New Pc Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbowman101

Baseband Member
Hey, i'm just about to buy a new computer for christmas and i was looking for some help on creating the new system, like suggestions on changes and advice. I'm some what computer literate on a broad sense but, dont know much about small details.

Anyway i'm looking to spend around 3500AUD (2500USD) max, but i spose could squeeze and extra 100USD if i really needed to. My intentions for this computer is mainly gaming and also some video editing.

So far i've come up with this:

-Antec P180 Case
-Antec Phantom 500Watt ATX Power Supply (OCZ 520Watt Powerstream currently sold out in Australia, but if you think its worth geting i can ship for OS)
-Zalman CNPS7700-CU CPU Copper Cooler Ball bearing
-DFI LanParty UT NF4 SLI-DR eXpert S939 nf4 Dual PCI-Express x16 SLI Dual GbLAN SATA II Raid
-AMD Athlon64 X2 4400+ Dual Core Processor Socket 939-Retail 2.2Ghz Toledo Core
-OCZ DDR2 Platinum EB PC5400 1GB DC Kit 512MBx2 PC-5400 Dual Channel EB Kit
-Seagate Barracuda 120GB 7200.7 SATA 150MBYTE/SEC 8mb Cache with NCQ x 2
-XFX NVIDIA GeForce 7800GTX 256Mb PCI-Express Graphics Card
-ViewSonic VP930B 8ms Black 19" LCD MONITOR 1000:1 Contrast Analog / DVI

This system came to 3900AUD (2,900USD) which is about 300/400AUD (300USD) over my limit. I was thinking i'l downgrade the gfx card to a 6800, or the monitor or the mobo.

Anyway please offer you expertise.......

Looks nice, but DDR2 doesnt work with AMD. You need to get just plain DDR. If you can afford it, just downgrade to an evga 7800GT. Only $320 US.

Yea everything looks good, definitely don't get XFX for video cards though, they're horrible. Go with eVGA and downgrade to a 7800GT because in benchmarks, the GTX only gets about 5-10 fps more than the GT, which IMO isn't worth the large price gap between the two cards. Might want to switch out the ram too.

Looks great. But you should probably get 2 x 1gb of ram for 2gbs total. Some newer games will require alot of ram. yeah and ddr2 wont work, you need ddr 184 pin ram.

Woops forgot to mention that OCZ is THE BEST when it comes to power supplies. I'd definitely wait for it to come back in stock because you will not regret it. I have an OCZ Modstream 520W and it performs flawlessly. Do yourself a favor and get the OCZ PSU :D

Riceball said:
Woops forgot to mention that OCZ is THE BEST when it comes to power supplies. I'd definitely wait for it to come back in stock because you will not regret it. I have an OCZ Modstream 520W and it performs flawlessly. Do yourself a favor and get the OCZ PSU :D

Hows the layout\wiring? I hear they are much "neater" than Antecs. This would be important to me when buying my next PSU.

Riceball said:
The wiring in my OCZ is incredible. All the wires are covered in this sort of white coating, which eliminates all of the messy wires.
Looks like silver techflex covered in plastic. I'm getting the 450W ModStream for the build I'm doing for my aunt and uncle. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom