[New PC] Can i run World of Warcraft on Ultra?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rarrarr

Solid State Member
Hi,

Soon i'm getting a new PC, i asked for information on some forums and everyone seems to give me different answers as to

what i would benefit most from. Thats why im really confused. I steady learning more things about PC's but im still a

newcomer. This is my build:

Video Card
SAPPHIRE HD6670 (11192-12-20G)
AMD Radeon HD6670, 1024 MB, 128 Bit, PCIe x16 v2.0, PCIe x16 v2.1

CPU
CPUs Socket AM3
AMD Phenom II X4 960T
4x 3000 MHz, 4x 512 kB, 6144 kB, Deneb

Power Supply
Seasonic S12II-520 (SS-520GB)
520 Watt, ATX12V 2.2, ATX 2.03, EPS, 6 x, 6 x

Case
Antec Two Hundred V2
3x 5,25" extern, 1x 2,5" Hotswap, 6x 3,5" intern, , ATX, µATX

Motherboard
Motherboard Socket AM3+
GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3
AMD 970, ATX, 2x PCIe 2.0 x16, AM3+

Harddisk
Harddisks 3,5 inch SATA
Seagate ST320DM000
320 GB, - / 16 / 7200, € 0,23*, Serial ATA/600

Memory
Memory DDR3-1600
G.Skill 4 GB DDR3-1600 Kit
4096 MB, CL7 8-7-24, 2 stuk(s), PC3 12800

My wish is that i could play World of Warcraft on Ultra with Maximum Viewing Distance (No shadows though) Also i'd love

to play GTA IV, Farcry 2, Skyrim. Not neccesarily maxed out but it needs to be playable.. maybe like 30-40 FPS?

First problem i stumbled upon is that some folks seem to be able to play WoW on ultra, and GTA on good with this card.

While other people tell me it's too weak and i should buy a better one.

Second is that my brother who has knowledge of computer tech says that this card is very good and i will be very pleased.

About the Power Supply, my brother also says that all this will run fine on, say, a 300-400 watt power supply. While

other guys on PC forums tell me that basically i am going to be destroying my video card slowly if i dont take a power

supply with high enough watt. And what about the Memory? Does this look alright?

Alright this is what people said about my build:

"I would prefer to see a 550W minimum PSU.
You will also need a SATA optical drive.
The rest looks good to me."

"You won't be able to max out World of Warcraft with max viewing distance on a 6670 unfortunately. With a some compromise

you will get smooth performance in-raid but as for 40+fps while flying with max viewing distance I doubt the 6670 will be

very rewarding.

http://media.bestofmicro.com/1/2/269...ics 1920.png

I would recommend the 6870, considering how much time you're going to be putting in on WoW and that it's only a little

more expensive than the 6850.

A good quality ~650w PSU would be required for any of those cards."

I don't understand, everytime i get close to a complete PC someone says that im making the wrong move. Also i dont

understand how i "cannot play wow on ultra and max view distance" with a HD6670 but i can perfectly with a 6870.

I appreciate anyone who reads this, thanks in advance

Rarrarr

a 6870 is a much more powerful card than a 6670.

you can play on ultra with a 6670, but not at 1920x1080.

poor quality psu's can destroy components, but not because they are too high voltage. that really has nothing to do with it. cheap psu's can hurt computers.

can you link to the components on newegg or wherever you are choosing your parts?

I have a 6670 and i hate it because u can never really play games at high settings but wow gets Ultra at 1680x1050 30-35 frame rates for me i would get a 6850 tho because they should be cheap with the new additon of the 7770

Instead of a seasonic 520 watt get like an OCZ Modxstream 700w,

And 320gb is not alot i would get something like 500gb at least because it wont last a while after u download some movies music and games ull have like nothing left.

1) A 520W PSU is fine for this build, AMD suggests a 400W and that is a padded number (they suggest a 500W for a 5750 and I ran it fine on a 400W).

2) Without a direct link can't give you an opinion on the RAM, although G.Skill typically makes a quality product backed by a lifetime warranty.

3) You most likely will need an optical drive (DVD/CD drive) of some sort, as well as an operating system?

4) Reviews of the cards you're looking at can clear up a lot of confusion.
HD6670 Far Cry 2 Performance | HD6670 WoW Performance, HD6870 WoW Performance.

I would suggest posting your budget and what components you need (just GPU, CPU, PSU, Case, MB, HDD, RAM?) and letting people post back some suggestions.

a 6870 is a much more powerful card than a 6670.

you can play on ultra with a 6670, but not at 1920x1080.

poor quality psu's can destroy components, but not because they are too high voltage. that really has nothing to do with it. cheap psu's can hurt computers.

can you link to the components on newegg or wherever you are choosing your parts?

Alright thanks, the 6870 is only slightly more expensive so i would be dumb not to go for it. I don't know at what resolution i will run WoW, i got a medium sized flatscreen but i think that 1920x1080 would be best for me. What i meant with power supply is that i need a power supply that gives enough watt, i initially went with 320 watt or something but that is too low.

Then i made a change to my build with the new Power Supply and linked it here. So infact the power supply in this build is ok, but my previous choice wasn't. Here's the link to the site i'm planning of buying from. They allow you to put together a build, then they will actually make it and send it.

ALTERNATE. Hardware - Software - Entertainment

@Roark: Ok that sounds good, one question about the power supply though; My brother has a "Nvidia 8800 GTS" (3 years old) and he runs his pc on 380 V. My other brother has a similar PC, slighty worse and he runs it on a power supply that is even lower. They both say that i should not worry that much, but at the same time i definetaly want the right parts in my PC. Buying a 700W power supply also means that, if i were to upgrade my video card in a year or two, i'd probably dont have to touch my power supply right?

I have a legit copy of windows so that isnt a deal, but you are right about the DVD CD drive.. Could i put the DVD CD drive from my old computer into my new? I guess so. Otherwise i'll get a new one. My budget is about 500-600 euro which is low i know but this site, Alternate, has great deals and i can probably get all this for about 600 euro. The build i listed above came to a total of 540 euro. About the component, well i need just about anything that makes a computer whole haha. So i guess that everything in your list.

@Talyor I was hoping i could get 1920x1080 on ultra, also about 30-40 FPS so i will need to pick better parts. I'm not sure if getting more memory is right for me, my previous PC had 200 MB, i remember that i put so many stuff on that PC and it never ever got anywhere close to full. 320 MB is probably more than i will ever need, considering i don't store alot of movies, certainly no HD movies. And even with 20 games installed i had room left. But i will keep it in mind though.. Maybe it is time for me to download some HD movies haha with this new PC

Thank you all, i hope i answered the questions correctly

Buying a 700W power supply also means that, if i were to upgrade my video card in a year or two, i'd probably dont have to touch my power supply right?

Could i put the DVD CD drive from my old computer into my new?

Generally yes, if you get a 700W it leaves more room for future upgrades.
But, I don't foresee needing that much juice in the near future. Even now its rare for a top-end card to need >600W.
Also if it comes down to a lower watt quality PSU versus a cheap high watt PSU I'd take the lower watts any day.

Depends on how the old DVD/CD drive connects to the motherboard. If it is by a thick flat ribbon probably not, unless it also has a SATA connector.

Hi everybody,

Today i made my purchase, therefore this topic can be closed. I would like to thank you all for helping me on my way!

Greetz

Hi everybody,

Today i made my purchase, therefore this topic can be closed. I would like to thank you all for helping me on my way!

Greetz
Be sure to update us on how the build goes. Also, we love to see pictures of the build. :big_smile:

Hey,

Ofcourse i will tell you all about, i just didnt think anyone would care really since there are so many topics around.. I placed the order yesterday and with some luck i get it within 5-10 days. This is my final build, the one i ordered:

Video Card ATI/AMD PCIe
SAPPHIRE HD6670 (11192-12-20G)
AMD Radeon HD6670, 1024 MB, 128 Bit, PCIe x16 v2.0, PCIe x16 v2.1

CPUs Socket AM3
AMD Phenom II X4 960T
4x 3000 MHz, 4x 512 kB, 6144 kB, Deneb

Power Supply 520W
Seasonic S12II-520 (SS-520GB)
520 Watt, ATX12V 2.2, ATX 2.03, EPS, 6 x, 6 x

Casing Mini Tower
Antec Two Hundred V2
3x 5,25" extern, 1x 2,5" Hotswap, 6x 3,5" intern, , ATX, µATX

Motherboard Socket AM3+
GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3
AMD 970, ATX, 2x PCIe 2.0 x16, AM3+

Harddisks 3,5 inch SATA
Western Digital WD5000AADS
500 GB, 14,5 / 32 / -, € 0,16*, Serial ATA/300

Memory DDR3-1333
Corsair 4 GB DDR3-1333
4096 MB, CL9 9-9-24, 1 stuk(s), PC3 10600

Even though the Casing is budget, it still looks badass:

http://www.google.nl/imgres?q=antec...6&start=0&ndsp=50&ved=0CF4QrQMwBw&tx=75&ty=90

Costs are 512 euro, and with shipping/building/insurance and taxes it's 611 euros

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom