New PC Build - Suggestions Requested

XGC Forsakend

Student & Lover of Games
Hey guys,

So you guys helped me build my current PC 6.5 yrs ago and I feel it is time to rebuild. I plan on eventually giving my current PC to my sis as she is trying to get a start on drawing/streaming. She has been getting requests to do live drawing sessions and her PC can't handle it.

I've been holding off on rebuilding as I was hoping to get the new Nvidia GPU's at launch but the rumors keep changing constantly. I was also thinking on going with an i7-8700, but heard they were compatible with certain mobo's only.

I've also been curious about the liquid cooling for the CPU. I'm not planning on overclocking, just trying to keep temps lower as the room its self isn't cooled and can reach 100 deg + humidity. Will probably ask a friend to help me install it. I don't even know what to look for in the cooler.

Current specs:
i5 3570k
ASRock Z75
8 GB Ram
GTX 970 ACX 2.0 or along those lines
Corsair TX650
Windows 10 64 bit

I'm setting my budget to roughly $3,000 to start and see what that gets me. I'll be keeping my current GPU until the next gen releases. Primary usage will be gaming with a rare video recording/you tube/stream. I don't have much time to record as I used to.

This is what I am currently looking at:
i7-8700
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117826

CPU Case
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811353143&ignorebbr=1

p.s. Ram is still freaking expensive.

I know you won't be overclocking, but just get the 8700k instead. Has a 500mhz higher base clock than the 8700.

That case will be an airflow disaster. I wouldn't get anything that completely covers the front in favor of little slits on the side.

I would get the ASRock Z370 Extreme4
32GB of RAM (I know, I know, oof)
eVGA G3 650W
500GB 970 EVO
Corsair H115i Pro RGB (get a case that supports 140mm fans and 120mm)

Your extra cheaper storage of choice. Be it a HDD or an M.2 860 EVO.

For 3 grand though, you could do a lot more but if you're a simple user you won't need anywhere near that.

I considered getting the 8700k, but didn't know how much of a difference it would have made. I'll pick it up. It is apparently being bundled with the corsair h115i pro rgb as well for $15 off, so it works out.

32GB huh... that is nearly a brand new GPU. That's crazy. Should I look for something in particular or anything? Currently eyeing DDR4 3200. It's got RGB lights which isn't a need but at least it will make me feel better about the price? maybe.

500GB 970 EVO
I should of mentioned I already have an SSD and 1 HDD I planned on keeping. I'll give her my unused 1TB when I upgrade and did consider grabbing a 2nd SSD.
Looking at it though, I haven't seen a SSD like that before. Does it plug straight into the board? My current SSD only has system files, OS for faster booting, is plugged in via SATA and is 240 or 250GB. I'm thinking i'll leave my OS on current one and use this one for priority games and the HDD for storage.

I know the case is mostly preference but will the airflow be that bad? My current one is very similar. Only has the single 240 fan on the front, exhaust on the back and 1 fan on the top. No additional vent areas except the bottom for the PSU. I'll consider looking at a new one but would this case work with the h115i pro? Top of case has room for 2 x 120mm fans. The h115i says 280mm but the fans are 120mm so I just want to make sure.

Thanks for the help.

16GB is practically the minimum now like 8GB used to be before. You could do with 16GB for now (prices aren't reflective of value, the big 3 are price fixing again) but if you're comfortable with it you might not grab more later. That's why I put 32, but it's up to you. You did say 3000 after all lol.

NVMe storage is completely wasted on games, and yes M.2 SSDs go right on the board. That's why I listed off the 970 EVO and 860 EVO. The 970 for OS and programs, the 860 for games as it's still a SATA drive.

Yea, blocked airflow is terrible in any scenario. The H115i is a 280mm rad and so it uses dual 140mm fans. To use it you will need a case that supports 140mm fans.

I'm aware 16GB is the new minimum, I had to drop to 8GB months back and it's a difference. Never went back up to 16GB due to ram pricing and was hoping to wait it out, but I dont want to wait any longer.

I'm saying it's crazy just because I remember paying 120 for 16GB. Now it's nearly 4x the price. Read an article about a possible class action against intentional price gouging, unsure when that will take place.

Aight if that 970 evo is wasted on games, I'll probably drop it to a 250GB and have it as my OS/Programs. I dont have much installed that would really require more than 40GB + OS. I've been installing non priority programs on other drives. I'll just get a higher capacity SSD for the games and pass the current one to the sis. She will be happy.

Aight if that 970 evo is wasted on games, I'll probably drop it to a 250GB and have it as my OS/Programs. I dont have much installed that would really require more than 40GB + OS. I've been installing non priority programs on other drives. I'll just get a higher capacity SSD for the games and pass the current one to the sis. She will be happy.

I have a 250GB 970 EVO myself. I moved from a WD Blue SSD to it and the difference is huge.

I'm aware 16GB is the new minimum, I had to drop to 8GB months back and it's a difference. Never went back up to 16GB due to ram pricing and was hoping to wait it out, but I dont want to wait any longer.

I'm saying it's crazy just because I remember paying 120 for 16GB. Now it's nearly 4x the price. Read an article about a possible class action against intentional price gouging, unsure when that will take place.

It's not price gouging, that's the GPUs (and that's not Nvidia or AMD, it's retailers). It's straight up price fixing, and yes the big 3 are being hammered for it finally. In 2016 I paid 154 to the dollar for a 2x16GB kit and that same kit is STILL 409 bucks. I really want to move to a 64GB kit so I can use what little DDR4 I have in other machines that need it but when you're looking at financing RAM of all things there's a problem.

Honestly if you don't use that much space for your OS drive I say just ditch the HDD entirely and go with the setup I listed originally. If you don't game much you can keep a couple games on the 950 EVO and install/store non essentials on the 860 EVO. With how cheap 500GB+ is becoming for SATA based SSDs there's no reason to really hang on to a HDD or even have cabled drives for that matter unless you absolutely need a lot of cold storage.

Thanks for the correction. I honestly didn't know the difference between the terms. Regardless, it is more expensive than it should be and caused intentionally is what I was trying to get at.

Yea my OS drive will have minimal items in there and I will keep it that way as best as I can. I don't want to ditch the HDD as I do use Nvidia shadowplay and keep recordings I like from it and maybe one day edit/upload.

I have been prepping my purchase and creating a PCPartPicker list as well as adding the parts for purchase in carts from the site and noticed something. Reading the MOBO as I was adding it stated my chosen RAM wouldn't be supported. How big of an issue would this be?

Z370 Extreme 4.JPG
RGB RAM.JPG

I am still searching for a case but otherwise looking to start my purchases no later than Wednesday hopefully.

They're just referring to the tested compatible memory from ASRock officially. RAM is RAM homie, it'll work if anything at 3000MHz easy peasy.

Update:
So I've had a friend assist and build the pc weeks back and so far it has been great. There were issues such as a DOA broken CPU cooler that wasnt discovered until the initial build date. I would post pictures but I'll spare you the not so perfect cable management image.

Today is the supposed day where Nvidia talk about the upcoming GPU's. Wanted to hear the opinions from you guys and if anyone planned on picking one up.

I am looking at the 2080ti to complete my build yet unsure if I should to wait for the competitor cards (EVGA/GIGABYTE) or not.

Back
Top Bottom