New RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakebrick

Baseband Member
Right now I have a laptop computer, and it's not very old but it is by no means any good. It is a gateway and it has a tl-50 for a CPU and geforce 6100 for graphics (integrated obviously :( ...) I only have 512MB of RAM and 128 of that is shared for graphics. I get about 20~ or maybe a little less in CS:Source on all medium settings at 1280x800

I was wondering whether or not the best temporary option for me is to get more RAM. I don't know if it is my graphics card that is maxxed out or if my RAM is holding me back. Obviously, I am not expecting this computer to ever game great, but even if I could get 10 or more frames/sec that would be amazing until september since RAM is unbelievably cheap right now. So my question is, should I get more RAM or would that do nothing to the performance of the game?

Remember: I only have 512 MB and 128 of it is shared. Also, cpu-z shows that the ram is only running at 266Mhz. So if I do get another gig of say, 667, should I take out the old stick? since the new stick will be slowed down to 266 if I don't.

Thanks for the help in advance.

It is ddr2, it is not very old, around 4 months-ish. It is 200 pin, regular laptop stuff.

I forgot that cpu-z only shows the effective rate, so in reality the RAM I have now is considered 533Mhz. So if I do get new RAM, I will probably get 533 instead if it's cheaper. I still need help with my original question though.

No if you add another stick of DDR2-677 then it the 512 will just down clock it to 533 however since your laptop probably only runs at DDR2-400 it won't matter.

What I'm saying is just throw in another 1GB stick of any 200 pin DDR2 ram and it will work just fine. Considering that your integrated is using 128 memory leaving you less than 400 ram a gig at 1280x968 should help a good bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom