New to the forums Looking build advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
First apologies for bumping this old thread .. I didn't want to create another and wanted all the info consolidated. With Christmas coming up I have decided to forgo my all out build for myself and instead am building 2 computers 1 for each daughter. I made a thread for that reason and had great replies, going to make them help me so they can learn at a younger age then I did (hopefully get rich and you know take care of me when I am older haha). This leads me to my dillema .... what about me??? I am going to post my current system that I built back in 2007. I would like to know what would need replaced, what I can continue to go with and possibly have an ok system to really game on while my kids get a great present and some knowledge ... win win and the wife will smile haha Again I do apologize for bumping this

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Stacker 830 Evolution RC-830-SSR3-GP Silver Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case Real Power Pro 1000W Power Supply Case (this is still in great condition but the power supply is now 4 years old so I may have to replace that)
Newegg.com - ZALMAN CNPS 9700 NT 110mm 2 Ball Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler CPU cooler (If I have to upgrade can I still use this?)
Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Windsor 3.2GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core Processor ADX6400CZWOF CPU (Currently at 3.4 on air)
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-MA790FX-DQ6 AM2+/AM2 AMD 790FX ATX Ultra Durable II AMD Motherboard MoBO (believe with bios update I can use the new AM3 Phenom II)
Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model BL2KIT12864AA1065 RAM (hate these sticks .... going to upgrade)
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100215L Radeon HD 3870 512MB 256-bit GDDR4 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card Video Cards (in crossfire havent ran 3dMark in over 2 years on it but was pulling 17k at the time)

I have enough storage 2x 7200 drives but I have a feeling I will have failure at some point but not to worried yet since I have backups. Just let me know what you think I should replace and what I can still rock on with. Thank you!!

i really like the look of that case, why haven't i seen it before... :p (probably costs alot too >.<)

your case looks fine, that psu that it came with appears to have reviewed pretty well too, and also has a 5yr warranty. with that said, i don't know how much it could've degraded over time.

you could upgrade the cpu though. for your particular board, it looks like the best cpu you could upgrade to is a x4 965 (with a bios update).
http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=2690

if you upgrade to another cpu for that board you'll still be able to use your cooler, if you change you board out for say an lga1156 or 1366, you might be able to use it on those with an adapter if zalman made any, since those sockets aren't listed on the compatibility list there.

ram you could upgrade too. add 2 more gigs, or (since it sounds like you could be havin some problems with those), get a whole new set (2x2gb).

gfx card, you could upgrade too, just depends on how much you wanna spend.

i really like the look of that case, why haven't i seen it before... :p (probably costs alot too >.<)
I love the case its been rock solid no broken parts really tough, lack of bigger fans annoys me but whatever have not had heat issues even on that Athlon X2 OC (they are notorious for heat once you hit the cieling on them)

Ok here is what I have let me know MM if you think this will get me through the gate playing FF14, Dirt 2 ect. I am pretty reserved to the fact that I wont be able to max things but playable and pretty is ok at this point

RAM good reviews (still not DDR3 which makes me cry inside but sacrifices here have to be made)
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-2GBPK

And went with a 5850 vice the 5870 I can eat the 15% performance loss for the $$ saved
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!

So yes no maybe, I want to make sure I dont have to many bottlenecks. I am worried about the RAM but not sure what I can do with it being the max the board supports

that ram set looks good.

if you want to save some more money still with the combo, you could get it with a 955 instead.
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!
965 = 955. only difference is they upped the multiplier on the 965, but you can do this yourself in a few seconds and save $15. although if you're after a max OC, then the 965 might net you some extra mhz.

will the games you play run ok? hm, well i'm havin a hard time finding some hard numbers on ffxiv, but for dirt 2 it looks like even if you play at 1080p or a 30'' monitor, it should be playable on ultra settings (not as high if you start turnin up aa/af though), with a 5850.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom