New Computer Plans:

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok first off yes the human eye can percieve more then 200 fps in real situations- however- your monitor and technology limits it- your getting 2xx fps on a game- but really your losing a ton of that in your monitor transmission- even then if you did buy a huge and expensive monitor- your never going to be satisfied if you base things solely on fps. you can make a movie, game whatever at 30fps and not lag stutter or anything- it can be as fluid as anything else- why? more attention to detail.
60 fps became the standard quite recently in history- but the computer lifestyle has kept kicking this up higher and higher- reseach a video camera- what fps does it record? chances are its 30 or 60. and they move fluid and lifelike... The game industry does not need more then about 160 fps standard- expecially if you dont have a 3k dollar monitor.(average price of one to support an actual 500 fps feedback in 2006)

SECONDLY you said "pwns" ... this right there shows you spend a lot of time in games- and really discourages me from reading your posts. I already said benchmarks are a start- yet your not listening. Youve got your opinion so far rehersed that you believe anything about "your choice" over competition. And once again your not mentionging the Fatal1ty version- just the general gts. Your assuming that all gts are the same and you should know better if youv'e "personally tested" all the ones youve listed (although "low end" is funny since its over double what most people have right now)

I don't know oblivion in fact I've never heard of it until now- apparently its not a game that I was interested in on reviews and I pushed it out of my mind- so regardless of what it needs- its not what I care for.

and your 500 mb textures lol... so it takes more then 1 second to get them big deal.. I hardly ever play with "bloom" "glow" and other effects on anyway- i tend to hate them- and i generally turn down some texture- some games just don't look good to me with full detail. In fact.. I don't think I've ever played a game "full detail" with everything checked... I enjoy the game for the game.. not because its eye candy.

as for you going crossfire - best of luck to you on that.. I give a little laugh though.. your looking at- with your "high end cards" a 23% performance increase... by spending twice as much. Until the technology comes out to better support this idea its rather wasteful - UNLESS you just want it so your cards do less work and live longer- then by all means use 2 or even 4 cards.

How bout this. Keep in touch with me- when I get my card (or one similar) Ill do some benching and other things for personal results and not just magazine hype or gamer reviews. Then I'll post them. and on top of that Ill keep it running and in 5 years Ill contact you again. Well see how "bad" the card plays on the future games your so worried about. Iam predicting- mild interferance at most- flawless gameplay- maybe only on moderate graphical settings- but as I said... eye candy isn't as satisfying for me as going 100-0 in tourny.

okay 1... the human eye can far surpass 60fps, but refresh rates of monitors, usually 60-75hz limites the screen to only displaying 60-75 fps... the rest being dumped.... and 2. that 30fps is gonna make a HUGE difference in games in the future when that 320mb can't take it.... dx10 performance already shows the 8800gts 640mb pwns the 320 mb (dx10 benches at least)...

now i'm not saying the 8800gts is a bad card, i have owned an 8800gts 640mb myself, and it in fact did play games flawlessly... but me being a person who needs games in the future to run well.. i wouldnt go for the 320mb.... the way crysis is running for me on this 2900xt/pro i'm not satisified! so i'm hoping it is just beta fault... but i am gonna go crossfire anyway.. lol

if been on every side of the field of graphics card... low end (7300gt) mid ranged (8600gts) and high end (x1950xtx, 8800gts 640mb, and now 2900xt/pro)... i would say i'm pretty knowledgable in the field of graphics card in some sort of way, due to actual hands on experience, and not just basing it off some stupid websites....

but if i were to suggest anything.. it would be the 2900pro as stated earlier.. these things overclock easily to 2900xt speeds for less than 300 dollars! i've never been so satisfied with a graphics card

and as for games not using more than 128 mb... HA, you make me laugh that is hilarious.. oblivion uses well over 500mb's of texture... let me take you over to xtreme systems... and i'll show you many games under different circumstances that'll use far more than 128mb (and as a side note, i am not saying that the amount of ram is going to make a huge different.. only stating that games can go far beyond 128mb use....) and the ram of the 8800gtx's and ultra's can clock far beyond that of an 8800gts

RIGHT ON "mr.push things to their limit"

well the 8800gts from fataility is still... an 8800gts is it not... unless its running some higher voltages, i don't see it having any performance gains in overclocking in any kind of way.... unless maybe your too lazy to slide a bar in the nvidia control panel to reach those speeds...

and me personally... i love having everything full blast.. to me spending 300 dollars extra to get 30% difference is worth it.... i love having AA at 8x and AF at 16x... and hdr and bloom love having it on, lighting looks much better.. i don't buy top notch hardware, to not play with its new features.... i wanna see everything it was made to do....

and movies playing at 30 frames/sec is much different than a game running 30fps... a video uses a motion blur to make it look smooths... games... do not.. playing at 30fps looks like complete and uuder crap.. and it soo slow for me...

and as for going crossfire to increase lifespan of the card... neverheard of anyone doing that... i'm a huge fan of overclocking, and i could care less if my hardware lasted me a year or two.... cuz i simply love buying hardware, i love seeing the differences between cards... even if i do blow my wallet up.

now i'm done rambling.. because ones opinion on whats "worth the money" is always going to be different..... i was simply stating that games do more than use the extra ram.. and that the 8800ultra's and gtx's will last much longer than a gts... seeing as you probably won't be seeing any huge architechtural changes for another year (probably at the least) when the 9 series comes out... maybe we'll have an 8900gts/gtx..... but it won't be no amazing jump.. look at 7800 to 7900.. nothing too impressive....

i know not all people are out for the best of the best... but again, i'm just stating that some games.. will use all those extra lil goodies that the 8800gts don't have... the 4 pixel pipelines between the 7800gt and 7800gtx is a pretty nice example... and if i remember correctly, its volted higher?

pixel pipelines are for dx 9.0- not 10.0 if your judging new cards by pixel piplelines... you need to catch up lol.

and the crossfire/sli thing is a fact- look at it this way: when you distrubute the load from games/etc onto more then one proccessor- each proccessor works less to get the job done right? (yes if you dont know) it works the same with video cards. Cuts the amount of work each card has to do in half or 4ths if youve got 4 running in quad cross. Thus- less work- longer life. Or for your overclocking fun- OC each card to its max and cross it- they will last longer AND youll get a crazy boost in performance.

so other then turning this into a video card war- do you guys have any input on the other parts? perhaps a recommended PSU to power this beast?

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-520HX ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 520W Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC Class B, TUV, CCC, C-tick - Retail

or

Newegg.com - PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610 EPS12V EPS12V 610W Continuous @ 40°C Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, cUL, CE, CB, TUV - Retail

I was going to go with one of these two (probably the silencer). Since you're not going SLI, either one should be more than enough to power your system. Maybe a little overkill, so you could probably look for one a little cheaper if you wanted

Edit: Actually... maybe I like the CORSAIR CMPSU-520HX more...

for a psu.. you could get away with the corsair 520 watt...

and i talked about pixel piplines as an example from the old 7 series.. now we have more stream processes and what not.... it was just an example.... you know.. with the difference in the 8800gts and gtx.. you catch that one yet... no need to talk to me like a 5 year old child...

whats the amps on the 12v rails on those? I cant seem to find it >< Iam looking for at least 30- hopefully toward 40

***Update***
DFI Blood Iron Intel P35 Mobo
XFX GeForce 8800 GTS Video Card 320mb
G.Skill 4GB DDR2 800 RAM
Intel E6750 (1333 FSB) 2.66Ghz Dual Core 64bit
320GB Hdd Sata 3.0Gb/sec 7200 RPM
CD rom with lightscribe etc
22in LCD, 5ms Delay
Case

Still no PSU selected... trying to get more info on- hows the computer sounding now? (current price around 1200)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom