New PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wayniac

Daemon Poster
I have a friend who would like to build a new computer. I haven't been on here in a while and would like a little bit of assistance in building this. He said he is going to be doing a lot of gaming on it, so I told him that he should probably go with AMD and stay away from DDR2 RAM.

He said there is not much of a limit to spending, but try to keep this reasonable will you?

Processor: Probably going with AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+. Not sure if there is really a better one out there right now that is still reasonably affordable.

Video Card: Mobo will have to be pci-express to futureproof it, so probably 7800 or 7900 in there somewhere? Also, should we go with GTX?

Motherboard: No idea what would be good here, open to any suggestions.

Ram: I was thinking two 1 gig sticks in dual channel. Not sure what kind of ram though, any suggestions?

Hard Drive: He said he'll need a lot of memory. I was thinking about RAIDing two 160 gig hard drives, but would it be better to RAID four 80 gig hard drives?

DVD rom: Need one for writing and reading that is top end, and one that is quiet and speedy for playing games, I'm open to suggestions here as well.

That's a good start, thanks for all of the help in advance everyone.

Well, since you havent been on here in a while i suppose you do not know about conroe then. It seems Intel has made a huge step past AMD with the core 2 duo's. These bad boys are really putting a hurt on AMD. Anyway, 2 gigs of memory will be fine. a 7900gt would prolly be a good choice, save the money that you would have speny on a gtx and use it on a second gen dx10 card possibly r600 core from ati.

Yeah, if there isn't much limit to spending most people will tell you to go with the Conroe's.
Why stay away from DDR2?
Good motherboards are Asus/DFI
X1900XT's seem to be one of the best video cards out atm or overclock a 7900GT.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom