New PSU and GPU recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skorpian

In Runtime
What's up people?
I need a new GPU and a PSU. My current GPU is Ati Radeon x1550, which is too bad for gaming, And my power supply is too noisy and I can't find anyone to locally do a fan replace for me ( Well, I wouldn't want to take the risk of doing it myself, not only I could destroy the PSU, but also kill myself by electric shocking )
So I've had my eyes on a GPU for 150$, and I found GTS 250. Looks good and my friend has one and he says it's awesome, but problem is, my motherboard ( 945PL-S3P Gigabyte ) has a PCI-E 1.0 x16 port, not a PCI-E 2.0 x16 and that GPU is 2.0. Will I see any down performance than a mobo with 2.0 port?
Last, can anyone recommend me a brand and number of wattage which will power up this system well:
CPU :E8400 3.00 GHz, oc'd from 2.40 GHz to 3.00 GHz as my motherboard doesn't support that power unless I oc it.
GPU :Gts 250
Hdd : 1 x 250 GB Sata hdd, 1 x 160 GB IDE hdd
Fans : 1x Case fan, 1x CPU fan, ?x GPU fans ( Still don't know if that GPU has 1 or 2 fans )
Motherboard : Gigabyte 945PL-S3P Bios version F6a
Ram : 2x2 GB DDR2 ram ( I think they're clocked at 333.5 MHz, not sure ).
If you need pictures of anything via a certain software, please tell me.

You won't see any downgrade, loss performance or anything with a PCI-e 1.0 slot.

Your sydstem will easily run on a 500ish Watt psu.
As for a psu, I always say, for this level of psu, start at a 85-90 dollar range before rebates. Look for at least a bronze rating, means 80% for 20-85% loaded. Better color better rating, but more costly.
Look for brands like Corsair, SeaSonic, Silverstone, OCZ, Antec. These are the good reliable brands.

However, though I said 500, I'd look more at 6-650 as psus can last a few upgrades, so might as well get a bit larger size now so it can last longer... Interms of upgrades. If you ever think of sli/xfire, though your board doesn't support it, I'd go to a 700 due to the 4 pci-e plugs usually needed now, weith newer cards.

85-90 dollars? That's more than I expected... I thought I could get a 500W PSU for like 50$, or at least I saw that on newegg.
Maybe I'd look for a high power PSU as you said so that I can get future upgrades too.
But how long do you think will my system still go good gaming? I have only 17'' monitor so max res is 1280*1024, I wanna play games at that res. and with all graphics settings max if possible. Will my build do that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom