New Gaming/Work Rig - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 03:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: New Gaming/Work Rig

Sweet, then i guess thats a pretty complete build. I wont need to much power after the system is built since i wont ever open it up to add/remove anything. But 850W is pretty nice since it can account for everything. Clocking in at $2072 before tax thats not bad at all. Thank you for a build

Old 06-23-2009, 03:41 PM   #12 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

\_(ツ)_/

Yeah, it sucks having to pay taxes when ordering from NewEgg. Don't get me wrong... I like that they have a warehouse in Tennessee, but I sort of wish they would have put it in Georgia or something...

My Rig: SABLE
Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / ASUS GeForce GTX 960 GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB
2x4GB DDR3 1600 - 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win10 Ent 64-bit - Mionix Naos 7000 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Old 06-23-2009, 03:42 PM   #13 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

^ Nooooooo, don't do it Newegg haha

Do they still charge you taxes if the package isn't coming from the state you are in, ie, like if something is coming from NJ.
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.

.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
Old 06-23-2009, 03:46 PM   #14 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Yea, its nice i get stuff in 2 days time, But i hate paying the taxes for stuff. I agree the warehouse could be in Georgia and not TN. Now the unpelasent part of building a computer..building it. I hate giving up a day to build a PC.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:47 PM   #15 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Quote:
Originally Posted by traeno View Post
Yea, its nice i get stuff in 2 days time, But i hate paying the taxes for stuff. I agree the warehouse could be in Georgia and not TN. Now the unpelasent part of building a computer..building it. I hate giving up a day to build a PC.
Really a day?

I think it takes like 10 minutes (assuming everything goes perfectly well), but then again you are on the Intel side, so the push pins might give a little trouble.
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.

.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
Old 06-23-2009, 03:53 PM   #16 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I'm slow at building machines, cause im so perfect about everything. Its a drawback of mine. The last machine i built i spent 6 - 7 hours building and hiding cables and tieing stuff down. It looks nice when im done...but why i feel the need to do that ill never know. If someone hands me a built machine im not that way.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:09 PM   #17 (permalink)
muffin enthusiast

nah, it cant be that unpleasant. building it yourself gives you a feeling of satisfaction. you build this machine, and when you finally turn it on, it works? at least for me, i feel some sense of satisfaction.

ive never really built a pc from the ground up. ive only bought a handful of parts and installed them (psu, hdds, gpu) and ive taken some old pc's apart to clean em an put em back together. nd everytime, i am pleased when it turns on and everything just works.

is it maybe that youve just built so many pc's that you're just tired of it?

edit: also, hiding cables isnt just aesthetically pleasing, it improves airflow so besides having a clean look, it has functionality.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:22 PM   #18 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I have most likely just built to many PC's in my life time to be honest. I think I'm in the area of 200 machines built from the ground up and I'm only 29. I am proud when it turns on tho, and I'm very proud of how nice it is on the inside when I'm done. I'm just OCD on it i think. It has to be perfect before i put the side case on. Altho in defense once i build a machine i dont get inside of it unless i have to. Meaning something died since i don't ever upgrade parts.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:26 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master Techie

If you have a Microcenter near you check them out. They usually have the i7 920 for $200-$230 so you might save a little bit.

And one thing to check is make sure the heatsink will fit that mobo. I forgot about that and some big heatsinks have clearance issues on some motherboards.

And I'm the exact opposite with computers. I build cheap and upgrade fairly often. I also mess around with things a lot. I actually don't even have my side panel on because I've benn messing around with the components so often lately
Old 06-23-2009, 04:32 PM   #20 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Erm that concerns me about the heatsink issue. I guess ill do a little research after i get home and figure out if itll work in that motherboard. I can tell by looking at the case that everything will fit so thats not a issue at least. I use to leave my case open until a dog did his duty on a $2000 build =\ Doggy got a new home the next day.

Closed Thread