new cpu

Status
Not open for further replies.
the fastest CPU depends on what applications you run.
for gaming, the Athlon 64 FX-57
for gaming + multimedia, the Athlon 64 X2 4800+
for raw CPU power, and multitasking in 8 threads, the Opteron 852

and like Dark_Sniper* said, it also depends on your budget. you might not be able to pay for really high-end CPU's. especially the 852, which is about $1500 US on its own

the fastest CPU you can get in your motherboard (Socket A) depends on how high the FSB goes in it. you'd be lucky if you have 400, but I'd say you probabbly have 266 and maybe 333.
the highest-end Athlon XP is the 3200+ (400 FSB)
the highest end Sempron in Socket A, I think is the 3100+ (that might be only socket 754 though)
there is the 2800+ with a 333FSB

If the moneys are there i would upgrade more than just the processor. Spread your money around on getting a mobo, ram, and processor. maybe even an upgrade on the video card if that's in the budget.

i just found that i can go up to an athlon xp 3000 barton as long as i have the latest bios which i do and i can get it for $90

benzimm86 said:
They are the same price so if they both would work i would take the 2800. do you think they will work?

amd 2600
http://www.icreseller.com/detail.aspx?ID=1439
amd 2800
http://www.compuvest.com/Description.jsp;jsessionid=XU1iDXolgqbaw62-?iid=122278

Both of those processors will work with your motherboard. The 333MHz FSB will simply reduce to the maximum of your motherboard, 266MHz. As you guessed, the 2800+ is a better choice than the 2600+, but I'd recommend buying from Newegg unless you prefer CompuVest. The same model CPU may be found here, but it is in a retail box rather than OEM, meaning it will come with a stock heatsink and fan. Even though your current ones should work as well, it wouldn't hurt to install the new ones. It is $7 more on Newegg, but the shipping is free and very fast; don't be surprised if it comes a day early.

The other posters are right though, this isn't too big of an upgrade. If possible, a whole new system should be built. Of course, financial issues prevent a new computer, but for $100, is a 300MHz boost worth it to you?

As the others suggest, I doubt seriously you will see that much speed difference going from 2100 to 3000...wait save and do it as a toatl upgrade, and you will be much happier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom