new mobo, CPU, RAM and PSU (buying by 9/31)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jordo_99

Daemon Poster
Well my old parts are getting slow and a few have died so I decided to just upgrade all of it. (Other parts for the build are in my sig)

Please keep in mind that I really need to keep this around $400 to $500 but as low as possible (That's about all I can spare and still have "emergency money" after paying bills on the 1st).

Also, I use my computer for gaming and entertainment (TV, music movies) so I'm aiming towards high-performance parts. My main concern is that the RAM and mobo won't be compatible but I was using a Gigabyte DS3 board paired Gskill HZs on my last build and it worked out great.

GSkill DDR2-1000 RAM ($80)
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R MOBO ($126)
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Intel Q6600 CPU ($185)
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Antec True Power Trio ($100...$50 as a combo w/ the Q6600)
Newegg.com - Antec True Power Trio TP3-650 650W ATX12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply with Three 12V Rails - Power Supplies

Everything totals to $460 shipped for me. I just wanted a quad-core and a mobo with dual-LAN ports so I went with the brands I've had good luck with before.

Thanks to all who help me with this and I'm open to all recommendations. I just really need to get my PC up and running again.

EDIT:
I'm also checking out the GSkill PKs which are DDR2-800 for $75
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

ok, my 2nd build option is this:

OCZ OCZ600MXSP 600W PSU ($94.99 - $23 for combo with Reapers and $25MIR)
Newegg.com - OCZ OCZ600MXSP 600W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

OCZ Reapers DDR2-800 ($85 and $20MIR)
Newegg.com - OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

ASUS P5Q Pro ($139.99 and $20MIR)
Newegg.com - ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 ($170 - $35 for combo with ASUS P5Q Pro)
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Overall it's pretty comparable to my origional build, but I used a dual-core cpu instead of quad, and the mobo is practically the same except it only has 1 LAN port vs 2 on the gigabyte board.

What do you guys think about the OCZ MIRs ($45 is a good amount of money to be getting back but I've heard terrible things about OCZ MIRs)

I would go with the second build.

I have never had a problem with OCZ's mir's and have gotten them back quickly.

I would go with the second build.

I have never had a problem with OCZ's mir's and have gotten them back quickly.

Hmm...I've just always been seeing newegg reviews (which are already misleading enough) filled with people whining about their MIRs that never came.

I'll take your word for it over random people on newegg.

Hmm...I've just always been seeing newegg reviews (which are already misleading enough) filled with people whining about their MIRs that never came.

I'll take your word for it over random people on newegg.

well they prolly posted only a month after they sent it, they take awhile to get back i waited about 2 and a half for all mine. also if u did get ur mir would u bother posting about it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom