New Gaming System...Need Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brew_WY

In Runtime
Looking for some guidance with a new build. Everything listed is more or less a first pass searching new egg and tech forums looking at other suggestions. If you see something that isn't compatible or you know of a better product for +/- $150 dollars (maybe more depending on which component) please provide me with a link and explain to me why it is better than what I am currently looking at. The primary goal of my system will be for running Age of Conan maxed at 1920x1200.It will also perform some other minor graphic editing and AutoCAD functions as well. Some of the parts I have, I am considering 2 options as of now so please make comments/suggestions.

Finally the list.

Case: Antec-P182 Currently running one and love it.
PSU: Antec-TPQ1000
I can purchase both above items in a "combo deal" for $320.
GPU: Asus-ENGTX280 or 2 XFX GeForce 9800 GTX in SLI
I am leaning toward the GTX280 because its a newer board and I
could always buy a second one later and run them in SLI. My current
system is an ATI so if they have something better in the works let
me know. One other note is that I might run dual monitors in the future.
To my understanding that isn't possible with SLI correct?
CPU: Intel Q6600 2.4GHz This is what I was considering I have read quite a
bit, saying the a dual-core can be OC'd to out perform some(most?)
quads. Some more expert advice is welcomed here. Also this build is a
month to two months out, so if there is better technology coming out
soon please let me know so I can wait (if $ would make it worth
while). Also more than willing to consider AMD platform.
RAM: OCZ DDR3-1600, OCZ DDR3-1800 or OCZ DDR3-2000
Please explain why I should go with one or none of these. I was
planning on the DDR3-2000 because it had better timing than the 1600 and
a little better than the 1800. Maybe I should OC something else though. You tell me :D
HDD: Seagate 500GB Maybe run two of these, one for back up. (The geek
in me wants to have a TB)
MOBO: I have no idea what I should run so please make some suggestions.
I would like to stay in the $100-$250ish range.
HS: I am running a Thermaltake Big Typhoon on my current system with
no complaints. But please suggest what you feel would be best for
your recommended CPU.
Optcl: Asus DVD/CD and Samsung DVD Burner
Monitor: Sceptre 24"
Spkrs: Logitech 2.1 Because its what I like ;)

If I missed anything major please let me know. Thanks in advance for everyone's help with this.

I would scrap most of that system, get an X48 chipset motherboard, like the Asus Rampage Formula, then either grab 2x 4850's in Crossfire, or wait for the 4870X2. The 4850's are outperforming the 9800GTX.

You never really mentioned a maximum budget, but if you can afford it, I would grab a Q9450 45nm quad-core. It will overclock cooler and better than the Q6600.

If you want SLI and DDR3 RAM, the mobo will cost over $300

Newegg.com - EVGA 132-CK-NF79-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 790i Ultra SLI DDR3 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

$350 for that board

DDR3 is overpriced right now, and you're wrong...the DDR-2000 has worse timings than the DDR-1600--lower is better

Thanks for correcting me. I'll look up some more information on memory so I get a better understanding.

I would scrap most of that system, get an X48 chipset motherboard, like the Asus Rampage Formula, then either grab 2x 4850's in Crossfire, or wait for the 4870X2. The 4850's are outperforming the 9800GTX.

You never really mentioned a maximum budget, but if you can afford it, I would grab a Q9450 45nm quad-core. It will overclock cooler and better than the Q6600.

How will/do the 4870/4850 compare to the GTX280? And thanks for the suggestion on the CPU and MOBO I will look in to both.

dont get ddr3, it does not really outperform ddr2 and is 3-4 times more expensive.

Thanks for helping me watch the budget. I havn't really set a max price on the system, but I still want to save money in places where I can as long as it
wont hurt performance. Do you(anyone) have suggestions for some DDR2 ram?

Thanks for the help so far guys!

Start with that PSU, with that rig you'd be fine with a Corsair 750tx or 650tx from Buy.com

Agreed with everybody about scrapping DDR3, that 790i Ultra and the GTX280

and HD 4870X2, a good 4gb DDR2 Kit, and an Biostar Tpower p45 or an Asus P5Q Pro is sufficient for your rig or GTX260

Alright here are my revised selections (feel free to post your comments):

CPU: Intel-Q9550 or a Q9450 if the price doesn't drop while waiting for......

GPU: ATI-HD4870x2 When ever its released

MoBo: Asus Rampage I read some mixed reviews on the boards mentioned
and this one isn't much more expensive.

RAM: Corsair Dom-DDR2-1066, G.Skill-DDR2-1100, Corsair Dom-DDR2-1142
I am not overly confident in any of these selections so some advice
would still be appreciated. Even some links to your suggestions.

PSU: Corsair 750Tx

I won't necessarily buy everything from Newegg. But its the most convenient for listing hardware. Let me know what I did right and wrong with my revisions. Thanks.

q9450 is not a better overclocker than the q6600. You need to know your shiznit when your ocing a quad 500+ and beyond and alittle bit of luck

So would an overclocked Q6600 perform better than a Q9(5/4)50? If so I understand how to OC(and the risks), but I have never tried to do it on my current system. And what about the memory I selected. Would the G.Skill be good in this system or should I run something else (please provide a link)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom