New hardware: 3GHZ, a deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyR~

Baseband Member
I'm setting up my new system and I've come across a bump in the road. I was looking to throw in a AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz Dual Core ($169) -- its so cheap that there MUST be something I'm missing here. I don't understand how technically inferior AMD processors are selling for much more.

The rest of my system...

Video: XFX GeForce 8800GTS 640MB Memory Clock: 1900MHz--Core clock: 600MHz ($430)

Mobo:

ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe Socket AM2

Memory:
4GB G.SKILL (2 x 1GB)

So whats the verdict? How does my system rate, and is this a solid processor to stick with?

nothing wrong with it, not an oc'er, but it combats against the e6600 on the conroe line, but last weeks amd price drops made it 169

What size is your monitor, and do you think you really need 4 gb? If you're just gaming and nothing else 2gb is more than enough, I don't even use half my 2GB during windows

one of our members here has a 6000 (apokalipse) and he has it clocked to 3.5ghz. from what i understand, he is very happy with it.
i can't remember which chipset that m2n has in it...but if youare going to overclock try to get a 590.

one of our members here has a 6000 (apokalipse) and he has it clocked to 3.5ghz. from what i understand, he is very happy with it.
i can't remember which chipset that m2n has in it...but if youare going to overclock try to get a 590.
I've built a system with an M2N in it (for somebody else), and I wasn't impressed with its overclocks. My C51XEM2AA (Nforce 590) does much much better.

the only thing great about the M2N is its price, IMO

Oh yeah, I have 2GB RAM with my 6000+, and I have paging file completely disabled. I'm running XP SP2, and have absolutely no problems with running out of RAM.

I have an 8800 GTS 320MB in my system also, and it plays all games at max settings, except for maybe anti-aliasing.
With my 6000+ at 3.5GHZ, and my 8800 GTS 320MB card at 630MHZ, I break 10,200 points in 3dmark06

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom