new monitor for new graphics card? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2014, 05:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default new monitor for new graphics card?

I've made a post here not long in the past, I got lots of great responses and help and am now on my way to my new high end gaming computer.

My current specs so far:

Gtx 780 sc

I7 920 2.67ghz processor

I've been told that with these specs and only an Acer al2016w that its sort of a waste. I think it's less than 1080p. What do you guys think? Do I need a better monitor? Or should I just stick with what I've got?

Thanks,

Tristan

tristanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 05:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Build Guru

Default Re: new monitor for new graphics card?

Being a waste is only relative to the person giving the opinion. A lower resolution with higher end hardware just means higher FPS at the expense of slightly less sharp picture quality. So basically what I'm saying is, are you happy with your screen? If so, then I see no need in replacing it.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 05:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
Being a waste is only relative to the person giving the opinion. A lower resolution with higher end hardware just means higher FPS at the expense of slightly less sharp picture quality. So basically what I'm saying is, are you happy with your screen? If so, then I see no need in replacing it.
I merely seek the best experience. If I can get a better screen without sacrificing too much performance I will. Do you have any suggestions?
Old 01-25-2014, 05:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Build Guru

Well the best experience is relative to how deep your pockets are

So what's your budget?

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
Well the best experience is relative to how deep your pockets are

So what's your budget?
Couple hundred dollars, no more than 400 though.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Monster Techie

PP Mguire Knows his stuff, He's like our Yodo for helpful tech info here LOL He knows his stuff. I am running a 1050 monitor a few years old but will wait until it starts having issues before I upgrade to a better res monitor, IF you do decide to upgrade I wouldn't do it for resolution alone, If you want a bigger screen then that would justify it to me. When I got a 32" TV for my bedroom I had to wait for the wall mount for about a week to come in so I just put it on my desk and used it as a monitor and HOLY CRAP did I love having the size but it eventually went into the bedroom and I'm back to my 22". To be honest I don't think going from 1050 to 1080 will be that much of a change so if you decide to upgrade I think going for just a tad bit more res won't be worth it but if your going for a larger size then I say go for it.

Dauntae

Antec 200 - I7-920 - ASUS P6T - Corsair TX650 it's old but still kicking like a mule
2-EVGA GTX 470 in SLI- ocz vertex 3 SSD 128 gig
Seagate Barracuda 1-TB - OCZ DDR3-1600 12 gigs 3x2
Keeps Me Happy :lol:

If I've been helpful, Please rep me
Dauntae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 06:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Build Guru

Well here's a good start. Just really depends on what YOU want and we can go from there.

Newegg.com - ASUS VG248QE Black 24" 144Hz 1ms (GTG) HDMI Widescreen LED Backlight LCD 3D Monitor Height&pivot adjustable 350 cd/m2 80,000,000:1 Built-in Speakers

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Solid choice PP Mguire. I just got this one SAMSUNG S27C350H Glossy Black 27" Widescreen LCD Monitor - Newegg.com, and I really like it. My only issue with it is that when I set it up straight sometimes it leans forward to much so thats annoying. But other than that awesome!

DBrags is offline   Reply With Quote