New pc assistance appreciated (noob here : P )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clingy

Beta member
Hi Guys, My current machine below

Motherboard - Asus P5K Premium/WiFi-AP Intel P35 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard
Power supply - Enermax Liberty 620W ELT620AWT ATX2.2 Modular SLI Compliant PSU
Ram - OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 PC2-8500C5 1066MHz Dual Channel (OCZ2RPR10664GK)
Processor - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 LGA775 "Yorkfield" 2.50GHz 6MB-cache (1333FSB) Processor - Retail
Grahics card
BFG GeForce GTX 280 OC - Graphics adapter - Quadro NVS 280 - PCI Express 2.0 x16 - 1 GB GDDR3 - DVI, HDMI ( HDCP ) - HDTV out - retail

I am looking to upgrade my machine. I have recently applied for a loan to do some home improvements and there is a little cash spare (APR is bad and I am getting screwed but what can you do lol)My Graphics card is dying(takes 25 times of turning my pc on and off to get it to work) and rather than just getting a new one I was thinking about upgrading everything. This machine still struggles to run Crysis on high settings and maintain 30FPS. With BF3 and RAGE coming out I was considering upgrading for the future. I have the following concerns and wanted some advice please.

1. The Best place to buy cheap reliable parts on the interwebs? I usually buy from Overclockers.co.uk.
2. Any changes to the hardware market I should be aware of. Every time I upgrade someone usually says...oh dear, you should of waited 2 months - this card is coming out or DDR3 ram was on the horizon. I am quite unlucky at buying for the wrong time
3. What I am looking to build is a high end gaming rig for around £2000 budget. What I would like that to include is a SS HD min 120GB and also Either a top of the range graphics card or 2 **** good ones in SLI. I was looking at the Radeon HD 6990 cards but I think the 7 series might be out later this year and might be a better buy?
4. I am also unsure if 8GB of ram is enough or 16GB might be better for future proofing the pc?
5. Cases I always buy require some sqaushing of cables and nothing ever fits properly. A very big gaming case suitable for multiple cards would be useful.
6. I also have noclue about cooling and fans/power supplys. Usually I buy the bits and then get my little brother to put it together.

Any assistance and advice would be greatly appreciated.

I should add I am probably going to be doing this beginning of October, just in time for BF3. So can wait for new hardware on the horizon if its coming out in the next month

Come back to us in a month - hardware prices can fluctuate quite a lot, plus new stuff comes out. If we specced out a build for you now we'd probably have to change several things by the time you buy.

1. Overclockers, Scan, eBuyer, they're all good.
2. Ivy Bridge (new enthusiast-level Intel CPUs) are coming in january or february, some time around then. If you're gaming though, the current Sandy Bridge CPUs will be plenty.
3. Personally I'd go for Nvidia, they're slightly pricier currently but I tend to prefer Nvidia drivers (things like program-specific forced anti-aliasing is a lot easier with Nvidia). This is something that we can give you a better answer on in a month.
4. 8GB is plenty for gaming. The only reason to be going with more than 8GB is stuff like professional image/video editing and using VMs. Tbh 4GB is enough but 8GB keeps you safe until you next upgrade.
5. There are loads of good cases around nowadays compared to when 775 was newish. Also something I can better recommend come October.
6. We can help you with that easily :) Just get a decent-sized case with several large fans, plus a decent CPU cooler, and you're fine.

SSD prices in particular are going down all the time, so that's definitely something better to recommend nearer the time.

Thanks for the advice man,the real dilemma I am facing is seems the new wave of gpu and CPU are on the way. HD7000 series and nvidea 600 series. Seems my pc picked a bad time to start dying : )

Come back to us in a month - hardware prices can fluctuate quite a lot, plus new stuff comes out. If we specced out a build for you now we'd probably have to change several things by the time you buy.

1. Overclockers, Scan, eBuyer, they're all good.
2. Ivy Bridge (new enthusiast-level Intel CPUs) are coming in january or february, some time around then. If you're gaming though, the current Sandy Bridge CPUs will be plenty.
3. Personally I'd go for Nvidia, they're slightly pricier currently but I tend to prefer Nvidia drivers (things like program-specific forced anti-aliasing is a lot easier with Nvidia). This is something that we can give you a better answer on in a month.
4. 8GB is plenty for gaming. The only reason to be going with more than 8GB is stuff like professional image/video editing and using VMs. Tbh 4GB is enough but 8GB keeps you safe until you next upgrade.
5. There are loads of good cases around nowadays compared to when 775 was newish. Also something I can better recommend come October.
6. We can help you with that easily :) Just get a decent-sized case with several large fans, plus a decent CPU cooler, and you're fine.

SSD prices in particular are going down all the time, so that's definitely something better to recommend nearer the time.

Just to note, you can already buy motherboards that will support Ivy bridge and pcie 3.0 tech. Future proofing.

I'd also recommend you go with 16 GB of RAM. Why not? It's dirt cheap.

At your budget, I'd get two GTX 580s and SLI Them.

Get a solid Corsair PSU (professional series).

If you're concerned about upgrading later on, get a single GTX 570 now, and sell it later when the new cards come out, then get two of those and SLI them. That will last you 2-3 years easy.

I have about 2000 to spend but would 2x gtx 580s not leave me a little short for the rest of the parts?

Do you know much about eyefinity and the cost? I made a post about it. Was considering the idea : )

Never done it myself, but if you have the monitors already there really isn't much extra cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom