New motherboard not sure if compatible with current CPU + new PSU

DznFusion

Beta member
hi im looking into getting a new Motherboard due to my current one being abit out dated and not SLI compatible im looking into buying the

- MSI Z87-G45-GAMING ATX Motherboard -

but im not sure if its compatible with my CPU (the answer could be in plane site i just dont understand all the parts i have some knowledge E.g if you had all parts i could build and pc and get it going but not sure about parts) anyway my current CPU is

- Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 @ 3.40 GHz -

Second part of the topic is the PSU i haven't chosen one yet because i want an expert opinion it will be running the radeon 7770 ghz edition for a while then running Nvidia 680/690 in SLI config + 3 3TB HDDS + 1 250GB SSD + 1 blu ray drive

Thank you

hey dude im getting either the 680 or 690 depending on how much i can get i just bought load of new reptiles and a new bike so having to fork out for fuel and energy bills plus ive literaly just turned 16 and haven't had chance to get a job yet :\ and with the rest being irrelevant it isnt as my current PSU will only allow me 2 HHD's at a time and 1 SSD

P.s il take you up on that GTA 5 remark even tho its had to come out for pc because we are the superior race!!!!!

The piece of information you are looking for is "socket type". This describes the shape of the processor and must match the motherboard's processor slot.

According to Newegg, your Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 @ 3.40 GHz has an LGA 1155 socket (Intel Core i7-2600 Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 BX80623I72600 - Newegg.com) Click on the details tab and locate "CPU Socket Type".

Newegg.com - MSI Z87-G45 Gaming LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Pro Gaming with Killer Networking & Sound Blaster Intel Motherboard
Same process with your motherboard, under the details tab, look for "CPU Socket Type". Unfortunately this board uses the LGA 1150 socket, so these two will not be compatible.

The LGA 1150 is Intel's replacement/upgrade to the LGA 1155 (3rd Generation vs 4th Generation). A surefire method to locating compatible mobo-cpu combos is to take advantage of preconfigured combinations listed online. Under Hardware>CPU/Processors, on the left hand side there will be a category listed as "Combo Deals", choose the "CPUs & Motherboards" option(For Newegg at least). Often you will find a discount associated with these listings as well.

*Edit* Looks like Mguire beat me to it, I started my reply at 12:30, can't believe I spent 18 minutes on that.

Last edited:
Well a single 690 is significantly better than a single 680, and neither require a SLI motherboard. Then again, I wouldn't buy either one considering the 700 series is out and a 770 is literally the same thing as a 680 but usually cheaper.
A couple HDDs and an SSD hardly take any wattage. If you are limited by connectors then that's one thing, but other than that amount of drives or fans really is irrelevant.

To give you you a broad answer. A 750w PSU like this one would run either a single 690, single 680, two 680s, or two 770s.
Corsair 750W HX 80PLUS Gold Modular PSU | Ebuyer.com

The GTA remark was from another member to me. I'm the one doubting they will release GTAV for PC anytime soon after the console release.

Back
Top Bottom