New pc build help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xiahou

In Runtime
Hi there,

Building a new pc so i'd appreciate if anyone could help me out. Been out of it all since I built my last pc really (about 4 years ago?) so that's why I came here to get some advice.

I'll be using it for my uni work - my course is digital media. 3D work really, as well as photoshop etc. Also, some games but, in particular, Flight simulator x will be getting played a fair bit!

I already have the GTX 460 765mb, a case and an optical drive including windows 7. So that leaves everything else. I am on a budget but I'm not too quite sure where that budget now stands. I thought around 600 pound without the graphics card. Also, I've never overclocked before but I guess you have to start somewhere. Could be an option for me.

By the way - I came across an excellent guide for setting up FSX that I have been reading. One part in particular i'd like some help with. If you could go to this website (SETTING UP FSX and HOW TO TUNE IT - SimForums.com Discussion) and find on page ''About RAID0 in FSX'' it explains the best hard drive solutions with a controller card. I'm swaying towards having FSX on it's own hard drive if I could do it all within budget. I don't store any music or DVDs on my computer so I could have my other hard drive for purely other games, documents and applications.

As i'm based in UK - for anyone living elsewhere that is willing to help me, you could use Aria PC - Computer Hardware, Components, Monitors.. at lowest prices or Overclockers UK for parts.

Appreciate help!
Thanks

***ps. If I could get an i7 setup and save as much money as possible that would be fantastic. I said my budget is 500 pound, but if I could save on this and still get an i7 it would be great. Also, if the AMD 1090T would be fine for what I want to do and I could save money and be better off price vs performance, that would also be an option.*** update below

looks like i7 is the way to go for FSX

Problem is with a budget like that its gonna be tough to put together a i7 build, you will prob have to go with a AMD quad core build

Just checked a few prices and it seems you are right.

Adjusted budget to 600.

with an i7 costing around 250 and a decent ocing mobo costing 150 plus a power supply costing 75 plus, ram around 100, and a HDD from 80 to 120 your gonna be looking at 700 or so on the low end, now you might be able to cut some out of that by finding some combos and some sales but thats a general area

gonna check the i5 760 benchmarks in FSX now.

your idea may be the one to go for.. interesting.

there is no way you can build a compuer with an i7 for $700...

EDIT: disregard everything i said, i wrote this before i read the OP... i am an iddiot...

this is the cheapest i could build a computer with a i5... i have never put together a build where the processor costs more than the graphics card. if this computer is for gamming, you would be much better off getting a nice dual core or AMD tri core and putting more towards the gaphics card... but this is the best i could do, im not good at putting together under $1000 builds... but here is what i got

Case: $40
NZXT GAMMA Classic
Newegg.com - NZXT GAMMA Classic Series GAMA-001BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Mother board: $120
ASUS P7H55D-M EVO
Newegg.com - ASUS P7H55D-M EVO LGA 1156 Intel H55 HDMI USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU: $195
Intel Core i5-750
Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor BX80605I5750

Memory: $97
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM

Graphics Card: $140
HIS H577FK1GD Radeon HD 5770
Newegg.com - HIS H577FK1GD Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity

PSU: $90
CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

Hard Drive: $70
Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

DVD Burner: $20
Newegg.com - LG Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM SATA DVD Burner - Bulk - CD / DVD Burners

Total: $775

it looks like i've got a good deal on an i7 930 saving me 30 pound - about 45 USD.

Mays well go for an i7 system then.

So, at the moment, i've got an i7 930 and a GTX 460. Sean, would you be able to build a rig then around this? If you could do so on Aria PC - Computer Hardware, Components, Monitors.. at lowest prices, that would be brilliant. Don't worry - it also has that case you like on it (I know you love it by checking some other topics :D).

Budget - just don't go too crazy, haha. I'm hoping to finalise the parts I need and save a good bit of money by checking for other deals around the web.

cheers

so you have an i7 930, a 460, a case ( what case? ), an optic drive and windows 7?

whats your remaining budget in UK and USD?

so you have an i7 930, a 460, a case ( what case? ), an optic drive and windows 7?

whats your remaining budget in UK and USD?

Ah, forgot to say - no case anymore. I was planning to use my bro's old case he had for his last pc but he says it's knackered. So need a case now.

Budget? I've made budgets and at the end of the day they all get broken or are not realistic enough. Just not going over the top - if you like, at the lower end of the i7 scale but still a PC that is going to last me a good while. I intend to overclock.

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom