morrty

Baseband Member
Just got done building a computer...

C2D E6300
GB-965P-DS3
2gb corsair ddr2 800
550 ultra PSU
bfg geforce 7900

I go to start it up and it makes like a revving sound, the cpu fan wont spin... dont think its getting power but its plug into the mobo. I hooked up a case fan to the mobo and it barely spins. Hooked up the case fan straight to the psu and it spins just fine.

Anyone know what this could be?

Take your entire set-up out of the case and connect it on cardboard, wood or plastic.

Try reseating the memory and the cpu.

Try putting one stick of memory in the slot farthest away from the cpu. See if you can boot the board then.

Try booting with no memory or with slow DDR2 memory.

Try to see if you have the cpu fan connected correctly, and if you havent mixed around any +- ends (goes for USB, power connectors etc. as well).

See if your jumpers are all set to default (check the manual for default values).

Try to remove the motherboard battery, switching the jumper caps for at least 10 seconds and then back, and put the battery back in.

If none of this works, have your vendor test the motherboard or the whole system.

ty, go try these now, Im figuring that it might be a short... ill go try it,, thx

nothing... i disassembled it, took out the cpu, reseat it, put new theremal paste on, tryed booting it up again and still the same problem.

Im beginning to wonder if its the PSU

When I hit the power button the cpu fan jerks but does not spin and it sounds like its trying to spin. Same with a case fan hooked up through the mobo. I tried booting with no ram, and 1 ram stick in the farthest slot and still the same problem, it doesnt even boot into the bios at all... nothing

Just checked the fan on the PSU and it spins up for a seocnmd then stops as well.... for some reason this computer isnt getting power so is that a problem with the PSU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom