New PC Build - Require Input - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Old 06-24-2012, 04:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: New PC Build - Require Input

So did you end up building this pc or if not what parts did you change?

Jtotheosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
True Techie

Im looking at building a high end gaming comp here soon also. I have been reading and researching too. A good source of info is Toms Hardware, specifically, this article on Best gaming CPU, Best Gaming CPU: $200 And Up : Best Gaming CPUs For The Money: June 2012

You can spend all you want on parts, but you'll see a diminished return on some, in others words up to a point you get the most speed for your money, then after that its just money , not much speed. Myself, I'm looking at the i5-3570K CPU, I don't think the i7-3930K is worth the extra money in gains, and that's basically what they say on Tom Hardware also.

I would spend more on graphics card my self, I'm looking at the EVGA GTX670, which is right up there behind the 680 and 690. I think that's money well spent. I think your two main choices is CPU and Graphics card, after that , the rest are personal choice. You will definitely want a SSD main drive, look at how much space your using on your current main drive and buy accordingly. I am using 150gig of my 250 gig main drive, so I want a 240gig SSD myself. I could buy a 150gig SSD, but I want some grow room. Read all over Toms Hardware and you will learn a bunch, just my suggestion.

Runfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:35 AM   #13 (permalink)
Super Techie

Originally Posted by Jtotheosh View Post
So did you end up building this pc or if not what parts did you change?
Just finished the build tonight, about 30 minutes ago and posting from my new beast.

Only thing I changed out was the heat sink, went with the Cool Master Hyper 212. I didn't realize how big this thing actually was, it only fits in my case with about 1 centimeter to spare.

But, I'm currently running at 27 degrees idle (very cool night tonight), haven't taken it to load yet or overclocked. Windows 7 Performance index is at 7.6

From Bios screen to full OS load its about 14 seconds. Very happy so far. SDD FTW!!

Case: COOLER MASTER Centurion 5
CPU: Intel Core Duo E6750 2.66GHz @ 3.2GHz
GPU: EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 320MB
RAM: G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800
(RIP) HDD 1: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB
HDD 1: Western Digital Caviar Blue 320 GB
HDD 2: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB
HDD 3: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
HS: ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler
Audio: Maya1010 Pci with Breakout Box
BlueHeaven is offline   Reply With Quote