New High Performance Rig, Feedback Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexinator

In Runtime
Okay, here;s the set up. I plan on mainly using it for gaming, but a little work as well. I want any feedback you can give me on the parts I've chosen. I was told to ditch AMD and fly with Intel, which turned out to be better considering it was only a bit more expensive but much higher performing. The new mobo tyo support the 775 Intel is also much better, and only slightly more expensive.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6600 (Will be overclockoing as much as possible).

Upgraded from (old choice):
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400+ Windsor 2.8GHz Socket AM2 Processor Model ADA5400CZBOX (Will overclock as much as possible with mobo)
--------------
MoBo: ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium/WiFi-AP LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI ATX Intel Motherboard (Supports 8GB instead of 4, had an extra slot for a physics card)

ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless Edition Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard
---------------
GFX Card: EVGA 768-P2-N835-AR GeForce 8800GTX 768MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SUPERCLOCKED HDCP Video Card. (Only one for now, but in another few months I'll buy the second one four SLI Madness)
----------------
Memory: CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400C4 (Will be buying a second set later on, Mobo supports up to 8GB)

Upgraded From (old choice):
CORSAIR XMS2 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit
----------------
PSU: SILVERSTONE ST75F ATX12V / EPS12V 750W Power Supply (Much higher in wattage, and also supports SLI 8800GTX specifically with it's 4x PCI-e connectors. Also has the very convenient modular cables.)

APEVIA ICEBERG ATX-IB680W-BL ATX12V / EPS12V 680W Power Supply
-----------------
Display: 3x NEC Display Solutions 1940WCXM Black 19" 5ms DVI Wide screen LCD Monitor (I'll be adding a 4th screen, a Sony Bravia HDTV (30+ inches), once funds are sufficient.)
-----------------
Case: Thermaltake SHARK VA7000BWA Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case. (One of thermaltakes stylish full tower cases, I plan on having alot of room in this baby. I would have more in the armor, but I don;t need THAT much I don't think...)
------------------
Cooling: Stock fans for now I guess, I want a good liquid cooling system but not sure what to buy. Obviously something without all these leak complaints in it's review (as well as all the pump failure reports).
------------------------------------------------------------

Any suggestions would be great. Right now without the extra GFX card or the extra screens, I'm running about $2,050. In the next 2 weeks I plan on buying the case, mobo, memory, proc, and the new PSU (About $1,100). I will then buy the GFX card and a new screen once funds allow, shouldn't be too long afterwards.

I'll be using the system primarily for gaming and other forms of entertainment, graphics editing with PhotoShop, and working online. The multiple screens will be helpful when working on my tech blog StealthyTech.com, one screen for a source or two, another for the blog, and a third for writing or whatever.

Thanks for the help,
-Alex

nice stup but i would suggest getting a 680i mobo since the 590 wasnt really aprecciated and didn't overclock well.

If you want SLI for sure then a 680i but the problem is SLI is quite stupid becuase in the end it doesn't cave you any money.

If you want FULL SLI go with a 680i. If you wouldn't mind 8x:8x SLI then get the new MSI 650i as it's half the price but offers the same features and better overclocking really.

If you didin't go any SLi then the P5B-E kick ***.

I think you should get a DS3, P5N-E, P5B-Deluxe, or if you want the full 16x SLI, get a 680i board.. Also you don't need support for 8GB of memory, nor do you want a physics card. Physics cards are dying and they were never very much alive to being with while your mobo will outgrow you way before you need more then 4GB of memory. Also, people don't really like the XMS2 memory.. Might want to just get some G.Skill's or something.

^^^lol^^^ XMS2 is overpriced big time. G.SKILL FTW

I didin't even know he had XMS2 in there UGGGH XMS2 FOR THE LOSS

No it's alright...but there are many better sticks out there for that price...for sure.

Yay 1000th post!

You really could still sell it at a decent price I bet you. XMS2 regardless will be bought even if we don't like it. You see how everyone picks it out in their builds until we tell them. Lol seriously you could >.<

Okay, i upgraded to the 680i and also grabbed a dual channel kit of G.SKILLs (2GB, CAS: 4-4-4-12)

New mem: G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit

New Mobo: ASUS Striker Extreme LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX The Ultimate Gaming Motherboard

I'm now at about 2200 for this whole set up, which is very high but I've been wanting a high performance computer since I was like.. 10 rofl. So the price is worthit. That tax return of about 800 will help :p

Sora said:
You really could still sell it at a decent price I bet you. XMS2 regardless will be bought even if we don't like it. You see how everyone picks it out in their builds until we tell them. Lol seriously you could >.<

haha no sh*t...
i bet i could sell them for enough for some gskill on ebay:

"like new, used for about a week... and NEVER overclocked":amazed: :rolleyes: :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom