New Gaming comp build - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2013, 03:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
Build Guru

Default Re: New Gaming comp build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runfox View Post
Thanks for the input guys,I'm trying to be patient and do my research, cause the money is in the bank, and I can place the order anytime. Been waiting for this build for years.
So My definite choices so far are:
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz
GPU: GIGABYTE GV-N670OC-2GD GeForce GTX 670 , This could be any brand, but a 670 is the choice.
MB: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155, this has to be a Z77 board, and this board seams to get a lot of votes
Those I'm set on, I guess you all are right on the memory, 8gigs will do.
So here are my choices open for suggestions:
Mem: G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
PS: Rosewill HIVE Series HIVE-650 650W Continuous @40įC, 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified, Modular Design
CPU Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO
SSD: Corsair Force Series GT CSSD-F180GBGT-BK 2.5" 180GB SATA III, I want more than 120gig , was looking at 220.
Backup storage: Seagate ST310005N1A1AS-RK 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

One more question. I want a second Monitor besides my 24" Dell, a larger one.
SO is it worth considering a 30* LCD TV or wait for a 27" Monitor to come one sale for under $300?
Wouldn't get the Rosewill PSU. Not kidding when I say Corsair TX/AX or Seasonic. They make the best, I recommend the best as it is the most underrated part in a build.

Any Force GT is good. The bigger you go the faster they get.

TVs are crap for a good rig like this. I would look at a nicer 27" but only get one if it is 1440p. 1080p on anything over 24" can look like crap due to a bigger stretched image at 2ft. Some people can deal with it, but after staring at a 2048x1152 23" monitor for a few years even going to a 24" 1920x1200 monitor was kinda hard for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narpuppy View Post
A quick reply about the phantom 410 case, when shopping on newegg look for green text that says something about a promo code. You can enter that promo code and save money in your checkout list. I'm about to buy the white 410 phantom case and I also posted a thread earlier today about the build I'm getting. Getting to the point the white and the black 410 phantom cases have a 20 dollar off promo code and the gun metal one doesn't right now so you will pay 5 dollars extra for the gun metal one.
White one: Newegg.com - NZXT Phantom 410 CA-PH410-B1 White Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Black one: Newegg.com - NZXT Phantom 410 CA-PH410-B1 Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
I have not yet used one of these cases but they look high quality and have good reviews, just thought I would help you out if you want to save 5 bucks.
Note that the codes end on 1/30

Good luck on your build!
The Phantom cases have 2 problems in my experience with them. The screw holes are terrible (can strip easy) and they require the proprietary 200mm NZXT case fan.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
True Techie

OK Power supply This looks like a good choice, both on New Egg: : CORSAIR CX600M 600W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply . I really want modular to avoid all the extra cable mess.
And this is a good choice: SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Graphics card: This one, EVGA 02G-P4-2670-KR GeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
or This one: GIGABYTE GV-N670OC-2GD GeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card .
Comments?

Runfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

All parts are great, but go with the Corsair 600W and the EVGA card. Both the cards are the same, obviously except they're different brands, maybe a little base/boost clock difference, I really don't know, they're the same so go with whatever cards cheapest, but I'd go with the EVGA.
Edit: Mguire may I ask why the Seasonic?
MrTechProWannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
Build Guru

Seasonic PSU and eVGA card.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:39 PM   #15 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Hello I am new here. I am wanting to build a computer I am a novice but trying to obtain the knowledge to do so. Will this build be what I am a for? I just want something to play my games at maxed settings. Sound maybe 7.1 and Blue Ray?
thehandsomeone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:31 PM   #16 (permalink)
True Techie

thehandsomeone unless you got some money this build is pretty high end, , Im at 1400.00 so far adding up, pretty much just the computer, no extras. If you want to build a decent gaming computer,you could do so say $700.00,or so. do some reading on Tomshardware.com. Look up System Builders marathons and look at some of the builds they put together for different prices as a starting point for research. Then you can see which parts work well together for a certain price point. Thats what I did. Then once you have a ball park budget, and parts choices you can post here for some final advice and tweeking.
Runfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:37 PM   #17 (permalink)
Build Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runfox View Post
thehandsomeone unless you got some money this build is pretty high end, , Im at 1400.00 so far adding up, pretty much just the computer, no extras. If you want to build a decent gaming computer,you could do so say $700.00,or so. do some reading on Tomshardware.com. Look up System Builders marathons and look at some of the builds they put together for different prices as a starting point for research. Then you can see which parts work well together for a certain price point. Thats what I did. Then once you have a ball park budget, and parts choices you can post here for some final advice and tweeking.
Already posted in his thread of a budget of 1200.

Access to my Plex PM me.