New graphics card in and old computer. Not working plz help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

onyo

In Runtime
I recently purchased a new video card (MSI Radeon HD5670 512MB) for my 5-year-old system. I made sure to research that the product I was buying would be compatible in my PC. The power supply should be sufficient, the card fits snug in the backwards compatible PCI-E x16 expansion slot, I was also very careful with installation itself.

After installing the card and powering on the computer, the card's fan spins but the monitor stays black (like in sleep mode).

Other than a dead card, what are some other things that could be causing this problem? I saw something while searching the web about a Gigabyte BIOS update for pci-e 2.1 cards, but its 'use at your own risk' and the update isn't posted on Gigabyte's website so I'm a bit hesitant on downloading it.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!!!

My system specs are-->
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 (rev. 1.x)
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 2.2GHz
GPU: VisionTek Radeon x1550 256MB DDR2
RAM: 2x 512mb Kingston & 2x 512mb Patriot both PC3200 DDR SDRAM
HDD: 160GB Western Digital / 33GB Free
PSU: Thermaltake PurePower Butterfly 480 Watt Power Supply

^Exactly. If you are replacing a graphics card be sure to uninstall the old drivers first. If you are upgrading from onboard graphics be sure to disable them.

ok so all i have to do is remove that circular watch-battery looking thing for a few seconds then try it again with the new card?

by the way i currently have Radeon x1550 VisionTek gfx card

I was going to Q-Flash the BIOS but it asks me for a floppy disk. I dont have any floppy's, is there any way to set it so I can load the BIOS off of a USB drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom