New PC specs - any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmy44

Beta member
Hi everyone,

I've put together a PC build and was hoping someone might be able to have a look over the specs.

I really need to know firstly if there are any incompatability issues with the build e.g I have chosen an IDE DVD ROM. Is this compatable with the motherboard I have chosen? Also I have a SATA II hard drive, is this compatable and is SATA II necessary?

Also wanted your advice on the build. Any glaring problems, suggestions of better components (without breaking the bank!)

The current build comes to £800, don't want to spend too much more.

Thanks very much for your help!! :)

Motherboard
Asus Rampage Formula Intel X48 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard

Graphics Card
Powercolor ATI Radeon HD 4870 PCS Extreme 512MB GDDR5 TV-Out/Dual DVI/HDMI (PCI-Express)

Processor
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 LGA775 'Wolfdale' 3.16GHz (1333FSB)

Memory
Corsair 4GB DDR2 XMS2 Dominator PC2-8500C5 TwinX (2x2GB) Supplied with Airflow Fan

PSU
Corsair TX 650W ATX2.2 SLi Compliant PSU

Case
Antec 300 Three Hundred Ultimate Gaming Case - Black (No PSU)

Hard drive
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB SATA-II 32MB Cache - OEM

Cooling unit
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro CPU Cooler (Socket LGA775)

DVD-rewriter
Samsung SH-S222A/BEBE 22x DVD±RW IDE Dual Layer Rewriter (Black) - OEM

personally I would go with Samsung at the moment, as Seagate has this huge problem with the malfunctioning Firmware...

get a sata cd/dvd drive, ide is old news.

sata is just easier to work with, and only a couple of bucks more if anything.

everything else looks great to me.

hey jimmy I'd just suggest to you that when you have finalised your build see if the components are cheaper from either computer hardware, components, systems and peripherals at the lowest prices from IT supplier Aria Technology or Cheap Laptops, Hard Drives, LCD Monitors, TVs and more at Ebuyer

I personally got my components from aria as i found them cheaper then overclockers, by over £20 for my GPU at the time.

Here is a very similar build to mine, i went with a Q6600 in the end but you'll probably get told to buy a E8500 so here's a build:

Case- Antec Three Hundred Cool and Quiet Gaming Case - Aria Technology

CD/DVD drive- LG GH20NS10 20x DVDRW SATA black bare inc SecurDisc - Aria Technology (i used a pioneer but it's not stocked atm, spec wise it seems identical)

CPU- Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16GHz (Retail 775) - Aria Technology

CPU cooler- OCZ Vendetta 2 CPU Fan (Socket 754, 939, 940, AM2, LGA775) - Aria Technology

GPU- Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB PCI-E 2.0 - Aria Technology

harddrive- 750GB Samsung SATA2 - 7200 - 32MB - Aria Technology

RAM(so many to choose from but i picked the ones i got)- Corsair 4GB PC2-6400 XMS2 (2x2GB) - Aria Technology

mobo- Asus P5Q PRO iP45 Socket 775 Motherboard - Aria Technology

power supply- Corsair 520W HX V2 Series Modular PSU - Aria Technology

Now all of this costs £741, not sure if you wanted an OS or sound card etc I just went by the links you included

I'm sure others will give you different opinions and brands and components but the above is an idea of what you could get, include Vista OEM and it's around the £800 mark

The rampage is a good board, but it is expensive. You could get away with the Biostar I45, Asus P5 or the gigabyte P45 for cheaper and still get good performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom