New Computer, Old Hard Drive

Torey316

Banned
Alright so my friend had me put together a computer for him the other day and it should be coming pretty soon.

Hes getting:
New Case
New Mobo - "Can't Remember ATM"
New Video Card - GTX 560 Ti
New PSU
New RAM - Corsair 8GB DDR3 1600
New CPU - Intel i5 3330

Now my question is, Since he is keeping his old hard drive that already has Windows 7 installed on it, and I think he wants to keep it the way it is not do a new reinstall. Can he just put everything together, start it up and will it boot into windows as if it did on the other computer?

If it doesn't what can he do to make it so.

If it does, with all the new hardware how can he be sure to remove all the old drivers before installing the new ones.

It's Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium.

Also during boot up it will post correctly right? So he could just pop in the CD and enter Windows 7 installation then wipe the HDD and all is well.

If you want to go the full wipe / reinstall method, then yes, just boot off of the CD and wipe the drive. Make sure you backup important data first..

He's going to try and just put it in and see what happens, if it works, is it fine to just install all the new drivers or does he need to uninstall the old ones and if so whats the best way to make sure they are uninstalled.

Should be able to just install the new drivers. It should autodetect a lot of them; ones that it doesn't detect will have to be installed manually.

Like I said though, Home Premium last time I tried it just threw BSOD's when it tried to boot in the new machine...

I mean isn't it only Mobo and Video Card drivers?

Yeah, I know, just worth a try though. It's full of games etc.

If he currently has an Nvidia card with the latest drivers installed then yea just pop in and go. If he has anything else uninstall first, install new hardware, then install new drivers. You don't need any mobo drivers besides possibly need audio.

Back
Top Bottom