New Gaming comp build

Runfox

In Runtime
After many months of researching and wishing ,i finally have the money for my build. I Chooses these parts like Aug of 2012, but it still looks like the best choice. This is my first build in like 8 years , so I am looking to build a high end gaming rig.

This is based on Toms Hardware System builders Marathons and their tests
I have this on my NewEgg wish list, so I will likely buy it all there, prices have come down some since last year.

CPU: ntel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000
GPU: GIGABYTE GV-N670OC-2GD GeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
MB: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9Q-16GBRL
Power supply: OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandybridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom
Main drive: Mushkin Enhanced Chronos MKNSSDCR240GB 2.5" 240GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Then back up drive, cpu cooler and case to be yet determined.

looking at this CPU cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible with Intel 1366/1155/775 and AMD FM1/FM2/AM3+

For a case Im looking for cool and quiet, Im over looks and lights: COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case .

Lets me know what you all think, one item Im not sure is power supply right and do I have the room in the case for that CPU cooler???

Seems alright, my only criticism would be the 16GB RAM. I had to learn this the hard way but, some people generally have really expensive parts in their computer, not because they need it but simply because they can have it. These days 8GB of RAM will do you Fine, unless you truly want a 16GB of RAM, Then who am I to and try pursuade you, but whatever your computers usage, I promie you an 8GB will be just Fine. You don't necessarily need a 700W PSU either, a 600 Watt PSU will be just as good too, but I personally wouldn't exceed a 650W even if I had a big budget to play with, generally as because you don't typically need a big PSU. Unless you have some Fancy huge extreme rig etc. Case suggestions.. Have a look at the Corsair Carbide or the Coolermaster series cases, I can't really recommend or link one seeing as there's not a budget to work with, but depending on how much you're wanting to spend, and if you're all For Fancy looks or overall performance, The Case brand doesn't generally matter. I don't have one but I can tell you that Full Tower cases are absolutely huge. You realistically will only need a Mid Tower case. Also, I noticed that you didn't pick out a HDD, If you're waiting to hear on suggestions before you pick one out, given your 240GB SSD which to be honest is huge, you realistically shouldn't need more than 1TB. Also, one thing that I've newly discovered is that Palit brand GeForce GPU's are generally a lot lot cheaper than EVGA/Gigabyte branded ones, They have the exact same Cores etc, and I don't know enough to tell you the exact difference, but the probable difference between the two bands is that, EVGA is a well-branded company so they tend to get a lot more business, meaning they can up the price, and I doubt that there would be a massive, if any at all change in GPU performance between the brands.
If you want, edit your post and write down the budget you have For your computer, I'm sure there's a Few better parts you can switch out, obviously taking the budget into account though, and have you thought about a Water cooling system? But before I spend that kind of money I always consider all options and get as much Feedback as possible.

Last edited:
OK Budget would be about $1000.00 with some room to spare. For a case I want cool and quiet, my first build I went for lights and windows, I'm all over that now. I am looking for a Mid tower case. My current computer my son built has an Antec Mid Tower case with the insulation, and rubber grommets for the HDs and all that. Its very quiet. . My eye candy will be my video graphics.
As for my SSD, I picked 220gb because that what I had used on my main drive for space. 120 gb SSDs are cheaper, but I want the space for games .
Although I don't plan on overclocking, or water cooling, as with the speed of this build I should not need to, I wanted to have the option to overclock later if I wanted to , hence the I5-3570K unlocked CPU.

As for Memory I guess 8gig is fine, I was just thinking that while I have the money I don't want to short myself something I may wish I would have gotten later.

Yeah I know what you mean, but whether you wan't to take it From me or an actual expert, 8GB will give you more than enough memory. And even if For some reason you need more, you can always upgrade in a Few years. For $1000 You can certainly get a pretty decent rig, I'll look on Newegg and see if I can piece together something similar, if possible better.

Intel i5 3570 Ivy Bridge CPU = 215 Dollars
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116504

ASRock B75 PRO3 Motherboard = 75 Dollars
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157329

EVGA 2GB GeForce GTX 660Ti Superclocked GPU = 310 Dollars
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130810

Corsair 8GB (2 x 4GB) RAM = 40 Dollars
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233335

Corsair 600W PSU (Builder Series) 80+ Bronze PSU = 70 Dollars
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028

Seagate 1TB Hard Drive = 80 Dollars
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148840

Intel 330 120GB SSD = 125 Dollars
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167121

Windows 7 Home Premium = 100 Dollars
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116986

NZXT Phantom 410 Mid Tower Gaming Case = 85 Dollars
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146093

Total cost, after all shipping costs is pretty much dead on 1060 USD. I know that's more than a little over budget and to be honest at the moment I'm Feeling like an idiot. But if you wanted you could drop to a 500GB HD and lower to a 64GB SSD. That's what I'm going to be doing on my build, which realistically 564GB Total should be enough, and it would also bring the Total down to around 1000 Dollars. Note that I didn't chose the Intel i5 3570k Because the only benefits I could see on the Newegg compare list was that the 3570k Has an Integrated Memory Speed Controller and has 4000 HD Integrated Graphics instead of 2500, but since you're getting a GPU it really doesn't matter, so you can save yourself the extra 15 Dollars. I'd recommend that case as it certainly looks the deal, To my knowledge you can get that case in White too, however it's also packed with Features such as USB 3.0 and all that good stuff, it's also TomsHardware approved. Didn't have enough budget For the GeForce GTX 670, however the 660Ti Superclocked is still an amazing GPU. Newegg done a test/review on the 650Ti, The 660, The 660Ti and the 670 in the same video, and played various games in Max/ultra settings. And obviously there's a big difference between the 670 and 660Ti, but For gaming and FPS, in games such as Farcry, Battlefield and Crysis 3 The overall performance and FPS difference between the two wasn't that much, considering the 100+ Dollar price difference. With the 660Ti on highest/max settings on all the games he tested the 660Ti remained relatively cool(Temperature-wise) and maintained a good 35+FPS in some of the very demanding action scenes.

Last edited:
Before I start, I'm not that much expert so you might want to wait for confirmation from someone like PP Mguire, I'm talking purely out of experience.
What resolution do you use?
To OP, if you don't think you're gonna OC, I think Techprowannabe's build is solid except I'd go for the 670 over the 660 Ti if you're a fan of using 4X AA and higher ( heck, we are all fans of that! ). The 660 Ti has sort of bandwith problems when it comes to high resolutions and high levels of AA. Also, if you're planning on SLI'ing another 660Ti/670 ( depending on your choice ), I'd pick the Z77 over the B75 since the B75 doesn't support SLI. I wouldn't pick the B75 over the Z77 for crossfire either, although it supports it, the second PCIe is PCie 2.0 @ x4, which will be bandwith limiting a bit too much in my opinion.
Btw, you don't need a 700W for a single GPU solution at all, a 600W is more than enough for a single card, if you're gonna go SLI/Crossfire then you can go for a Corsair 750W. I'm not sure about that OCZ PSU, so it's better to be safe than sorry and pick a PSU from a reputable brand like Corsair.
tl;dr :
Overclock + SLI/Crossfire ( or even if you're not gonna overclock ). --> 700W/750W Corsair PSU ( steer away from that OCZ as some people say it isn't very good, better be safe than sorry ) + 8GB RAM + Z77 Board + 3570k + GTX 670 ( and you could probably add another one in the future considering you'll SLI ). In this case I picked the 3570k since it isn't expensive from a normal 3570, and you need a good Z77 board for SLI/Crossfire, like the one you picked.
Overclocking only --> Corsair CX 600W + 8 GB RAM + Z77 board + 3570k + GTX 670 ( if you can go for it I'd recommend it, if not go for the 660 Ti you'll be satisfied )

Before I start, I'm not that much expert so you might want to wait for confirmation from someone like PP Mguire, I'm talking purely out of experience.
What resolution do you use?
To OP, if you don't think you're gonna OC, I think Techprowannabe's build is solid except I'd go for the 670 over the 660 Ti if you're a fan of using 4X AA and higher ( heck, we are all fans of that! ). The 660 Ti has sort of bandwith problems when it comes to high resolutions and high levels of AA. Also, if you're planning on SLI'ing another 660Ti/670 ( depending on your choice ), I'd pick the Z77 over the B75 since the B75 doesn't support SLI. I wouldn't pick the B75 over the Z77 for crossfire either, although it supports it, the second PCIe is PCie 2.0 @ x4, which will be bandwith limiting a bit too much in my opinion.
Btw, you don't need a 700W for a single GPU solution at all, a 600W is more than enough for a single card, if you're gonna go SLI/Crossfire then you can go for a Corsair 750W. I'm not sure about that OCZ PSU, so it's better to be safe than sorry and pick a PSU from a reputable brand like Corsair.
tl;dr :
Overclock + SLI/Crossfire ( or even if you're not gonna overclock ). --> 700W/750W Corsair PSU ( steer away from that OCZ as some people say it isn't very good, better be safe than sorry ) + 8GB RAM + Z77 Board + 3570k + GTX 670 ( and you could probably add another one in the future considering you'll SLI ). In this case I picked the 3570k since it isn't expensive from a normal 3570, and you need a good Z77 board for SLI/Crossfire, like the one you picked.
Overclocking only --> Corsair CX 600W + 8 GB RAM + Z77 board + 3570k + GTX 670 ( if you can go for it I'd recommend it, if not go for the 660 Ti you'll be satisfied )
^ Except if I were him I wouldn't go down the SLI path, I'd stick to having one good solid card. I was watching a video From TinyTomLogan's Forums and watched a video of his SLI GTX 690 review etc, and this may or may not make sense to you as at First it didn't me but sometimes having an SLI setup actually runs worse on some games than just having the same card but single instead of SLI. I don't really know a whole lot about Motherboard's so, go with which ever one's the cheapest but still offers all the same Features I guess. The 670 is without a doubt a badass of a GPU, however like Skorpian said if you're also wanting a good sturdy well-rounded PC Then don't downgrade other parts so you have enough to buy the 670, The 660Ti is still a beast D:

Last edited:
A GTX 690 is two scaled-down GTX 680's in SLI mode AFAIK. It's better to SLI two GTX 680's if you have a mobo capable of that instead of getting a GTX 690. The GTX 690 is also way overkill for 1080p resolution.
The 660Ti is still a beast of course. I'd get a 670 over it if I can tho.
If he's neither overclocking nor SLI'ing, then he can go for --> i5 3450/3470/3550/3570 ( whichever is the cheapest, minimal difference between them I believe ) - B75 board - 8 GB RAM ( 2x4 GB 1600 MHz ) - GTX 670 - Corsair CX 600W which will be more than enough for his needs.

After many months of researching and wishing ,i finally have the money for my build. I Chooses these parts like Aug of 2012, but it still looks like the best choice. This is my first build in like 8 years , so I am looking to build a high end gaming rig.

This is based on Toms Hardware System builders Marathons and their tests
I have this on my NewEgg wish list, so I will likely buy it all there, prices have come down some since last year.

CPU: ntel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000
GPU: GIGABYTE GV-N670OC-2GD GeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
MB: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9Q-16GBRL
Power supply: OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandybridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom
Main drive: Mushkin Enhanced Chronos MKNSSDCR240GB 2.5" 240GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Then back up drive, cpu cooler and case to be yet determined.

looking at this CPU cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible with Intel 1366/1155/775 and AMD FM1/FM2/AM3+

For a case Im looking for cool and quiet, Im over looks and lights: COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case .

Lets me know what you all think, one item Im not sure is power supply right and do I have the room in the case for that CPU cooler???
I would stil to your build and change out a few things.

8GB of RAM, as 16 isn't needed.
Change out the junk SSD for a Samsung, Intel, or my latest a Corsair Force GT or Neutron GTX.
I would also swap out that Gigabyte card for an eVGA.
Most importantly, can't stress this enough, change out the crap OCZ PSU to a Corsair TX/AX or a Seasonic. You don't need anymore than 650w.

The rest I'm ok with and would suggest keeping.

As far as the case goes I would recommend something like the 300r.
For storage I would go with a 1TB Seagate Barracuda.
And I wouldn't get an aftermarket heatsink until you want to overclock. Reason for this is because heatsink prices go down a lot and AIO water units are getting very popular. If you want to overclock at all, or go for pure silence then that is really the way you want to go.

Thanks for the input guys,I'm trying to be patient and do my research, cause the money is in the bank, and I can place the order anytime. Been waiting for this build for years.
So My definite choices so far are:
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz
GPU: GIGABYTE GV-N670OC-2GD GeForce GTX 670 , This could be any brand, but a 670 is the choice.
MB: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155, this has to be a Z77 board, and this board seams to get a lot of votes
Those I'm set on, I guess you all are right on the memory, 8gigs will do.
So here are my choices open for suggestions:
Mem: G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
PS: Rosewill HIVE Series HIVE-650 650W Continuous @40°C, 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified, Modular Design
CPU Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO
SSD: Corsair Force Series GT CSSD-F180GBGT-BK 2.5" 180GB SATA III, I want more than 120gig , was looking at 220.
Backup storage: Seagate ST310005N1A1AS-RK 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

One more question. I want a second Monitor besides my 24" Dell, a larger one.
SO is it worth considering a 30* LCD TV or wait for a 27" Monitor to come one sale for under $300?

A quick reply about the phantom 410 case, when shopping on newegg look for green text that says something about a promo code. You can enter that promo code and save money in your checkout list. I'm about to buy the white 410 phantom case and I also posted a thread earlier today about the build I'm getting. Getting to the point the white and the black 410 phantom cases have a 20 dollar off promo code and the gun metal one doesn't right now so you will pay 5 dollars extra for the gun metal one.
White one: Newegg.com - NZXT Phantom 410 CA-PH410-B1 White Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Black one: Newegg.com - NZXT Phantom 410 CA-PH410-B1 Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
I have not yet used one of these cases but they look high quality and have good reviews, just thought I would help you out if you want to save 5 bucks.
Note that the codes end on 1/30

Good luck on your build!

Back
Top Bottom