New CPU Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ulater6000

Daemon Poster
Hey, I am currently in the market for a new CPU, and so far I am looking at either a 3800x2 or a 3700+. First of all, which one would offer more performance for gaming, and second of all, I know that xp home is only liscenced for one cpu and the x2 is technically 2 cpus, so if I did get the 3800x2, would I have to buy a copy of xp pro for it to work smoothly, or would an x2 work smoothly on xp home?

ulater6000 said:
I know that xp home is only liscenced for one cpu and the x2 is technically 2 cpus, so if I did get the 3800x2, would I have to buy a copy of xp pro for it to work smoothly, or would an x2 work smoothly on xp home?

lol, I'm sorry, I don't mean to make fun, but I am amused. XP will work wonderfully AND legally with one copy. When you heard that XP is legal for one "CPU", the person telling you that meant it needs to be stored on one computer only. It should only be on one Hard Drive if you want to talk about which component you use.

As far as deciding on the processor, read one of the 47,364 other threads that have cropped up in the past 3-4 months about single core vs. dual core.

Ryan

You can read up on it but in short the X2s will work on XP home as ti's still one processor it just has two cores. As for games the 3800+ will play games well currently and the dual cores are the only processors that will improve in time as support for them is gained instead of degrading like the single cores which rely entirly on clock speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom