New PC build - please review/critique

Status
Not open for further replies.

TommyT

Solid State Member
I'm sure that there are tons of these, however I'd just like some feedback as I'm about to have all the necessary funds to start ordering components so I'd figure I would get some final opinions/comments. My purposes for this machine range for school use: programming, generating - to gaming and media input/output.

I'm reusing my old case, DVD drive, CD/DVD Burner, and an already being used SATA HDD for a secondary drive.

CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 Conroe 2.33GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor

** I was also considering the next step up with the E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz

Mobo - MSI P6N SLI Platinum LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

**This is my main concern, I don't foresee any problems though and I've read nothing but good reviews about this board.

RAM - 4GB (4 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit

**4GB of RAM should be plenty for anything I have planned within the future, however the mobo has the option of going up to 8GB ( or so it says )

GPU - MSI GeForce 8800GT 512MB

**I don't have a reason to go dual 8800's yet, however I wouldn't be against it assuming my PSU can handle the drain from the cards

PSU - CORSAIR CMPSU-520HX ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 520W Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC Class B, TUV, CCC, C-tick

**Taken directly from guides on this site. I know it's a little more expensive for the output however from the specifications I am willing to pay a bit more.

HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

**Going to be my main media drive. Still unsure whether or not to put my OS(s) on the older drive and use this to write my data.

Actually, keep with the 6550. I just built a system using that CPU and with a Gigabyte p35-DS3L motherboard it overclocks very easily. Get a good cooler for an extra $30 and overclock that baby to 3GHz if you want an alternate solution than choosing the 6750.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom