New Gaming Rig

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 5200X2 will run @ 3.2 with a cheap cooling system upgrade and while the E6600 will outperform it slightly at equal speed not by enough to justify a $70 to $100 dollar difference in price

I think your one of the biggest AMD fanboys here !!!

First of all, E6600 is more overclockable that 5200+

Second of all, if you want him to save money then he can get E4300 and overclock it to 3.2GHz.

Remember that C2D is much better at overclocking

C2D consume much less power

C2D completely destroy AMD at the same speed

E6700 has slower clock speed than 6000+ and it outperforms 6000+. So, I assume that C2D would completely destroy AMD when it is running at the same speed.

Those are facts.......

Option 1
MSI Mobo - 166.99
Intel Core 2 e6600 - 235.00
Total: 402
Price Difference: 92.00
Advantages: Can be overclocked fairly high.
Disadvantages: Replace stock cooler, low stock clock speed.

Disadvantage "low stock clock speed" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! can you explain why you think that this is a disadvantage ?

This is not disadvantage my friend. Core 2 duo can do more instructions per clock speed, so this means that E6600 at low clock speed can outperform the higher clock speed 5600+.

lol i thought i was the biggest amd fanboy here...rats.
first:
a few fps in a gaming benchmark does not = destroy. 75fps = destroy.
second:
my friend, i believe it is you who are wrong about power consumption. also, note that i stated "idle power consumption", and yes, the 5600 is lower. may have something to do with cool and quiet, i suppose.
third:
i dont know how you figure c2d consumes "much less power" when i am running a brisbane 3600 at 3ghz on 1.3v? explain? the windsors, yes...they consume more and run a little hotter. be specific. does an e6300/4300 always run at a 60% overclock on stock volts? i realize that different people have different results.
fourth:
as i stated previously, amd -almost- always outperforms the comprable c2d at cinebench. and 3dmark06 (i havent noticed this, though) it outperforms the cpu test (pretty tough benchmark?).
fifth:
bringing up my brisbane again, i can clock it to 3ghz with a (supposedly) crappy abit nf4 ultra. roughly like clocking an e4300 to say, 2.7.
it costs half as much. with a little loss of performance, i do admit that...but...
half as much = good.
sixth:
i do agree that running at the same clock speed, c2d typically outpaces its x2counterpart. but it doesnt demolish completely in every way as you are professing. sorry.

Heh it's pretty much an easy choice.

Either get a Brisbane and an 80 buck board and OC to somewhere around 3.0ghz for not too much and game or buy a C2D 6 series or above and OC it for about 130 bucks more for higher performance.

actually, when i said "the same" i meant clock speed. hence, the "basically".
i dont think that cache size matters on an amd, certainly not like it does with the intels. it makes a difference, to be sure...but not a major difference.
in any event, i have a brisbane chip with the 512x2 L2 cache. the windsor 3600 is the one with 256x2(open mouth, insert foot). so, yeah...its "basically" the "same" as a 6000, with half the cache. for hmmmmm...170 dollars less. how much is cache worth? not that much, patnah.
p.s. punctuation.

I had a 4600X2 in my pc and o.c.'d it to 2.8 my 5200X2 @ 2.8 scores a 3dmark06 of 10,051 with my single gts my 4600X2 @ the same speed only hit 8945 think the caches make more difference than you guys think 1106 points on 3dmark06 is no slight increase.

Not an amd fanboy and admit if I had an endless bankroll than I would have an intel quad core and 2-8800gtx's.I very recently bought a pc and did extensive research into performance PER DOLLAR.When my homework was done AMD came out on top. Core 2 duo is a monster cpu I know this.But my AMD 5200X2 @ 2.9 for $169.00 on a board that was $65 cheaper.My benchmarks literally stand up to intel systems costing about $130 more and this is on stock cooling.This is the only point I'm trying to make.Everyone bashes me This is my first AMD system lol.
Old specs P4 hyper threading @ 3.0
Ati 9600Xt agp 8X
2gigs 2X1gig dual channel
Was a great P.C. ran my 19 inch lcd and will still play C.O.D.2 but gotta lower the settings.:eek:

Your right per dollar even when both are overclocked AMD is the best buck per performance. However...there are times where you just want more power and the only way you can get it is by not getting such as good performance per buck.

This holds true with the AMD's and Intel.

Intel's can be overclocked to 3.5ghz and someone who doesn't have a very tight budget is going to want this if they are using an 8800GTX and want the max performance.

it just comes down to the person and the situation really.

I had a 4600X2 in my pc and o.c.'d it to 2.8 my 5200X2 @ 2.8 scores a 3dmark06 of 10,051 with my single gts my 4600X2 @ the same speed only hit 8945 think the caches make more difference than you guys think 1106 points on 3dmark06 is no slight increase.

my 4200 ocd to 2.75 with my 7900gs was in the mid 8,000's.
this 3600 oc'd to 2.9 with same vid card and everything is over 9000.
although, i do have the ht voltage bumped from 1.2 to 1.25...so i can run ht link at speed of about 1200. this seems to have an impact (a couple of seconds) on its super pi time and 3dmark (a couple hundred points). of course, my 4200 has the same cache as this 3600, so i cannot really argue with your statement...you've had chips with different cache sizes. i can see how the cache would make a difference as well, but really the point i was making was that cache size in amd chips is not nearly as important (performance wise) as it is with intel.
p.s. i am not bashing you i am an amd fanboy too lol.
and p.s.p.s. my scores are in 3dm05, not 06. yargh. im guessin that gts is one **** of a card...or are you talkin bout 05 as well?

We're not saying it doesn't help at all....(even if 1000 points seems like a bit much for any CPU to just do alone in 06) but it's just that AMD's X2's don't need as much as Intels do for good performance.

I love my eVGA 8800gts 640,this card O.C.'s like mad the gpu is stock at 500MHz but mine runs smooth at 640 the Ram comes stock @ 800MHz(1600 effective) Have mine running @ 1066 (2132 effective) Just used N-tune it did pretty much everything for me. Oh and I was talking about Mark06 not Mark05 Futuremark - ORB - Result Analyzer

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom