New Era of PC Gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

AK4Life

Baseband Member
With the G80 Series coming and the m2 sockets witht he AM2 Cores on their way, will this mean that most gaming PC's will have to be upgraded to keep up with the game's requirements? And if so how much do you think it will cost. Heres my Thoughts.

IF indeed games get to that level of graphics, it will be, non the less, sick. heres my calculations

8800GTS $660=-
m2 Socket Mobo $150+
AM2 CPU's 300+ (for good CPU) $300+

So it will cost $1000+ for this new system when it comes out. Do you think i'm right?

You won't need to upgrade because of AM2. The performance differences between AM2 and 939 will be minimal. Unless there is a M2 overclocking revolution, no need to upgrade.

A 7800GT will still last you a while. A 8800GT ($400?) should be enough to run games at max for even longer.

Only think I forsee upgrading is the videocard, if even that. Those with a GeForce 7 should stay put.

Now the Ageia PhysX PPU...thats another thing.

Whats so special about the Ageia compared to the 8800GTX? Specs on the 8800GTX are godly. 1ghz memory *Drools*

The PhysX card calculates Physics in a game. Takes a load off the CPU as a bonus.

Much more useful than a 8800GTX.

I'd rather have a PhysX card and a 7800GTX than just a 8800GTX.

So in general what ur saying is Run a 7800GTX and PhysX card in SLI, PhysX does the Physics of the game where as the 7800GTX runs the Rest of the graphics, and CPU processing goes down without worrying about the physics, correct?

Exactly. But the PhysX card isn't a video card. You don't run it in SLI. The 7800GT goes in a PCI-E slot and the PhysX card does into a regular PCI slot.

But if i do end up getting the PPU, id actually be spending more money than just buying an 8800GTX, $400 for 7800GTX + $200-$300 PPU. $600+. The 8800GTX is said to be around $500-650

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom