New i7 build, with interest in future-proofing -- 2.5K --any comments before I order?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkVixen00

Solid State Member
Hey, guys! I'm new. But I've been lurking/reading for a little while now.

My main interest is future-proofing.

Intel Core i7 930 Quad Core Processor LGA1366 2.8GHZ 8MB L3 Cache 130W 45NM Retail Box ---- $298.99

GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD9 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 XL ATX Intel Motherboard ---- $699.99

THOSE things are already fixed -- I cannot change them.

Thermaltake ArmorPlus(Armor+) VH6000BWS Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case; No PSU ---- $194.99

KINGWIN Mach 1 ABT-700MA1S 700W ATX / BTX SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Modular Power Supply ---- $104.99

Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler ---- $109.99

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive ---- $104.99

Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2MH080G2R5 2.5" 80GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) ---- $239.99

A DVD reader/writer/etc.;

CORSAIR DOMINATOR-GT 12GB (6 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 Desktop Memory with Airflow Fan Model CMT12GX3M6A1866C9 ---- $514.49

ASUS EAH5970/G/2DIS/2GD5 Radeon HD 5970 2GB 512 (256 x 2)-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Dual GPU Onboard CrossFire Video Card w/ Eyefinity ---- $741.99

---- total price ---- $2770

Does anyone have anything to suggest before I order?

Re: New i7 build, with interest in future-proofing -- 2.5K --any comments before I or

Hi and welcome to the forums. For the most part, that looks like a pretty sweet setup. What are you going to be doing with this setup? There are a few things I would change. First is the case, on my old build I had an Thermaltake Armor VA8000BWS and I did not care for it at all. It did not have very good cable management and I didn't like the flaps on the front. They just get in the way of the dvd drive. I just took mine off. I don't know if the one if you picked out is any different but by looking at the pics, it looks like the same as mine, just a newer model.

Second is the PSU, I would look into getting a bigger PSU, maybe 800 watts or bigger. I would also suggest Corsair. Do you plan on doing crossfire or SLI in the future?

I have that same cooler and it is big. You may have a problem with the cooler getting in the way of the memory. On my setup, the cooler is over top of 2 memory sticks with only about an inch or 2 of clearance, maybe less. Since your memory has a fan, clearance may become an issue.

Where are you ordering the parts from? I looked up a few things on Newegg and they are cheaper than the price you have. The cooler is $20 cheaper and the ram is about $30 cheaper.

Re: New i7 build, with interest in future-proofing -- 2.5K --any comments before I or

you dont need 12 gigs of ram. what is going to be your main use for this computer. 12 gigs of DDR3 Ram is like a LOT of ram. is there any reason you are getting that much? i dont think ive ever used all 4 gigs of my ram.

The case has to have at least 9 expansion slots to accommodate the bottom slots on the motherboard.

Could you suggest a good Corsair modular 850-watt PSU?

I would like to keep the CrossfireX option open.

>Since your memory has a fan, clearance may become an issue.
(sorry for quoting this way; I'm stepping out to a concert in a few minutes)
Thank you, memory. I've seen the CPU cooler's side profile and the way it just fits over the RAM, but I thought the RAM cooling could be adjusted. I'll look into it.

>Where are you ordering the parts from?
newegg.ca (Newegg - Canada)

>you dont need 12 gigs of ram. what is going to be your main use for this computer.

I'll have various audio recording and editing programs open simultaneously. Recording at a bit depth of 24 and a sample rate of 96 K, each channel of audio will be at least 100 MB. Take 20 channels, and that starts to add up. I suppose that 6 GB would be sufficient.

Also, what is the difference between this:
Newegg.ca - Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2M080G2XXX 2.5" 80GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - SSD
and this:
Newegg.ca - Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2MH080G2R5 2.5" 80GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
?

Future Proofing is a Myth :D

Here's a Corsair 850w modular
Newegg.com - CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-850HX 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

The only KINGWIN power supply I've heard good reviews about, not newegg reviews, is the 1000w model. The other models don't seem to measure up as well.

The i7 920 is generally considered a better overclocker than the i7 930. If your not concerned with that then the i7 930 will be your best choice just because it run a little faster at stock speeds.

For what you plan on using the computer for I would probably go ahead and get 12GB of memory (DDR3 1600). But if you do plan on overclocking the 12GB of Memory will stress the Memory Controller harder than 6GB will and it will effect the overclock unless you have excellent cooling.

I have a Noctua NH-D14 and Corsair Dominator GT memory. The Memory fan can be adjusted to fit. However you'll have to remove the heatsink off the memory module you put in the 1st slot. For 6GB I'm using slots 2,4 and 6 and I have all the memory heatsinks attached, but the module in slot 2 is touching the Noctua and I think it is heating up the memory module. I plan on breaking out the Dremel and then I'll be trimming a few of the fins on the Noctua.

Don't forget to post a few pictures when you get it setup :D

Slay, on the 920 vs 930 OC'ng, if you drop the 930 to a 21 multi, theyre suppose to oc easier.

Dark, have you double checked everything at NCIX.com - Canada's Premier Computer Store - Great Technology, Service and Selection. Eggs okay but we get screwed up here. NCIX is in BC, and ships faster, can be cheaper, might save PST, and price matches.

Slay, on the 920 vs 930 OC'ng, if you drop the 930 to a 21 multi, theyre suppose to oc easier.

Dark, have you double checked everything at NCIX.com - Canada's Premier Computer Store - Great Technology, Service and Selection. Eggs okay but we get screwed up here. NCIX is in BC, and ships faster, can be cheaper, might save PST, and price matches.

Well every cpu is different but I have had the opportunity to use both the 920 and the 930 and I tried all the different possible settings.

All right. I'm thinking of going with the CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-850HX suggestion.

I already have the Core i7-930.

For what you plan on using the computer for I would probably go ahead and get 12GB of memory (DDR3 1600). But if you do plan on overclocking the 12GB of Memory will stress the Memory Controller harder than 6GB will and it will effect the overclock unless you have excellent cooling.
I'm assuming that you're talking about overclocking the memory here. Or do you mean the 12GB of memory will somehow be stressed when the processor is overclocked? I do not plan on playing around with the memory.

I have a Noctua NH-D14 and Corsair Dominator GT memory. The Memory fan can be adjusted to fit. However you'll have to remove the heatsink off the memory module you put in the 1st slot. For 6GB I'm using slots 2,4 and 6 and I have all the memory heatsinks attached, but the module in slot 2 is touching the Noctua and I think it is heating up the memory module. I plan on breaking out the Dremel and then I'll be trimming a few of the fins on the Noctua.
If I'll have only to remove the heatsink from the memory module in the 1st slot, why are you going to shave the CPU heatsink? Will this allow you to keep the heatsink on the memory module? But your memory module is in slot 2, not slot 1. I'm a little confused. Can you please explain, and also let me know precisely what memory kit you're talking about via a link?

patonb, I'll be checking everything at NCIX shortly. What do you mean when you say we get screwed up here by [New]Egg?

Newegg in the states has free shipping, cheaper prices, and our shipping times are horrid.

It took my psu 2 weeks to come from the west coast... I'm in Ottawa, so its not a small town.

NCIX also has the advantage on no pst if outside of BC.

Hey. I've been away for a week+.

Some of my parts are here and others are on the way!

I'm wondering if any of you could answer for me a question about a SATA III connection and about a fan controller?

I hope linking to another of my threads is allowed.

Oh -- what would be best as a disk drive dock for 3.5" and 2.5" drives? USB 2.0, USB 3.0, or eSATA? I'm thinking eSATA for now based on what I've read, but please let me know. Also, do you have any suggestions for a disk drive dock?

Thanks so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom