New PC, need help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adzh

In Runtime
I written a big long list about my needs etc but the page crashed and i lost it all.

Anyway, basically i need a new setup, my current one only runs WOW at 10-20 fps since my graphics card burnt out about a year ago, it was an ati radeon9800 pro 256 mb.

I don't know much about hardware these days so i hope you can help me. I'm trying to keep my budget as low as possible as i dont have THAT much.

The reason im doing my PC up is because the WOW expansion pack comes out soon and i'm going to play it, enjoyable not with 10fps.

Heres what i need, Graphics Card, Case, Motherboard, Processor.

** Graphics card, 100-150£ (190-280$). I was thinking of this 256MB XFX 7900GT Extreme, PCI-E (x16), Mem 1500 MHz, GPU 520 MHz, 24 Pipes, Dual DVI-I/HDTV VIVO If anyone thinks there is better for money or recomment something else, please let me know.

** CASE - 30-60£ (60-110$) I have no clue what case to buy, one with decent cooling, my current pc overheats so i have to open the case and have a room fan blowing into it. Something to keep it cool.

** Motherboard - £?? I have NO clue whatsoever about mobos, something that won't bottleneck(?) my graphics / processor etc. Need it to accept my graphics card too.

** Processor - £150~ ? - I don't know much about these either, but i was thinking Intel Core 2 Duo E6400, Socket 775, 2.13 GHz, 1066MHz FSB, Allendale Core, 2MB Cache, Retail Yet again i have no idea about them, but please recommend one for around the same price as the gcard or this.

Sorry to be a pain, any recommendations / comments are welcome, my soundcard is fine atm.

If its anything to anyone i use a 19'' widescreen television as my monitor, as it can be both, i don't recon i need any different as it works fine.

I'm basically after a rig that'll run WOW-the burning crusade nicely, nice fps, with nice graphics settings. Would my budget?

Thanks in advance.

I may also need a new harddrive, i only have an 80gb one, opinions?

For a motherboard I've heard this is a good motherboard at a reasonable price.
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=437659

This is a good video card, just a little more than the one you picked out. It'll run WoW and any other games great.
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=470190

As far as cases go I would recommend this one for a cheap case.
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=156451
Or you could just pick one out that you like the looks of and post it, you'll get opinions on whether or not its a good case or not :)

Do you already have RAM? You'll need to make sure its DDR2 RAM if you do. Also what do you have for a power supply? that may need an upgrade.

As far as the hard drive goes 80Gb would be okay if all you are going to do is play WoW. If your going to play other games, or deal with movies or pictures at all you'll want a bigger one. I'd recommend 250Gb or bigger.

If you're planning on playing wow, you can just get a nice 7900gs. It'll save you some money plus still be able to run wow like a champ. WoW is really not that graphics intensive, and i rather doubt that BC will be much different. I ran wow to test the fps, and im getting 60-150 fps on full settings @ 1280 x 1024 with the machine in my sig. I could probably push the same at a higher res but alas i cant afford a nicer monitor atm. You'd also probably want to chip in for 2gb of dual chan memory. :D

I currently have 1GB of RAM, and, if i remember correctly it is DDR2.

It came in 2x 512 sticks if i also remember correctly, so no more will fit into this old peice of ****, but yes, i shall upgrade, maybe 1 more gig sometime soon.

That graphics card is nice you recommended, or so it seems, but its another +£50, whether ill be able to afford it is another matter. But then again would that card be a big difference gameplay wise than the one i posted, or little difference?

And about the mobo, is there any other mobos that are slightly cheaper but just as good? or is that pushing it a bit?

I don't know what PSU mine is atm, i shall find out, is it possible to find out via a program like Everest or? I can't see from the inside of the computer. Some cases come with PSU, what voltage would i need?

As for the case, it seems ok, would that provide decent cooling yeah?

Thanks again.

PS my main game will be WOW, but ill also maybe play other games. Im mainly after a decent FPS in WOW with med/high graphics, having 40 players onscreen all casting different animations etc takes quite a bit, you see =p

A new edit, if i posted a budget of

£400 (roughly, maybe 450£)

What graphics / mobo / processor / case and IF you can throw it in, 1gb of ram would you suggest?

Or have we/i basically hit the nail on the head in the above posts?

(If making a list please use either www.scan.co.uk / www.ebuyer.co.uk as im ordering from UK).

Sorry im just brainstorming here :].

Alright, update, my dad said if i get a job then he will buy me a Graphics card, Motherboard and processor. All upto a 400£ or so budget.

That gives me room to buy my own RAM and CASE. this is what i have so far...

------

512MB EVGA 7950GT, PCI-E (x16), Mem 1450MHz, GPU 560MHz, 24 Pipes,
@205.50£ inc VAT.

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400, Socket 775, 2.13 GHz,
@146£ inc VAT.

Gigabyte GA 965P-DS3 iP965, S775, PCI-E (x16)
@75£ inc VAT.

TOTAL £440.65 (Including VAT, but my dad owns a business so can claim money back on VAT, which is £65.63. So real total =

£440.65

Could someone recommend me some of the best RAM, 2GB's of it, but not too pricey? I'll buy that myself 8)

Also - opinions on - Coolermaster Black Centurion 534 ?

I still don't know what Watt PSU to buy , either =p.

G-Skilz or Crucial ram.

Very best of them all is Crucial Ballistic (£240-300)

Corsair XMS2 or Dominator is also good ram depsite people that say you pay for the name.

Thanks, i'll check Gskill out.

I don't fancy paying 250-300£ on RAM.

I'm looking at about 100-150 for 2GB.

What Wattage PSU would you say i need for this rig?

I'm not sure what my current one is, but ill buy a new one, am i looking at 400+? 500+ ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom