new gaming beast

Status
Not open for further replies.

insomniac34

Solid State Member
hey this is my first or second post on these forums. After reading for a year I finally have a reason to post. I have almost made enough $$$ for this beast computer I am about to order, and following this week's paycheck I will be placing my order from Newegg.

I would appreciate it if you could post your opinions on these parts and let me know if there is anything available for the same or less price that would serve me better. I am hoping to be able to run ALL current games at maximum settings on a 20 inch monitor, including Crysis, so also let me know how you think it will perform.

Here it goes:

Q6600 Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz: $240
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor - OEM

2x EVGA 8800GT: $460 Newegg.com - EVGA 512-P3-N802-AR GeForce 8800GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

MSI P6N Diamond LGA 775 SLI ATX Motherboard: $180 Newegg.com - MSI P6N Diamond LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

4GB G Skill RAM: $80 Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 250GB HD: $70 Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

APEVIA case: $65 Newegg.com - APEVIA X-CRUISER-BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

OCZ GameXStream PSU: $135 Newegg.com - OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI ATX12V 700W Power Supply 100 - 240 V - Retail

TOTAL: $1230

thanks for the input!

I don't think you'll need 2 8800 gt for a 20 inch just get a 8800 gts g92 and you'll be set. Get a p35 and also you need a cpu cooler. Change the PSU to corsair 520hx and if you want get different ram like ballistix. Also a different case would be nice.

are you sure a single GTS would be capable of running crysis at Ultra high settings with 16x AA and AF enabled? I know there is the new G92 version but I did not know it was that powerful if indeed you are correct.

Also, (I am a newb at this) why do I need a CPU cooler if I am not planning to overclock it?

thanks for the reply & recomendations man!

yeah you do cause its OEM, but what you can do is get the non OEM version which comes with a hsf setup so you don't have to worry about buying an aftermarket one.

ahh well reducing my dual 8800GTs to a single G92 will be a welcome reduction in price, thank you!

Also, while I am on the topic of reducing the price, would a cheaper core 2 duo perform as well as the Quad in games? While I love the Idea of having 4 cores at my command, if there is no real performance increase than of course I should reconsider...

I'd recommend a PSU with a single rail. From what I know, having a single rail is better for gaming (and everything else basically) then having multiple 12V rails.

ahh well reducing my dual 8800GTs to a single G92 will be a welcome reduction in price, thank you!

Also, while I am on the topic of reducing the price, would a cheaper core 2 duo perform as well as the Quad in games? While I love the Idea of having 4 cores at my command, if there is no real performance increase than of course I should reconsider...

If you plan on upgrading soon, and possibly often, then go with an e8400. If you want to keep it for a while, go with a q6600, or a q6700 when the price drops (soon).

I'd recommend a PSU with a single rail. From what I know, having a single rail is better for gaming (and everything else basically) then having multiple 12V rails.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/common-noob-myths-170388/
read number one. The 520hx, or PC power and cooling 610 watt are both great choices. They will both be really great, and provide room for upgrading.

Explanation: Qouted right from PC Power And Cooling: Power Supply Myths Exposed!
"With all the hype about multiple 12-volt rails (ads claim that two rails is better than one, five is better than four, etc.), you'd think it was a better design. Unfortunately, it's not!

Here are the facts: A large, single 12-volt rail (without a 240VA limit) can transfer 100% of the 12-volt output from the PSU to the computer, while a multi-rail 12-volt design has distribution losses of up to 30% of the power supply's rating. Those losses occur because power literally gets "trapped" on under-utilized rails. For example, if the 12-volt rail that powers the CPU is rated for 17 amps and the CPU only uses 7A, the remaining 10A is unusable, since it is isolated from the rest of the system.

Since the maximum current from any one 12-volt rail of a multiple-rail PSU is limited to 20 amps (240VA / 12 volts = 20 amps), PCs with high-performance components that draw over 20 amps from the same rail are subject to over-current shutdowns. With power requirements for multiple processors and graphics cards continuing to grow, the multiple-rail design, with its 240VA limit per rail, is basically obsolete."

Is what I was going from, direct proof from this website (from the power supply sticky)

but for his system, a 520hx is perfect. We do not need to worry about confusing someone anymore with something as complicated as a psu. But when it comes to a system like his, a 520hx will cut it perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom