new computer need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

imabballfreak35

Solid State Member
Hey, i am getting a new dell computer. which do you think is better? I am going to be using it for a little bit of everything, so let me know which u think is a better overall pc. and if you have any suggestions on another computer brand NOT including building my own :D thatd be great. Thanks

XPS 625
Date & Time: March 24,2009 11:00 AM CST

SYSTEM COMPONENTS
XPS 625 Qty 1
XPS 625 featuring AMD Black Edition processors, Genuine Windows® XP Professional SP3 (Vista 32-bit Ultimate Downgrade to XP (English)) Unit Price $1,658.00

Save $145 on select Dim XPS625 systems through Dell Small Business!
Special offer View Details
- $145.00

Catalog Number: 4 BX1S122A
Module Description Show Details
XPS 625 XPS 625 featuring AMD Black Edition processors
Operating System Genuine Windows® XP Professional SP3 (Vista 32-bit Ultimate Downgrade to XP (English))
Processors AMD Phenomâ„¢ X4 9850+ Black Edition (2.5GHz/125W)
Memory 4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz - 2 DIMMs
Keyboard Dell USB Keyboard
Monitor No Monitor
Video Card CrossFireX, Dual ATI Radeon HD 4670 512MB
Hard Drives 500GB Performance RAID 0 (2 x 250GB SATA 2 3Gb/s 7200 RPM HDDs)
System Color Black Bezel Chassis
Floppy Drive & Media Reader No Floppy Drive
Mouse Dell Optical USB Mouse
Network Card Integrated Gigabit NIC Only
Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 9.0 Multi-Language
CD ROM/DVD ROM Single Drive: 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability
Sound Cards Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
Speakers No speakers (Speakers are required to hear audio from your system)
Office Productivity Software (Pre-Installed) Microsoft® Works 9.0 Does not include MS Word
2nd Hard Drive 500GB - 7200RPM, SATA 2 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache
Security Software McAfee SecurityCenter with anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall, 15-months
Hardware Support Services 1 Year Ltd Warranty, On-site Service, and HW Warranty Support
Installation Services No Onsite System Setup
Support 1 Year Complete Care Accidental Damage Protection
LABELS Vista Premium Downgrade Transactional Desktop
Cooling Option XPS Standard System Cooling

TOTAL: $1,513.00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Studio XPS
Date & Time: March 24,2009 10:57 AM CST

SYSTEM COMPONENTS
Studio XPS Qty 1
Studio XPS featuring Core i7 processors, Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1, 64-Bit Unit Price $1,493.00

Catalog Number: 4 BX1S510
Module Description Show Details
Studio XPS Studio XPS featuring Core i7 processors
Operating System Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1, 64-Bit
Processors Intel® Core™i7-920 Processor(8MB L2 Cache, 2.66GHz)
Memory 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz - 6 DIMMs
Keyboard Dell USB Consumer Multimedia Keyboard
Monitor No Monitor
Video Card ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB
Hard Drives 1.28 TB Performance RAID 0 (2 x 640GB SATA 3Gb/s 7200 RPM HDDs)
Floppy Drive or Media Card Reader No Floppy Drive or Media Reader Included
Mouse Dell Premium Laser Mouse
Modem (External) No Modem Option
Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 9.0 Multi-Language
Optical Drives Dual Drives: 16x DVD-ROM Drive + 16x DVD+/-RW w/ dbl layer write capability
Sound Card Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
Speaker No speakers (Speakers are required to hear audio from your system)
Office Productivity Software (Pre-Installed) Microsoft Works 9
Security Software McAfee SecurityCenter with anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall, 15-months
Hardware Support Services 1 Year Ltd Warranty, On-site Service, and HW Warranty Support
Installation No Onsite System Setup
Support 1 Year Complete Care Accidental Damage Protection
Labels Windows Vistaâ„¢ Premium

TOTAL: $1,493.00

You'll definitely get better performance with the i7. However they'll use low quality parts for like motherboard and ram. You're better off building one yourself if you can.

Yeah, with that kind of budget you could build a much better machine than either of those dells offer.

You'll definitely get better performance with the i7. However they'll use low quality parts for like motherboard and ram. You're better off building one yourself if you can.

Agreed, and GT7 and some other guys here can (if you ask nicely) draw up a build based on your budget. Based on my prior Dell, they seem to whip their systems together as fast as they can. Wire management was aweful. If you truly want to pick the system components, you'd want to build yourself. Also, Dells prices are at a premium, as you are paying for the name. I can keep going but I don't really want to.
-Pure

Number 2, but it is still a flawed build.

Build it yourself. It is easy. The hardest thing (still not difficult) is spreading some paste over the cpu and cpu cooler surfaces to attach them. Just do it. You'll be glad you came here first and were shown the way of the pc.

Hmm, the I7 build shows with 8 gigs of memory. Is that a typo? I thought the i7s required triple channel memory in increments of 3. Also, if you go with Dell, be prepared for all the useless junk (software) that Dell throws in there. I've heard a lot of people reformat right out of the box to start with a clean slate.
-Pure

Edit: I just looked at Dell's site on the Studio I7 that he is looking at. Interesting bit of info. Dell charges $470 to jump from the I7 920 to the I7 940.
To jump from a 640 gig HDD to a 1 TB HDD, they are charging $150. (I just bought my 1 TB drive for a little over $100 from New Egg)

You should build one yourself, its easy, and you feel accomplished when you do it... and people will think you are pro at computers if you do (even if your not, like me)

Yea, people think of you as a wizard or something if you say you built your own computer. But in reality anyone can do it, it's like legos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom