New MSI 6600gt doesnt look all that great...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sprtnbsblplya

Daemon Poster
So I just installed a new MSI 6600GT into the AGP on my Shuttle SN41G2.
I installed the latest nVidia drivers, 81.98, and played around a little bit on Half-Life 2 and FarCry and noticed a few things didnt look that great.
In Half-Life 2, the ammo count doesnt show up anywhere on the screen, and when it says that I just picked up some new ammo a tiny piece of the notification box stays on the screen.
In Half-Life 2, the lighting is all off, everything is lit up way too brightly, and also when swimming the underwater foliage has weird blue boxes around it.

I thought this was supposed to be a high end graphics card that should be able to chew up and spit out games like this, what gives?

HAHA, High-end, lol. No, its not good enough for Half Life 2. For one; Half Life 2 hates Nvidia cards, and for another; are you sure theres nothing wrong with your videocard? Over-overclocking, overheating...etc.

1) What are you graphics settings?

2) the 6600GT is far from "high end" It is a mid range graphics card. I do believe the AGP is even worse. I think it only has GDDR2 or something.

Nope, it shouldnt be overheating, no artifacts.
By high-end I mean it should have no problems running todays latest games, especially on a college students budget.
(Not everyone has $300-$500 for a 6800-7800.)

For Half-Life 2, everything is set on medium, and on FarCry I cranked everything up, as even my 9600 Pro could handle most stuff on that one turned up somewhat.
I dont get why this card is showing some weird stuff.

I'm running it at 1280x1024 res., with 2x AA and 1x AF (maybe the other way around), environment on high, shaders on low, lighting on low, water on high, I think those are the settings for both of the games.

yeah, take of the 2x AA and 1x AF. I don't think you're card is built to have those on.

Also, does anyone know of a VGA cooler compatible with the 6600GT that will fit into a Shuttle XPC case with no spare room on the fan side of the AGP card?

sprtnbsblplya said:
Also, does anyone know of a VGA cooler compatible with the 6600GT that will fit into a Shuttle XPC case with no spare room on the fan side of the AGP card?

Can't help you there dude, sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom