D'Artagnan1673

Baseband Member
I just put together a new computer w/ the following specs:

AMD Athlon 64 3200
ECS KN1 SLI Lite
Nvidia 6800x
1 gig ddr 400 RAM
Maxtor HD SATA

Here is the problem. I boot into Windows XP Pro setup and it gets all the way to the end of installing all the drivers and it says "Starting Windows." However, the machine then hangs and comes up with one of those lovely Windows memory dump errors asking you to uninstall any new hardware or run manufacturer's software. I've never run into this.

Any thoughts?
Thanks

Start by eliminating 1 potential problem at a time. The most common in your case are 1) RAM and 2) the HDD.
It's not the disc, however you will want to rule this out. The first thign you should do is try another Windows CD. You will want to rule that out first.

Replace the RAM with a different brand of RAM. Even a smaller amount....it doesn't matter.

If you are still coming up with problems, try another SATA drive. You can pick up a test 40g WD SATA (WD400 I believe) for around $30-$40. If you are still having the same problems move to the video card and then the board.

Thanks for the info. We figured it out when we noticed that my "F-lock" doesn't come on by default. Therefore, the OS did not register when I hit F6 to install a 3rd party driver. With that corrected the machine passes that point. Now I just have Dload the correct SATA driver.

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom