New PC Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giuseppe

Solid State Member
Hey guys

I used to have 1 gig of RAM and scored a 10,000 on 3DMARK06 with a P5B Deluxe, 1 gig corsair 4-4-4-12, 8800GTX, etc. Once I finally put in the dual channel corsair my score went down to 9000. Why is that? And second how can I be sure that my Motherboard is setup properly for my video card? What settings do I have to look under?

Thanks

Could it possibly be that you were overclocking something and changing the ram wiped your overclock? Are you saying you just added another gig of the same Corsair stuff?

Yeah, all I did was add the second stick of ram since I had to replace it due to a malfunction. Once I put in both sticks I have a lower score. I didn't overclock anything before, so I have no idea what the heck happened.

DDR, or DDR2?
for DDR 2gb tends to be slower, but probably shouldn't make that much of a difference. I'd say check all your overclocks.

Did you check the settings to make sure the motherboard did not lower the speed of the ram after you installed the new stick?

Hmmm, I am trying to figure that out. I used CPU-Z and it says that it is at 5-5-5-18, when it should be at 4-4-4-12. The thing is I don't see how to change the settings in bios? And how to I make sure that in bios the motherboard knows that the 8800GTX has 768mb of ram?

My guess is there was another change that occurred, that you forgot about....I doubt the memory caused it....why don't you just pop out the added 1GB and run the test again?...that will confirm its memory related....but like I said, I believe 3dmark is mostly graphics card and cpu related...

although if the sticks you added were defective that would cause an issue...

you could run memtest.

Giuseppe said:
Hmmm, I am trying to figure that out. I used CPU-Z and it says that it is at 5-5-5-18, when it should be at 4-4-4-12. The thing is I don't see how to change the settings in bios? And how to I make sure that in bios the motherboard knows that the 8800GTX has 768mb of ram?

You will have to set the timing manually, the mboard/bios doesnt recognize what the memory should be...SET the timing's manually as they are listed..444 12 ...

Hey thanks for the info. I changed the timing manually and my score went up to 9900, just 100 off my original score. Next I will overclock my CPU and see what I can get. Do you guys think that getting Vista and Direct X 10 will be very beneficial graphically?

Giuseppe said:
Hey thanks for the info. I changed the timing manually and my score went up to 9900, just 100 off my original score. Next I will overclock my CPU and see what I can get. Do you guys think that getting Vista and Direct X 10 will be very beneficial graphically?

Uh yep, but id wait a while...

Directx 10 will be amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom