new motherboard...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stishdr

Baseband Member
I have this piece of crap motherboard in my pc right now, i have a HP computer, came with this Asus P4GV crappy motherboard and an Intel Celeron D cpu. Im not sure what motherboard i should upgrade to, or if it is compatable, so if someone could help, that would be great. thanks. I also want to put a new processor in it, and i like to play games. suggestions please..

ya know, i really have no idea, how would i find this out? its' just a normal rectangular case, how do i go about and find this out?

if its an hp, its probably micro atx

here is an aproximation,

2 cd drive bays and 1 floppy disk bay = micro atx

4 cd bays and 2 floppys = mid atx

yea, it has 2 cd bays, and 1 floppy, so micro atx. just find a motherboard that fits that, and im good to go?

yea, look at newegg. and make sure it is compatable...

I have had trouble makeing the power button and lights work when replaceing stock motherboards before...

what model of hp is it? (should say on the front somewhere)

EDIT: if it was me, I would just get a new case and motherboard, its a lot easier to set up then trying to change out stock parts...

if you get a case and motherboard, just put everything else from the old computer into the new one...

here are some cases...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&Category=0&minPrice=&maxPrice=&Go.x=0&Go.y=0
http://www.geeks.com/products.asp?cat=CAS

This will be my first building pc. so yea, i found the case i want, im wondering if i can get it cheaper though, the Raidax samuri looks hot. And now im going to be able to get any motherboard that i want? and stick all the old parts in there besides the processor and ram,( i want to upgrade neway) and when you buy new motherboards, do the BIOS come with them, or am i completely off? thanks for the help.

yes the bios comes with the motherboard, lol

do you have an operating systme to put on it...?

EDIT: usually when changeing hardware, you have to reinstall windows

what do you use, windows xp, me:mad:,98 or 2000

windows xp will most likely have to be reinstalled(so be ready to back up your stuff)

windows 98 might not need to be reinstalled, (but reinstalling it will speed it up*same with any operating systems)

windows me is evil (time for update)

and I am not very experienced with 2000

yes, i have windows xp, came with the HP i have. i made like 12 back up cd's when i got the computer just in case i had a system crash, so i do have the back up cd's. im not sure when i would have to use them though, like put everything together, then start loading discs...? if there's nething else u think i need to know, it would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Using your HP restore disks will not work for a new computer, as it will install all the HP drivers and such for the OLD system. You will need to install a CLEAN copy of WinXP in order to get a good, working system without hassles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom