New Computer Plans:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uh.. could you clearify that a little bit.. I don't know if it's because I was up late at a party last night... or if Iam tired or what but Iam not sure Iam getting what your saying lol

Iam not sure on the vid cards, you said GTX- but you linked a Ultra... so that didn't help much.. and the 8800 from fatality is pretty impressive- even comparing it directly to the ultra- its up to par with it on most things. In fact.. choosing between the two:

The ultra- for 300 dollars more only seems to give these advantages
128 v 96 stream proccessors
1510 v 1500 (Mhz) shader clock
103.68 v 80 (Gb/sec) bandwidth
384 v 320 (bit) memory bus
2160 v 2000 (mhz) memory clock
768 v 320 (mb) video RAM
612 v 650 (mhz) core clock (no I didn't switch them- the fatal1ty has higher)

SO to me- its a waste of money for the ultra. 300 dollars more for minimal improvement- expecially when I've been on a 128 mb Radeon for like 7 years and it still plays Doom 3, UT2k4 and FEAR flawlessly. So the 768vid I find useless- if 128/256 can handle it, 320 definately will. You gain very little in buying the ultra over it- the clock speeds are slightly faster (except in the case with core clock) and anything with 320 bit memory bus is going to scream for games- heck even 128 bits work well.

Final conclusion for me- 4 hours of reseach and thinking- 8800 ultra OUT. Not enough performance for its price.

XFX GeForce 8800 GTS - Fatal1ty edition - beautiful card, and not just its colours.

Even if 8800GTS had higher clock speed, the 8800Ultra will still give you more Texture and pixel fill rate.

612MHz with 32 TMU will give you more Texture fill rate than 650MHz with 24 TMU

612MHz with 24 ROP with give you more pixel fill rate than 650MHz with 20 ROP

A stock 8800Ultra is better than Fatal1ty edition in every way.

However, MSI 8800Ultra has 660MHz clock speed and 2300MHz memory speed, and it is under $600 in newegg, it has higher clock and it cheaper than other Ultra
Newegg.com - MSI NX8800Ultra-T2D768E-HD-OC GeForce 8800Ultra 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

You said that your 7 years old Radeon runs FEAR flawlessly ??!! Are you trying to fool us ? FEAR need a video card with pixel shader support. 7 years ago there were no video card with pixel shader support.

Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ Windsor 2.8GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Processor - Retail

this i think would be the closest thing AMD has come to competing with an e6600

I get sick when I hear people saying that 5600+ is comparable to E6600

No it is not

From xbitlabs

average.png

And this is from AnandTech, even E6550 outperforms 5600+ easily (source)

untitledkl6.jpg

The closest thing to 5600+ is E6420 and the upcoming Allendale chip (E4600) which is supposed to come out tomorrow

this i think would be the closest thing AMD has come to competing with an e6600 its almost half the price but almost the same performance its 90nm and

E6750 is better and cheaper than E6600

Intel didn't drop the price of E6600, thats why it is a little expensive compared to the other processors

I get sick when I hear people saying that 5600+ is comparable to E6600

No it is not

From xbitlabs

average.png

And this is from AnandTech, even E6550 outperforms 5600+ easily (source)

untitledkl6.jpg

The closest thing to 5600+ is E6420 and the upcoming Allendale chip (E4600) which is supposed to come out tomorrow

E6750 is better and cheaper than E6600

Intel didn't drop the price of E6600, thats why it is a little expensive compared to the other processors

sae with the e63xx e64xx and e6700

Even if 8800GTS had higher clock speed, the 8800Ultra will still give you more Texture and pixel fill rate.

612MHz with 32 TMU will give you more Texture fill rate than 650MHz with 24 TMU

612MHz with 24 ROP with give you more pixel fill rate than 650MHz with 20 ROP

A stock 8800Ultra is better than Fatal1ty edition in every way.

However, MSI 8800Ultra has 660MHz clock speed and 2300MHz memory speed, and it is under $600 in newegg, it has higher clock and it cheaper than other Ultra
Newegg.com - MSI NX8800Ultra-T2D768E-HD-OC GeForce 8800Ultra 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

You said that your 7 years old Radeon runs FEAR flawlessly ??!! Are you trying to fool us ? FEAR need a video card with pixel shader support. 7 years ago there were no video with pixel shader support.

lol... didnt realize he threw in 7 years there... was that back in the days of dx8??? .... lol.. and thank you for the better description of why its better.... due to my lack of wording last night

@ maroon1 - what about the amd 64 fx- 62 chip? I notice you just have the X2 series listed Vs the Intels- got any input on the FX series?

and Fear- plays flawless- Iam not saying its high graphics guys- stop tryin to blast that- its low texture and base shadows.

in fact iam playing hellgate: london on the 128 now too.. and its runnin smooth, and HG:L is only in beta testing design for dx10 but with 9 support.

and to clearify more- its a 5 year old card not 7- the base computer/mobo/hdd is 7. the old rage card was taken out. and a radeon 9000 put in.

@ maroon1 - what about the amd 64 fx- 62 chip? I notice you just have the X2 series listed Vs the Intels- got any input on the FX series?

and Fear- plays flawless- Iam not saying its high graphics guys- stop tryin to blast that- its low texture and base shadows.

in fact iam playing hellgate: london on the 128 now too.. and its runnin smooth, and HG:L is only in beta testing design for dx10 but with 9 support.

the FX-60 and FX-62 are about on par with lower end Core 2 Duo's, i'd say your better off with the e6750 or the q6600

hmm ok so that furthers it- if they can make an AM2 chip before i buy the mobo that out performs the intel- or up on par with the e6700 (i think... was that the one i decided... gerr.)or atrue quad core up on par (I don't like intels quad cores right now- yes powerful- but could be so much more powerful) then Ill slink back to my AMD ways- other then that though- since amd hasn't made any major breakthroughs in a while.. and there quad core is iffy at best.... looks like ill be the first in our LAN to switch to Intel.

now to look at vid cards and what they compete with...

one more thing- Ive seen a lot of controversy over this subject so I figured Id ask and see where it goes-

Using a dual core 64 bit proccessor- what would be the best/most stable OS for it? (in windows)
Xp pro 32 bit
Xp Pro 64 bit
Vista...
Vista 64

some mentions of major problems were around the 64 bit os and games... I don't want to kill my performance just from my OS choice. (and this may be old news with fixes done and no problems)

Please keep your biased opinions to yourself- expecially the "don't go with vista it sucks" ones... first off if you can't play your game in vista- the game has or is making a fix for it you download and apply and you run again- if your too lazy to do that then fine- but don't blame it on Vista- it's not actually it's fault. I have been on Xp Pro SP 2, but Iam having multiple problems lately (could be just from the Harddrive- but keeping an open mind)

hmm ok so that furthers it- if they can make an AM2 chip before i buy the mobo that out performs the intel- or up on par with the e6700 (i think... was that the one i decided... gerr.)or atrue quad core up on par (I don't like intels quad cores right now- yes powerful- but could be so much more powerful) then Ill slink back to my AMD ways- other then that though- since amd hasn't made any major breakthroughs in a while.. and there quad core is iffy at best.... looks like ill be the first in our LAN to switch to Intel.

now to look at vid cards and what they compete with...

the 6000+ 's closest competitor is like an e6550 actually... but the e6550 beats it

the 6400+ is maybe around a e6600 but the 6400+ just has an unlocked multiplier but if you want taht... its definitely not worth it, its easier to get a 5000+ Brisbane Black Edition, and just push the multiplier up one... and its on the speed of the 6400+ except the Brisbane is 65nm and runs cooler... unlike the Windsor 90nm

well this just got postponed I went to go shopping and there was a loud clunk in my engine- followed by the most ungodly metal grinding sound I've ever heard. inspecting it the *******s at jiffy lube forgot to tighten my oilpan and all the oils drained- probably threw a rod or something >.< son of a freaking banana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom