New Graphics Cards - Page 5 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-28-2007, 07:32 PM   #41 (permalink)
krazy Techie
 
krazyq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 8,059
Default Re: New Graphics Cards

hey apol,b1,naga,sora, and everyone else.
Could you get it in frankies head that 8800gt pwns 8600gt in sli...pls?
thank you.
then we can get back to helping ppl
__________________

__________________
Intel Core i5-4670K
ASRock Z97 Anniversary
8 GB G.SKILL Ripjaws
MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
Sandisk Ultra II 960GB + Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + 2TB + 1TB WD Black
Samsung Note 8
2TB White PS4 Pro, PS3, Switch & New 3DS XL
65" LG OLED C7P
BenQ 27" XL2720Z
krazyq is offline  
Old 11-28-2007, 07:33 PM   #42 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: UK | London
Posts: 138
Default Re: New Graphics Cards

Well on paper they obviously can't match up, because an 8600GT only has 32 stream processors. Then there's the RAM issue of 256 x 2 vs. 768 MB. Honestly I could care less if one person says that their experience of SLI 8600GTs was equivalent to an Ultra, because every other thing I know goes against that -- at least when it comes to overall performance.
__________________

Jewels is offline  
Old 11-28-2007, 07:33 PM   #43 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
veg1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 19,993
Default Re: New Graphics Cards

I asked b1gapl on Pidgin:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernong1992 View Post
if u don't take my word for it, i asked who i think is one of the smartest people on this forum:

(7:03:30 PM) Vernon: b1gapl.. i know i'm not a genius in computers but doesn't an 8800ultra or a 8800gt blow away the 8600gt SLi
(7:03:55 PM) b1gapl: its a no brainer...of course
(7:04:13 PM) Vernon: i can't seem to convince Rich_Franklin of that
(7:04:33 PM) b1gapl: lol...then get many of the tech forums members to post their opinion

and he agrees.. 8800gt > 8600gt SLi by a landslide same with an 8800ultra > 8600GT SLi
i quoted him and my quote in which I quoted him...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
Well on paper they obviously can't match up, because an 8600GT only has 32 stream processors. Then there's the RAM issue of 256 x 2 vs. 768 MB. Honestly I could care less if one person says that their experience of SLI 8600GTs was equivalent to an Ultra, because every other thing I know goes against that -- at least when it comes to overall performance.
theres also a matter of the 128 bandwidth bus.. and that a lot of em use gddr2, and less amount of Stream Processor Clock and Stream Processors
__________________
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.


.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
veg1992 is offline  
Old 11-28-2007, 07:36 PM   #44 (permalink)
Super Techie
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 341
Default Re: New Graphics Cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernong1992 View Post
u want 3dmark06 scores with 8800ultras?? check the stickies.. you see how high they score.. and how low this performed...

http://www.techist.com/forums/f10/te...p-list-153414/

look for the 8800gt's and the 8800ultras.... not one of them scored under 10k except for Hunter, but his Opteron held him back some...


e6750 @ 3.4ghz
Corsair XMS2 2gb Kit
evga 680i
OCZ GameXStream...

that was the test system... similar to what my fellow Indian bro Krazyq has... but he had an e6550 but these are same speeds as that e6750...

ok... 8600gt SLi: 8713 3dmarks and this was a super clocked card.. so the generic 8600gt is slower...
8800ultra: 13,000 something 3dmarks..

last time i checked... 13000 > 8713
See how easy that was? Now I have benchmarks and facts. It's about time you had something to back up your statements on. The other people in this thread just seem to like flaming and are immature teenagers or something and didn't really help your case at all. I think it's sad that you guys get all bent out of shape when someone disagrees with you. Learn how to debate without flaming please.
__________________
Current Build:
CPU: AMD x2 3800
Case: thermaltake tsunami
Ram: 2x1gb OCZ ddr4pc3200
GPU: 7800 GT
PSU: Antec 500w
Mobo: DFI lanparty
Rich_Franklin is offline  
Old 11-28-2007, 07:37 PM   #45 (permalink)
krazy Techie
 
krazyq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 8,059
Default Re: New Graphics Cards

your the one who keeps dis agreeing, when we know the facts.
I have an ultra and i know how it performs.
I also know ppl with 8600gt setups and they dont even get close to a single 8800gt.
__________________
Intel Core i5-4670K
ASRock Z97 Anniversary
8 GB G.SKILL Ripjaws
MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
Sandisk Ultra II 960GB + Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + 2TB + 1TB WD Black
Samsung Note 8
2TB White PS4 Pro, PS3, Switch & New 3DS XL
65" LG OLED C7P
BenQ 27" XL2720Z
krazyq is offline  
Old 11-28-2007, 07:39 PM   #46 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
veg1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 19,993
Default Re: New Graphics Cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_Franklin View Post
See how easy that was? Now I have benchmarks and facts. It's about time you had something to back up your statements on. The other people in this thread just seem to like flaming and are immature teenagers or something and didn't really help your case at all. I think it's sad that you guys get all bent out of shape when someone disagrees with you. Learn how to debate without flaming please.
i said this almost an 2 hours ago....


Quote:
Originally Posted by vernong1992 View Post
like it matters.. an 8800ultra scores 13k+ with that system probably:

this was its specs:

e6750 @ 3.4ghz
Corsair XMS2 2gb Kit
evga 680i
OCZ GameXStream...

etc etc

the rest doesn't matter.. because its just like Krazyq's system... except for the RAM and board... which wouldn't affect the score too much...

and since they are around the same and Krazyq has an 8800ultra... his scores around 14k..
and i've just proved that two 8600gt doesn't beat or even come close to beating an Ultra

Don't believe me?
also.. the 8800ultra performs about 2x faster (maybe more) than the 8600gt, and SLi doesn't double performance.. making it impossible to match or even beat an 8800ultra
i just paraphrased it... u still said.. no benchmarks and all that B.S.
__________________
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.


.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
veg1992 is offline  
Old 11-28-2007, 07:40 PM   #47 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: UK | London
Posts: 138
Default Re: New Graphics Cards

There was nothing to debate; you just refused to accept facts. Perhaps the aggression in attempting to shove the fact down your throat was not as acceptable as other methods one would prefer, but understandably to certain people, the fact that an Ultra beats SLI 8600 GTs is like knowing 2 plus 2 equals 4.

Edit: Perhaps now you might consider what caused your former Ultra to be seemingly defeated by your 8600GT SLI setup.
Jewels is offline  
Old 11-28-2007, 07:48 PM   #48 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,151
Send a message via AIM to Deathawk Send a message via Yahoo to Deathawk
Default Re: New Graphics Cards

lol, rich franklin is funny

+1 for him.
__________________
Deathawk is offline  
Old 11-28-2007, 08:05 PM   #49 (permalink)
krazy Techie
 
krazyq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 8,059
Default Re: New Graphics Cards

maybe this should go in the hall of shame...
__________________
Intel Core i5-4670K
ASRock Z97 Anniversary
8 GB G.SKILL Ripjaws
MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
Sandisk Ultra II 960GB + Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + 2TB + 1TB WD Black
Samsung Note 8
2TB White PS4 Pro, PS3, Switch & New 3DS XL
65" LG OLED C7P
BenQ 27" XL2720Z
krazyq is offline  
Old 11-28-2007, 09:50 PM   #50 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
macdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 813
Default Re: New Graphics Cards

This whole discussion is quite hilarious.

SLI adds 40% on average in games which support it.

On Toms hardware vga charts I'll compare an 8800ultra to an 8600gt & gts.

Dark Mesiah on highest settings - ultra = 45.5fps, 8600gt = 9.1, 8600gts = 9.5

Doom 3 all high - ultra = 121, gts = 36.6, gt = 30.2

Oblivion on high - ultra = 30.5, gt = 7, gts = 8.6

3dmark06 sm2 @ 1024x768 - ultra = 5772, gt = 2433, gts = 2983

Vernongs theory that SLI at best adds 40% yet the ultra is twice as fast is actually an understatement. Its more like 3-5 times faster.

I know before you say it, I never owned 8600's in SLI but a 30 second benchmark search could prevent pages of bs discussion.
__________________

macdawg is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
who makes graphics cards atopork Web Graphics and Design 9 09-23-2007 04:16 PM
Graphics Cards? M0rga Laptops and Notebooks 10 09-03-2007 11:35 AM
Dual graphics cards ChiliPalmer New Systems | Building and Buying 3 07-27-2007 04:27 PM
Graphics Cards AZNRockThis Buy/Sell/Trade and Hot Deals 0 04-14-2007 01:22 AM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.