New to pc building

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think might find out a little bit of my computer before I go ahead building my own.
so I have found out that my motherboard is the - ASUS P5VD2-MX
and my processor is the Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 ( socket 775 )

Would my motherboard handle anything above the Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 or is that the limit?

Thanks Xetter

ok thanks, how did you find out that the E6700 was the limit, is it something in the motherboard that limits this?

plus what are the differences between chipsets and sockets -(what do they control)

Xetter

On the CPU support list on the link above.

The socket is your CPU controller. And your CPU has a memory controller in it. Your chipset controls everything else on the board. Your back ports, USB, sound, etc. The chipset also allows you to OC.

could you give me a briefing of over clocking?

Xetter

Plus why can`t my motherboard handle the core two extreme x6800 .... and others?

Thanks Xetter

I'll leave the OC bit to Slaymate. He knows more about overclocking than anybody. I'll ring him in for ya.

It can use the X6800. It just needs a BIOS flash.

Sí, lo siento mi hermano :lol:

BIOS flash is when you update your bios. You have a BIOS "rom" that you will have on a flash drive or cd, that it replaces the old BIOS with the new. Adds more features to your board. Better updatability.

And your CPU has a memory controller in it.

Skt LGA775 cpu's don't have the memory controller built-in.

Overclocking is the art of making your computer run at a faster clock speed than it was sold at. My cpu is sold as a i7 2600K that runs at 3.4GHz but it is overclocked to 5GHz. You can also overclock other components, as well as the cpu, if your system permits it. Most pre-build computers (like Dell, HP, etc...) can not be overclocked. Overclocking can damage your components if done improperly and it voids your warranty, through most companies don't ask (If they don't ask I don't tell).

Your motherboard was made before the extreme X6800 and others were made so it just wasn't designed to support them. A bios flash may work for a better cpu but unless you get a really good deal on a cpu it's probably not worth it. Compared to a more modern cpu the X6800 is still a piece of crap with todays newer software applications and games.

Ok, as you guys are the experts and I'm a little fond of gaming myself I was wondering if I need to upgrade the CPU to the W6700 to play the game reasonably or if I need to upgrade my whole system ( motherboard and all ).

Thanks Xetter :)

Secondly, im confused with the processors, there are all sorts of Intel and AMD for example the Xeon and the core 2 duo and the i3, i5 and i7

is there a chart with the power these produce or is it a guess?
im not entirely sure where to look if im looking for an i5 as there are so many different types???

Xetter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom