New PC Help *warning* lots of data/text

As fatman* said in the video, it has nothing to do with actual support. The OS is pretty transparent to "support" of processors all around. You could run that **** on Windows 98 if you wanted to granted you'd have 0 support for the platform as a whole (like PCI-E for one). That aside, the only thing is you don't get to download updates for Windows.

On a side note, I have a 7700k now. If anybody is interested in running 7 on Kaby let me know. I will install 7 and game with it to put the discussion at ease.

*I really don't like that guy. I have nothing against large people (Trotter knows I love him and he's a big dude).

Sorry about the lapse in responding, tried to OC my CPU/RAM to help keep up but had no luck and angry at system. (plus lack of knowledge)

Anyway - the whole "dropping windows 7, 8.1 support" thing - I couldn't give a F less. I have literally been on Windows 10 since they opened up the "early access preview testing" in the pre-builds. I have Never thought about going back. Sure, there were some upsetting things, some security concerns and the like, but after tweaking it (just like windows 7 tweaking) it does all I want, and only a tiny bit extra. (which doesn't bother me like some conspiracy theorists are trying to make it come out) Win10, FTW. All the way.

your upset they are cutting a Outdated piece of software? You really don't know how the world works man. The reason they cut this is due to the "cost over benefits", quite frankly the "benefits" of using an older version of windows are falling further and further behind - and they would still take the same amount of Techies to support it for the run (thus, increasing costs to keep it going) - dropping outdated things is how this works best.

Once dropped you have to really seriously , SERIOUSLY, consider moving forward. If you don't - your actually at risk for new-age problems. Not just hardware mind you, but Hackers and Elitists that are working with Win7, 8.1, etc, to exploit them to hell - since Windows won't be making any security patches, - your literally opening your backdoor to every baddie that has knowledge of how to find it.

So moving forward is the "better" option for the majority of people. Especially those that want a more "hassle free" interface. I don't want to learn an entire new OS just to run my games and software. I can adapt to "later versions of windows" because, guess what? Microsoft keeps the "overall learning" to a minimum. Sure there are a TON of differences in Windows 7 and Windows 10, but the Interface is nearly the same, sure, some tweaking can even make it exactly the same, but out of the box - it's not "too hard" to adapt to.

Windows 10 is supported, updated, and security teams are working on/with it. Windows 7 - has none of that. It leaves it up to YOU to ensure your not leaving your backdoor wide open. So if you get hacked, bricked, or any other mess - it's your fault, one way or the other.

Back to my original needs (which didn't need to include the whole "omg Win 10 is needed, but windows 7 is so much better, I hate microsoft!" speech - I love my win10. I don't plan to leave it until Win11/12 (probably 13, cuz that's how windows rolls, everyone loved ME right?) comes out and I test it or see it and really go "man, this fits me great!" Which is EXACTLY the feeling I got from Windows 10 (then it went away a bit with cortana BS and some other ****, but now tweaks bring it back to happiness)

Ryzen 7, 1700 (non X) has caught my attention ,and I am not a serious techie or anything. I have watched, HOURS of footage comparing the Ryzen 7's with Intels X chips - and yes, overall the GAMING experience of the Intel's is GENERALLY higher. This has a lot of theories behind it , and in many cases, can be reversed by using a 2K monitor instead of a 1080p (because for whatever F-in reason, they do better at 1440p and worse at 1080p)

Now some state this is a memory (RAM) speed problem, so Overclocking (or simply buying 3.2Ghz RAM) can reduce, or completely eliminate this "gap" in performance. cool. The problem being the PRICE of that RAM is quite damn high. So most figure it's better to use that $$ into a better GPU, or even just MORE RAM, etc. Which... I won't open that barrel.

The point was that the RAM speed was the problem targeted... and honestly... it's taken all these videos to feel "you know, I am ok with that" I don't really care if my Ryzen 7 is 20FPS slower in a game - especially when those FPS are already over 100. Even in games where 60FPS may be the cap, I don't ""have"" to play on Ultra, I've played on Med-Low and Lowest for over 5 years now. So I COULD reach that same buttery smooth FPS - just not at the same "quality" - which really doesn't bug me. (especially as it might be resolved in the next few months or a year with faster RAM, or updates, or whatever technologies)

The real factor here, is the simple fact it OUTPERFORMS at other multi core tasks. It was quoted as "nearly on PAR" with a Intel CPU that is TWICE it's price in this category - sure that Intel could do EVERYTHING better- but it's like a $1,000 chip. It BETTER do more.

Comparing parts, making lists, doing generic or "lower priced" parts and all that noise gave me a huge brain pain, but I found a way to make a Ryzen 7, with 16GB DDR4 (OC, possible) with new SSD , and a Sapphire Nitro+ RX 480 8GB for something like $940, after shipping, before rebates.

is it the best? Probably not. Can I tweak more someplace? Probably. Swapping parts, getting more "brand name" or "OC Friendly" versions will be the next step - as I want this thing to be a GoddamnBeastFromHell at least the first year of gaming on it, but as I still don't even have $500 saved up yet -I got time.

You literally could have ignored the Windows 10 JoeC stuff and kept that whole post down to two sentences that I would quote with my responses.

The point was that the RAM speed was the problem targeted... and honestly... it's taken all these videos to feel "you know, I am ok with that" I don't really care if my Ryzen 7 is 20FPS slower in a game - especially when those FPS are already over 100. Even in games where 60FPS may be the cap, I don't ""have"" to play on Ultra, I've played on Med-Low and Lowest for over 5 years now. So I COULD reach that same buttery smooth FPS - just not at the same "quality" - which really doesn't bug me. (especially as it might be resolved in the next few months or a year with faster RAM, or updates, or whatever technologies)
Really not in the mood to repeat myself, I've explained why they don't perform well at 1080p before and why RAM speed affects it.

Comparing parts, making lists, doing generic or "lower priced" parts and all that noise gave me a huge brain pain, but I found a way to make a Ryzen 7, with 16GB DDR4 (OC, possible) with new SSD , and a Sapphire Nitro+ RX 480 8GB for something like $940, after shipping, before rebates.
If you want to stream don't get an AMD card. I'm not rereading the thread but I seem to remember you mentioning streaming.

is it the best? Probably not. Can I tweak more someplace? Probably. Swapping parts, getting more "brand name" or "OC Friendly" versions will be the next step - as I want this thing to be a GoddamnBeastFromHell at least the first year of gaming on it, but as I still don't even have $500 saved up yet -I got time
It won't be because these chips can't actually OC that well and they run hot. Trying to run an 1800x at 4.1Ghz will grant you 81c temps on a custom loop. I'm hoping to see some R5 1600 setups soon to see if they are the same. I'm building a friend a rig based off the 1600 and I will be doing some tests with it and he too will be playing at 1080p. The difference being is he will be upgrading his GPU from a 970 to a 1070 or 1080 within 6 months so he's ok with the 1080p performance for a bit.

I also don't know why you're having so many issues with your current platform. Maybe it's because of the GPU but last year when I had an i7 960 I had no issues bringing up games like The Witcher 3 with ease using my Titans. Even a 940BE faired decently. My gf actually has a 2500k in her rig right now and I have a feeling I could toss ME:A on it and it'd be fine.

At this point you have the info you need regardless of if you read it or not. I feel like you'll buy whatever you want no matter what I or any of us say so not really any point in continuing considering you don't even have the full amount yet. I suggest if you have your 500 bucks already grab a new GPU and see if that alleviates some issues while you save some more. Just my 2c.

You literally could have ignored the Windows 10 JoeC stuff and kept that whole post down to two sentences that I would quote with my responses.

Really not in the mood to repeat myself, I've explained why they don't perform well at 1080p before and why RAM speed affects it.

If you want to stream don't get an AMD card. I'm not rereading the thread but I seem to remember you mentioning streaming.

It won't be because these chips can't actually OC that well and they run hot. Trying to run an 1800x at 4.1Ghz will grant you 81c temps on a custom loop. I'm hoping to see some R5 1600 setups soon to see if they are the same. I'm building a friend a rig based off the 1600 and I will be doing some tests with it and he too will be playing at 1080p. The difference being is he will be upgrading his GPU from a 970 to a 1070 or 1080 within 6 months so he's ok with the 1080p performance for a bit.

I also don't know why you're having so many issues with your current platform. Maybe it's because of the GPU but last year when I had an i7 960 I had no issues bringing up games like The Witcher 3 with ease using my Titans. Even a 940BE faired decently. My gf actually has a 2500k in her rig right now and I have a feeling I could toss ME:A on it and it'd be fine.

At this point you have the info you need regardless of if you read it or not. I feel like you'll buy whatever you want no matter what I or any of us say so not really any point in continuing considering you don't even have the full amount yet. I suggest if you have your 500 bucks already grab a new GPU and see if that alleviates some issues while you save some more. Just my 2c.
My 1700 at 3.9 ran fairly cool on even the stock cooler.

Why would you not suggest streaming on a ryzen? I just watched a video by bitwit showing streaming results and the 1700 at 3.9 kept up with a 7700k at 4.9 even beating it streaming bf1 and beating it on gta5 and bf1 on .1 and 1% lows.

Showed that ryzen provided a smoother streaming experience at a cheaper price considering the cpus are practically the same price but you get a decent cooler eith ryzen and you can oc with a $100 mobo instead of having to pay extra to oc the i7 for a 270 board.

My 1700 at 3.9 ran fairly cool on even the stock cooler.

Why would you not suggest streaming on a ryzen? I just watched a video by bitwit showing streaming results and the 1700 at 3.9 kept up with a 7700k at 4.9 even beating it streaming bf1 and beating it on gta5 and bf1 on .1 and 1% lows.

Showed that ryzen provided a smoother streaming experience at a cheaper price considering the cpus are practically the same price but you get a decent cooler eith ryzen and you can oc with a $100 mobo instead of having to pay extra to oc the i7 for a 270 board.
Sorry cant edit in the app. I misread the part where you said AMD card referring to the 480. My bad.

Sorry cant edit in the app. I misread the part where you said AMD card referring to the 480. My bad.
;)

If you're streaming I wouldn't do it on the CPU period. That's why I said in the beginning of the thread it's a moot point.

To your cooling, that's because your chip doesn't have a temp offset.

;)

If you're streaming I wouldn't do it on the CPU period. That's why I said in the beginning of the thread it's a moot point.

To your cooling, that's because your chip doesn't have a temp offset.
Doesnt the temp.offset mean that its not actually running that hot?

So at 81 with the temp offset its actually around 61?

Or am i remembering that wrong.

But to OP if you want a gaming best a year from now if i was in your shoes id either bite the bullet now and get a 1070 or you could buy a $200 4gb 480 that will do fine in 1080p gaming for the next year and then upgrade next year after vega and nvidias new cards are out.

I went with the 480 because i havent saved up for 1440p monitors yet. So im running 2 27" monitors now and the 480 does perfect really...byt next year after ill have 1440p monitors ill probably pick up vega.

Freesync monitors are pretty cheap and $200 for gaming a good year and some change is worth it imo plus its always nice to have a pretty good video card on backup.

Now vega could be a flop though but nvidia will have new cards next year too.

Yes, 61, but that's pretty warm for a very mild OC. Most of this is because of how Ryzen deals with voltage. In retrospect I can put my old 2500k at 4.3 on a stock cooler typically with stock volts or a smidge higher (with no vdroop) and have the same temps. And we all know Intel stock coolers are bottom of the barrell ****.

The OP has stated before that they don't have a job and relying on donations as they're that type. That's why they wanted something good now and to last for a few years. IMO I think getting a 480 now is a bad idea, for anybody really.

Back
Top Bottom