New gaming/work computer - Need some advice on the build - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 09-16-2011, 08:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default New gaming/work computer - Need some advice on the build

I am in the midst of building a new rig. I currently have the following:

i7 2600 (non K) processor
NZXT Phantom full case
Rosewill 650 watt modular power supply
LG Blue-Ray drive
I will need everything else – I’m selling all my old goodies and replacing them with new ones.

This build is specifically for BF3 and Morrowind Skyrim. I also do web design, photo editing, and some light programming (so basically the entire CS5 suite). So it will be a work PC also.

With all that said, I have about $1100 to spend. I’m thinking that the biggest portion of that should go towards graphics and power supply. The graphics portion of that is my biggest struggle right now. I am more leaning towards single-card solution verses SLI or Crossfire. I have entertained the idea of getting a 6990, but the cost is certainly going to cut into the other components of my build. Usually this is the point where I would list what I have put together thus far, but I think instead I would like to hear what other people has to say – pump some reason and sanity in this for me.

So a short list of non-specific needs:

1 to 2 terabyte HD 64 MB Cache
Z68 OR P67 motherboard - is Intel Smart Response Technology worth it? I might save a few bucks and just get a P67.
Not worried about a sound card
SSD – if I go the Z68 route. Not too worried about it otherwise
Ram – Probably leaning to the middle-of-the-road 1600
Graphics card – this is the main question

Actually, this is what I put together this morning: - GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD4-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive - OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTX40G 2.5" 40GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - SAPPHIRE 100310SR Radeon HD 6990 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

That puts be about $17.00 over budget and I still need a 750 to 800 watt power supply.
Closed Thread