New Intel Dual Core Celeron Line Planned for First Quarter '08 will be $34 to $59

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, for gaming, cpus are extremely overrated. A better graphics card will always give you a better edge in gaming than a better cpu would. My E2160 stock runs CoD4, Crysis Beta, UT3 Beta and World in Conflict immaculately, and most single cores still run games fine. So super cheap dual-core celies are going to be great if you want to leave some cash for a super high-end graphics card, although the 512kb L2 is a tad worrisome, and you would definitely not have any performance room to alt-tab from a resource intensive game.

Honestly, for gaming, cpus are extremely overrated. A better graphics card will always give you a better edge in gaming than a better cpu would. My E2160 stock runs CoD4, Crysis Beta, UT3 Beta and World in Conflict immaculately, and most single cores still run games fine. So super cheap dual-core celies are going to be great if you want to leave some cash for a super high-end graphics card, although the 512kb L2 is a tad worrisome, and you would definitely not have any performance room to alt-tab from a resource intensive game.

im not gonna agree on that...
when i had my 8800gts paired up with a 3400+ my 3dmark score was 5k and performance was ok...
when i switched to an e6550, my score jumped to 9K...almost 10 even on stock and the increase performance in gaming was major.

yeah the cpu does alot more than you would think. why do you think when comparing cpu's in benchmarks they use the same gpu/system for all of them (or at least as similar as they can amd/intel), and benches get significantly better with a better cpu. as far as i can tell gpu's are held back by the cpu.

im not gonna agree on that...
when i had my 8800gts paired up with a 3400+ my 3dmark score was 5k and performance was ok...
when i switched to an e6550, my score jumped to 9K...almost 10 even on stock and the increase performance in gaming was major.

Yes, that's because there are several benchmarks specifically for the CPU in 3DMark. When I OC'd my processor, I saw no difference in actual framerate in games because my card stayed in stock. In 3DMark, only my cpu-score increased.

In reality, most games are a lot more GPU intensive then they are CPU-intensive, developers do this for the mainstream market, where it's a lot easier to upgrade a video card than it is to upgrade a processor, realistically, the only thing I could see a better processor doing would be decreasing installation and load times, and of course enabling the ability to multi-task, but if you're running the game straight with little else running in the background, even the lowest-end cpu will be enough to play current and upcoming games, and you only notice a cpu-gpu bottleneck when there's a huge gap in technology, like my old 1.6GHz P4 (that ran SDRAM, not DDR) with a 6800GT, and even then, I only saw a 10-15% decrease in performance

Yes, that's because there are several benchmarks specifically for the CPU in 3DMark. When I OC'd my processor, I saw no difference in actual framerate in games because my card stayed in stock. In 3DMark, only my cpu-score increased.

In reality, most games are a lot more GPU intensive then they are CPU-intensive, developers do this for the mainstream market, where it's a lot easier to upgrade a video card than it is to upgrade a processor, realistically, the only thing I could see a better processor doing would be decreasing installation and load times, and of course enabling the ability to multi-task, but if you're running the game straight with little else running in the background, even the lowest-end cpu will be enough to play current and upcoming games, and you only notice a cpu-gpu bottleneck when there's a huge gap in technology, like my old 1.6GHz P4 (that ran SDRAM) with a 6800GT, and even then, I only saw a 10-15% decrease in performance

well the new games comming out are suppose to support and utilize dual cores and quad cores.
I've oc my cpu from 2.3 stock to 3.43 now and ive noticed increase in fps even when my gpu is stock.

The newer card, like the 8800 series, need a better cpu to support it. Im not sure about the older cards, but this is correct about the newer generation cards.

well the new games comming out are suppose to support and utilize dual cores and quad cores.
I've oc my cpu from 2.3 stock to 3.43 now and ive noticed increase in fps even when my gpu is stock.

The newer card, like the 8800 series, need a better cpu to support it. Im not sure about the older cards, but this is correct about the newer generation cards.

Yeah, that's probably true, as the processor does eventually have to process the data presented to it by the GPU (not enitrely sure about this, a tech guru can correct me if I'm wrong), so having a slower cpu would be an issue, it really depends from generation to generation though, but as I said before, there'd have to be a decent gap

Let's agree on this much though:

1) a cpu will last a lot longer than a graphics card would

2) You'll hardly see cpu benchmarks for games because the difference is really negligible considering the huge gap in processor prices. Case in point: Intel Pentium E2140 & E2160 review - TechSpot

Actually scratch all that. Instead:

1) Most games, as far as performance is concerned, rely mainly on the GPU, but CPU-intensive games will benefit from a better processor (pretty obvious really)

well when comparing benchmarks..they usually use c2e...
and larger cache doesnt improve gaming by much...larger cache is better for other cpu usages...

If i goto a quad right now, i know that i will be getting an increase in fps.
I will be going for the new quads that are comming out in 08...most probably the q9450.
But going back on topic...
I think these celrons will benefit the lower budget ppl a lot...especially for small businesses.
Its cheap,and its a dual core.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom