new mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

taintedplay

lolwut?
In maybe two months, my dad is thinking of upgrading to a quadcore.But, i was thinking, i could sell him mine, and upgrade me as well! Two things:
First off, i need a mobo that will support a quadcore, have 2 pcie16 slots (doesn't have to be sli) and as many pci ports as possible (i have a wireless card, pci graphics card, soundcard, ect id like to be able to fit in).

Also, in the very near future (month -2months) is a new quadcore chip coming out in the 350-400range thats significantly better than the current q6600?

Also, would it be wise for me to buy my dad 2 gigs of 800ballistix, or sell him mine and get some 1066?

I currently have a ds3r by the way

Thanks,
Taintedplay

In maybe two months, my dad is thinking of upgrading to a quadcore.But, i was thinking, i could sell him mine, and upgrade me as well! Two things:
First off, i need a mobo that will support a quadcore, have 2 pcie16 slots (doesn't have to be sli) and as many pci ports as possible (i have a wireless card, pci graphics card, soundcard, ect id like to be able to fit in).

Also, in the very near future (month -2months) is a new quadcore chip coming out in the 350-400range thats significantly better, than the current q6600?

Also, would it be wise for me to buy my dad 2 gigs of 800ballistix, or sell him mine and get some 1066?

I currently have a ds3r by the way

Thanks,
Taintedplay

lol...making money off your dad?

For SLI -
ASUS P5N32-E Plus 650i
EVGA 122-CK-NF68-A1 680i
Or XFX 780i

For Crossfire -
Abit IP35 Pro
ASUS P5K Deluxe
MSI P35 Plat.

In the near future, or a couple of months, the Yorkfield quad cores will have arrived. I wouldn't say "wipe the floor with" better than the Q6600. Although they can overclock, significantly better. If you can wait, I would go for the Yorkfields instead. The Q9450 looks to be the popular choice, at around $300+.

It's up to you, if you want 1066 or not. Either way, Ballistix 800 or 1066 is very overclockable.

haha yep. its how i pay for new parts :) hes bought my past three systems lol.

is there a significant difference between the 650i, 680i, and 780i?

Also, why those particular brands on those particular boards? I have an love my evga graphics card, should i get the mobo evga too?

thanks for the response

is there a significant difference between the 650i, 680i, and 780i?
I don't think there is a big difference, in terms of performance.

650i - Similar to 680i, except that it's PCIe slots in SLI mode, run at 8x 8x.
680i - Runs SLI mode at 16x 16x. Few extra ports, such as USB and SATA.
But it doesn't really matter at the moment, because current graphic cards don't use half or are required to use the full 16x. Assuming you're on a tight budget. If not, 680i.

780i - Like the 680i, but supports PCIe 2.0. And also supports 3-Way SLI. Not much of an improvement, and pretty darn expensive.

Also, why those particular brands on those particular boards? I have an love my evga graphics card, should i get the mobo evga too?
It's not like you'll get an advantage by matching brands together. But those are the brands that came off the top of my head. If you want to see more, look at my Recommended PC Components guide, under my sig.

thanks for the response

Welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom