New computer by Jan buy or build? 1500 budg...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mechtech3000

In Runtime
Hey guys I'm going to have a 1500 budget by Janruary or February next year to either build a new system or buy one. My wife already has a Dell we purchased in Janruary this year and I was thinking of maybe just getting another Dell instead of building one. Is it cheaper? Also I already have a Full retail copy of Windows Vista Ult ready to go as well. Can you get Dells without an OS? Anyways what do you recommend? If you do recommend I build one what kind of parts can I expect to buy come Jan or Feb next year?

Thanks,

-Mechtech3000

hey welcome to tech forums,

no its not cheaper to get a dell! read the techies bible. i couldnt really recommed a build for that far away coz i dont know whats goin to be out an at what prices

Can you get Dells without an OS?

Thanks,

-Mechtech3000

Technically no, but if you end up getting a DELL (don't) when it asks you to agree to the terms and services agreement or whatever for Windows, if you click 'No', DELL is required by law to refund your money for Windows. Atleast that worked for me a while ago, might wanna check up on the now...

ok that is what I thought thanks for the feedback. The only reason I bought my wife a Dell is because I wanted her to have a good computer at the time and we couldn't afford to plop the money to build her one so we did the credit way so we could get no interest for a year.

I'll tell you a little bit more of the kind of hardware I like.

I'm an Intel and Nvidia Fan so I'll want to stick with them
I'm probably an even bigger fan of Asus products so I'll defintaly want an Asus mobo, dvd drive, video card unless there is a big reason I shouldn't.
I've had alot of luck with Crucial memory and Kingston currently using in the past so that would be a good option unless stated otherwise.

When do you guys expect the next Gen Nvidia Cards to come out?
Will Intel release the Penryn CPUs end of year?

Case - Thermaltake Armor or Antec 900 or Your choice...
Motherboard - Gigabyte P35-DS3R or ASUS P5K
CPU - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 or Intel Core 2 Duo E6750
RAM - 2 x 1GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800 CAS4
Graphics - EVGA 8800GTS 320MB
Power Supply - SeaSonic S12 550W
Hard Drive - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB 16MB Cache or Samsung Spinpoint 500GB 16MB Cache
Optical Drive - Sony NEC Optiarc DVD Burner
Optional Aftermarket HSF - Tuniq 120 or Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro

The total would be around the $1200-1500 range, depending on which options you pick.

Notes:
1. Unfortunately the Antec 900 case isn't available at Fry's anymore for that low price of $69.99....but I just threw out the newegg link as an option, as well as the option of your choice.

2. I know you like ASUS boards, and I did suggest one...but in my opinion the board to get now, is the Gigabyte P35-DS3R, that I also suggested. It's just an excellent overclocker, and futureproof as well, for the upcoming Penryn CPUs. Ask Sora...he has personal experience with this board.

3. The choice between the CPUs is yours. If you like multitasking heavily, as well as gaming, the Q6600 would be a great choice. But if you're planning on upgrading to the Penryn CPUs, you can save money by going with the dual core e6750. It's a great overclocking CPU. It's been known to hit 3.5+GHz....

4. I threw out the Crucial, because it's my new fav to recommend. I'm getting tired of HZ. But I'll throw out the link as well, if you're interested.
G. Skill HZs
They're both great sets of RAM. It wouldn't matter which you choose. Just a preference for your favorite brand, I guess.

5. For the graphic card. I would suggest the 8800GTS 320, if you plan on gaming in resolutions, under 1680 x 1050. Anything over, you can go for the 8800GTS 640 or the 8800GTX 768, if you can afford it in your budget. But the new 9 series is coming out to. Maybe you should just go for the 8800GTS 320, to save you some money, for a possible upgrade.

6. About the aftermarket HSFs. The Tuniq is linked to petra's, as it is cheaper than newegg's and svc's price tag. I would suggest the Tuniq, if you're going with the Q6600, as it will do a better job than the AF7 Pro. The AF7 Pro will go perfectly, with the dual core e6750.

7. If you want more space, the Samsung Spinpoint 500GB hard drive, gets you 180GB more space, for about $30 more.

I dont understand why no-one suggests the samsung SpinPoint HD. Everyone alwayys suggests that ****ing Seragate Barrracuda even though it is slower and louder...

I dont understand why no-one suggests the samsung SpinPoint HD. Everyone alwayys suggests that ****ing Seragate Barrracuda even though it is slower and louder...

lol....I know how you feel. I guess I forgot about that one. It's my new fav too. I'll edit my previous post. Thanks Vaanish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom