if you buy 6 single sticks or close to $2000+ if you buy a couple matched sets. Why? A single 6GB (3x2GB) set of DDR3 1600 or 2000 will work best if you plan on overclocking for "High Performance". (2)- 6GB (3x2GB) sets will serve you best if you perfer to run everything at stock speeds.One or two of these kits will serve you best.
Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3P1600LV6GK - Desktop Memory
Newegg.com - OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6GK - Desktop Memory

I hate to admit it because I've been using Nvidia cards for so long. But the GTX 295's have been and still are a waste of money. And the 3D Vision is a even bigger waste. Get the ATI 5870's and then use the money you save from the ram and buy 3 Monitors that rotate to Portrait and run them in Eyefinity. Here's a link, watch the video :D
AMD's ATI Eyefinity Technology Review - AMD's ATI Eyefinity Technology Review | [H]ard|OCP

The SuperComputer mobo is another joke and AsRock model would be at the bottom of the list also. Look at the Asus P6T Deluxe
Newegg.com - ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
or the EVGA X58 E758-A1
Newegg.com - EVGA E758-A1 3-Way SLI (x16/x16/x8) LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
The EVGA Classified E760 is a really nice mobo but it's just not worth the money either, I have one.
Newegg.com - EVGA E760 CLASSIFIED "Overclocker's Pick" 3-Way SLI + PhysX 1366 Intel X58 EATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

And you probably won't need a 1200 watt power supply, says the man with 1250watts :D
This has more than you'll need.
Newegg.com - CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-950TX 950W ATX12V v2.2/EPS12V v2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

I would look at Western Digital Drives over Hitachi.

You should look at a Swiftech or DangerDen water-cooling setup. Thou you still won't run faster than my air setup :D

I'm using this computer for high-end gaming. Yes, I do plan on overclocking. I've basically searched online using Google shopping (for the most part) to find my products. The site's I found were:
Novatech
Overclockers (UK)
Amazon
ecworld
onestoppcshop
Redstore
Kikatech

What are you going to be using this computer for? Do you plan on overclocking? What store or stores are you shopping at?

You have about $1200+ worth of ram listed if you buy 6 single sticks or close to $2000+ if you buy a couple matched sets. Why? A single 6GB (3x2GB) set of DDR3 1600 or 2000 will work best if you plan on overclocking for "High Performance". (2)- 6GB (3x2GB) sets will serve you best if you perfer to run everything at stock speeds.One or two of these kits will serve you best.
Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3P1600LV6GK - Desktop Memory
Newegg.com - OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6GK - Desktop Memory

I do plan on OC'ing, how would a single kit of 6GB serve me better than two kits of 6GB if i do OC?

I hate to admit it because I've been using Nvidia cards for so long. But the GTX 295's have been and still are a waste of money. And the 3D Vision is a even bigger waste. Get the ATI 5870's and then use the money you save from the ram and buy 3 Monitors that rotate to Portrait and run them in Eyefinity. Here's a link, watch the video :D
AMD's ATI Eyefinity Technology Review - AMD's ATI Eyefinity Technology Review | [H]ard|OCP

The SuperComputer mobo is another joke and AsRock model would be at the bottom of the list also. Look at the Asus P6T Deluxe
Newegg.com - ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
or the EVGA X58 E758-A1
Newegg.com - EVGA E758-A1 3-Way SLI (x16/x16/x8) LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
The EVGA Classified E760 is a really nice mobo but it's just not worth the money either, I have one.
Newegg.com - EVGA E760 CLASSIFIED "Overclocker's Pick" 3-Way SLI + PhysX 1366 Intel X58 EATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

And you probably won't need a 1200 watt power supply, says the man with 1250watts :D
This has more than you'll need.
Newegg.com - CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-950TX 950W ATX12V v2.2/EPS12V v2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

I would look at Western Digital Drives over Hitachi.

You should look at a Swiftech or DangerDen water-cooling setup. Thou you still won't run faster than my air setup :D

Alright, thank you. I checked on DangerDen and it seems that I can buy a custom kit, would you recommend buying this or should I get a standard one?

The4th1 said:
I do plan on OC'ing, how would a single kit of 6GB serve me better than two kits of 6GB if i do OC?
The memory controller is built into the CPU and populating all the slots adds more strain to the system. Because of this most 12GB systems don't overclock as well or they have to underclock the memory to ease the strain. And right now your not going to see any improvements by having 12GB or 24GB. You can always add another 6GB later if and or when the need for 12GB arises.

The4th1 said:
Alright, thank you. I checked on DangerDen and it seems that I can buy a custom kit, would you recommend buying this or should I get a standard one?

Can you give us a link to the kits in question?

Edit: Checkout this thread, it will give you some shopping online options :D
http://www.techist.com/forums/f75/hardware-shopping-megathread-212899/

The memory controller is built into the CPU and populating all the slots adds more strain to the system. Because of this most 12GB systems don't overclock as well or they have to underclock the memory to ease the strain. And right now your not going to see any improvements by having 12GB or 24GB. You can always add another 6GB later if and or when the need for 12GB arises.

Can you give us a link to the kits in question?

Edit: Checkout this thread, it will give you some shopping online options :D
http://www.techist.com/forums/f75/hardware-shopping-megathread-212899/

Ah right. Thanks,

Water Cooling Kits - Danger Den Here is the link and thanks! I notice Overclockers UK and Novatech are already on there too, when I have time I'll check out their products and compare :p

Looks nice but I prefer my stuff to be at super low temps so they last longer or at least, that's what i think happens when they are cold. Due to editting of my list I do have a lot of money that I could spend, but I'm not looking to chuck money in any direction :p it can be used to go towards the home cinema system I'm planning on buying. :D

However I have had a look at the site (for the fans) and they seem to have ample supply of blue LED high-quality fans so it's all good :)

Here is what I've done to the list:
Processor:Intel i7 Extreme 920
Memory:OCZ 6GB kit – 3x2GB – DDR3 1600MHz
Disk Space: Intel X25-M SSD
GPU: ATi Radeon 5870 (x2)
Motherboard: EVGA Classified E760
Case: Auzentech GMC R-4 Bulldozer Case
PSU: Corsair TX Series PSU 950w
Monitor: Philips 24” LCD Monitor 240SW9FS
Additional Components: Western Digital Drive External HDD 1TB

Would it be OK to use an nVidia 8600GTS for PhysX processing (it's nearly two years old) or should I purchase a newer version (or not bother at all)

I plan to have the Ext. portioned into: Files, Games, Documents, Crap(crap being any other program) which I should have enough space for

You could still go with 3 X 4GB sticks of ram if you have money that you don't want around. And definitely the 5870s over the GTX 295s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom