New Processor for High End Machine/Home Theatre System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Him

Fully Optimized
Long story short, I fried my Skt. 478 CPU and need a new one. I dont have the money to go out and buy a new board and a new GFX card, so please spare me, and stay with me. I need a P4 Skt. 478 of high end results. I've been out of the computer loop for some time so am not up to date on the new cores that Intel has been releasing (Dothan, Yonah, and the Conroe). I'm willing to spend some money, but not alot, so no extreme edition chips for me. I plan on OC'ing it a wee bit, but not too much. Suggestions?

Pepsiboy700 said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116171 is a good cpu. I think the E after the name might mean you could change the multiplyer. Someone once told me I think some leters after the name means unlockable multiplyer. Either way decent cpu.

Yeah, the multiplier is not unlocked. That's the EE, or Extreme Edition. The E in this model indicates it is Revision E of the Pentium 4 3.0Ghz. This one with 1MB of L2 Cache and a Prescott Core.

turtile said:
You need a 945+ chipset for that.

i believe you also need a socket 479 motherboard for core duos so thats probably out of the question.

wasd said:
i believe you also need a socket 479 motherboard for core duos so thats probably out of the question.

Thats a Skt. 478. But somebody mentioned the price cuts, so I'm totally going to wait for those to take affect, I'm all about the cheapness here. I will heed to that and buy then. But I still have to decide on which chip to buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom